Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 08:53:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC Tiger Moth  (Read 773 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2019, 08:52:17 AM »

During a holiday in Derbyshire it was of course only right that I should visit VMC.  There among other things I purchased a Tiger Moth kit.  Possibly the most superbly produced kit around I think.  Like I am sure are all the other VMC kits.  The attention to construction draughtsmanship and materials could hardly be bettered I feel.   The laser cutting is very good as is the selection of the wood - the right grade for the parts concerned.  All other materials are provided save for dope etc.

So really I thought the build would be the proverbial piece of cake. 

But it was not. For a very simple reason - I have not built from a kit for very very many years!  Consequently I found that I stumbled and bumped my way continually due to one reason and another.  You see for example I found myself cutting out bits or adding bits that just seemed appropriate, which indeed they are!  Had I been paying more attention I would have quickly seen that none of that was necessary - already been thought of and far more efficiently so by the designer.  So overall it is taking longer than I anticipated. 

So has anyone had this problem?

I was reassured to a small degree when I mentioned my “problems” to someone else saying I had not built from a kit for a long while (he likewise) to which the immediate response was “Yes you will struggle!”.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:06:09 PM »

VMC Build Guide.  Page 8, sentence No. 1, "Read and follow the instructions and the plan carefully."  Wink

> So has anyone had this problem?
Nope, but I'd had such a long lay-off I was effectively restarting from scratch so followed the guides very closely. There was the odd resequencing of build order and revision for things like ballast spaces, but no serious tinkering.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »

I have just finished a VMC Cessna and it was an absolute breeze and done without reading the instructions. The plan was sufficient and photos attached. It came out at 17.5 gm and needs 1 gm of nose weight. Initial trimming suggests a .115" x 18" loop of rubber will be sufficient. There is a almost complete SE5 sitting there but I am trying to make this one to dismantle for travel and need to work out how to do the plug in struts.
Ricky
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC Tiger Moth
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:49:05 AM »

Thank you gentlemen, yes suspected it was me because the kit is very good in all respects.  Thinking about it more I don’t think I have built from a kit for over 40 years.  So very entrenched in my ways.  Yes Lurk I did read the instruction book at least twice (being on holiday I had time) but it was simply “habit” that led me to do my own thing.  I hasten to add that I have not modified anything in anyway because it simply did not need anything being so professionally produced in all respects.  Even humble gussets are there laser cut ready to use. 

So I am just a died in the wool relic who finds it difficult to change.  So do I build a few more kits?  Let’s us see.  I am optimistic it will fly as other VMC kits do although from previous experience some model Tigies are not the best performers.  It is in all respects as per plan and materials, the only diversion being the use of Esaki.  Not adept enough to use the kit tissue. Likely to be on the heavy side of course because my models are.  Not weighed anything yet.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 04:48:36 AM »

David,
         I forgot to add the only thing I changed was using Esaki tissue for the covering. I am sure the Tiggie will fly well and will be not too heavy..
Another VMC kit I have built was the Jodel D21 and that is now almost trimmed and was a very straight forward build. Kit wood was light and again I used Esaki and a 6" Ikara prop with a single loop of .130"rubber. Left wing is washed in and the tip has a gurney flap to reduce the bank angle.
Ricky
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 01:47:06 PM »

Thanks Ricky.  Yes Gurney flaps are quite useful!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »

Well my struggle is getting close to being resolved.  I am now fitting the wings!  See photo.  The accuracy of the draughtsmanship and laser cutting is the key to this being fairly straightforward provided of course you have been careful in the accuracy of the build.  Knowing the importance of the incidences being accurate I paid particular attention to that area.  So far then assembly of the wings to fuselage is going OK. 

The wrinkles in the tissue on the wingtip are due to the slightly tight fit of the upper part of the jig compressing the wing chord wise.  But having the jigs a push fit helps assembly.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 05:28:54 PM »

What's a few wrinkles between friends? Smiley

Looks good to me.  Is that the kit scheme?  Kit scheme or no it's rather natty.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 05:26:19 PM »

No Lurk, old fellow, it is one that appeared at an Old Warden  “Moth” event.  Yes it looks very nice but completely spoilt by the finish - so “Mulliner Park Ward” it just isn’t a Tiger Moth - far too pristine - like I remember st school -  goody two shoes teachers pet”.  Never got remotely dirty and all that!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 10:31:37 PM »

It's rather too nice to get dirty David :)You won't be allowed to let it out. Nice covering.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 02:40:26 AM »

Thank you John.  I just have a bit of an aversion to pristine "working" aeroplanes I suppose.  You see see them in museums and the like - high gloss finishes on WWII stuff in particular looks horrible!!  It is insincere!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 04:44:57 AM »

The wrinkles in the tissue on the wingtip are due to the slightly tight fit of the upper part of the jig compressing the wing chord wise.  But having the jigs a push fit helps assembly.

Andrew's (I still miss him here!) laser-cut jigs makes the VMC biplanes a doddle.

On my Camel I dealt with the slight squeeze by relieving the jig-tabs of a bit of balsa until it was just a snug fit - doesn't effect the incidence or anything.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 07:44:29 AM »

I'm yet to use the jigs on my VMC Triplane ... but they certainly have to help Smiley
Could 'stops' be pinned to the jig at the leading and trailing edges to stop the bands wrinkling the tissue?
(By removing the need for the bands)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 06:12:42 PM »

Andrew's (I still miss him here!) laser-cut jigs makes the VMC biplanes a doddle.
. Actually where is Andrew? Workload?

John
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »

I'm yet to use the jigs on my VMC Triplane ... but they certainly have to help Smiley
Could 'stops' be pinned to the jig at the leading and trailing edges to stop the bands wrinkling the tissue?
(By removing the need for the bands)

No rubber bands.  Tamiya masking tape
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2019, 11:03:44 PM »

Actually where is Andrew? Workload?

He has apparently left the forum. He is no longer listed as a member, and his threads/posts are tagged as 'Ex-Member'

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 03:59:19 AM »

Not sure what all the fuss is about on the jigs and the squeezing.  Yes had I not been lazy I could have eased the fit by a stroke or two of fine sandpaper. The slightly more than snug fit meant They stayed in place whilst I fitted the bands and as the bands clearly worked I saw no reason to search for a better way - e.g. masking tape or pins etc.  The masking tape might not be so easy to apply even?

I have the VMC plan for the Triplane and intend to use the some method for setting the wings. 
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 04:18:25 AM »

Sorry, not wanting to cause a fuss David  Smiley
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »

You are forgiven, my son. 

I think it stems from a habit I got into many years back when I departed from the plan and or the instructions just for the hell of it and it suddenly dawned in me that that was a bit silly but also rather conceited in a way because the designer was not at fault.  So I stopped doing it.  That is not to say that like many I don’t have my own pet way of doing things with which there is nought wrong.  And on this occasion s Lurky boy says some posts back what is a wrinkle here and there?  The use of pins on occasion too has resulted in my getting a prick and blood all over the model.
whiskers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 05:48:08 AM »

These VMC Bipe's and Tripe's do interest me and the jigs can only be a good thing. Love the Tiggie and Tripehound which is the best flyer out of them?

Wrinkles...Shminkles...who cares if the odd one is evident? I try toput my sensible head on and live with them if they're not too unsightly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: