Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 16, 2019, 12:12:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimmie Allen Fans  (Read 9206 times)
High Point
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »

Are there any Jimmie Allen model fans out there? Would you share any experience you've had in the past. I've got two kits coming by the end of the week. I ordered the Jimmie Allen Special and the Blue Flash.

Thanks,
Curtis
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »

I am a want to be fan....haven't built on but I also have a kit that I hope
to build someday in the near future. Like you will be reading this post to learn
all I can about them......glad you started this.

Craig h

We will be looking forward to see yours.
High Point
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »

Craig,

Yes, looking for some input, these models have been around for a long time, they look pretty beefy compared to the Dimescale and smaller stuff I've been in to. Anyway the FAC in San Antonio runs a few of these events a year, so I wanted to put one together and join in.

Curtis  
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 95

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »

I've never built one, but do plan on it someday. The Skokie seems to be the dominant subject, but is by no means the ultimate from the all out performance standpoint. I think the Bluebird is a pretty good one.
aeronca52
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »

Yes, I've built the Easybuilt Jimmy Allen BA Parasol kit. It flies very steady with the weight of the large-ish wheel pants keeping it right side up. Not a very good glider but adequate for me. Keeps it out of themals. Always thought of doubling the size for an electric r/c, but I'm too happy with FF rubber.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:09:15 AM »

Watched the Mass Launch event last Sunday with Barbara's tiny JA Special doing a fabulous job against it's bigger brethren Grin

I fancy a Bluebird, but ended up with a BA Parasol kit which has sat on the shelf for years - must get it ready for next years event. Scale Chappie Lindsey Smith (writes for SAM Speaks) campaigned a BA Parasol tarted up to look like an interwar French fighter, but said he preferred his Skokie for ML events.

Look forward to seeing some photos appearing Smiley

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »

Curtis, I'm like you and others, really like the looks of the Jimmy Allen models. I purchased an Easy Built Jimmy Allen Special while in Geneseo. I've just gotta find time to build it. Maybe someday we can have a Jimmy Allen Cookup here. Might get me out the the procrastinating mode. Smiley

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:27:44 PM »

I've seen the Skokie and the Bluebird fly. And fly very well. I like the idea of the Special because it can fly in a few events. But I've not seen one.

I bought the Skokie, but never touched it. Not any time soon, but I could do a JA Cook up. (Twisting my own arm)
High Point
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »

Free Samples of Jimmie Allen Old Time Radio Program:

http://comicweb.com/osCommerce1/catalog/adventures-jimmy-allen-time-radio-program-p-2013.html

Click on:
Jimmy Allen: 1937 episode 8
Jimmy Allen: 1937 episode 9

Curtis
albackstrom
OOS, August 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »

Curtis; I do not consider myself a JA fan but a few years back I built the JA Special. As you said it is overbuilt but it flies great, mine did over 3 mins. at Seguin and I only got it back because Mike Isermann "BalsaBug" chased it for me, I lost sight of it. I am not a JA fan because several of the designs are more complex than I feel sport models should be. I am just about ready to cover a JA BA Parasol, [from a Bob Holman short kit] it looks simple in the pictures but I have done some scale models that were less work in the basic airframe.
This is just my opinion and some of the designs are great fliers and easil built. The JA Special is an example of the simple things.

Al Backstrom USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
High Point
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 12:42:54 PM »

Hi Al,

I recieved two kits from Penn Valley yesterday and I'm excited about building them for some of the events with our group. I did get the JA Special and the Blue Flash. These kits do look stronger yet not as detailed as some of the stuff I'm done this past year. That's kind of what I was looking for and it's kinda neat to build something that modelers were working on back in the 30's up to now. Also the history behind the kits is interesting to me.

Curtis
Mordecai Murphy
Nickel Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »

Curtis,

I've also got a JA Special on my board. It got set aside a while for another project, but it's time I got back to it. This is my first JA, and I thought I'd build this one first as it can also be flown in Embryo. I've missed the last couple outings in Seguin, and due to travel will miss next week's Alamo Escadrille contest as well. I've got a BA Parasol kit from EasyBuilt as well. Bought this one after seeing Alex Techuk's example flying.

Sean from San Antonio
CapnTitePnz
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

I wouldn't call myself a "fan" either but the JA Caribbean Clipper is on my to build list. Interesting - to me at least - the address on my Clipper plan is a local KC address, a couple minutes away from my apartment. Another local plug: Jimmie Allen seems to have been a Kansas City creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Air_Adventures_of_Jimmie_Allen

-Wayne

Fighting gravity since 1978.
High Point
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »

I started the JA Special over the Labor Day weekend. Both sides almost complete. It's kind of nice to be working with 3/32" square balsa again, looks like a strong fuselage. The wing is different from what I'm use to, the ribs on the printed sheet are short, yet tall. Looks like the wing is pretty slinder, but again strong. Hello Sean from SA, it's nice to see you joining in.

Curtis
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »

Curtis and Sean, You Guys have gotten me to pull down the JA Special kit I have. Looks like I will break out my last building board and start building, along with you. I've got one project, an electric free flight airplane called a TomBoy already taking up space, so this may take a while, but I am in on your unofficial JA Cookup.

Caley

Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »

Wayne,
Could you have meant 'MONSOON CLIPPER'? At 29" w.s. it's the only twin in the Jimmy Allen line. Pic (not mine) attached.

Dave Andreski
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Jimmie Allen Fans

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 10:31:53 PM »

Though the 'Monsoon Clipper ' is rare, the 12" British SE 5 is really rare. Pic attached.

Dave Andreski
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Jimmie Allen Fans

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »

Just peeked at the plans and other items included in the kit. Looks like I may do what has been suggested to me concerning curvy fuses. Think I will laminate 1/32 strips, that way it will maintain its shape without much pulling, if any. I'm also looking at just making the ribs and other curved parts, instead of cutting from the supplied printed sheet. Think it will be easier for me and I can choose my wood also. Also may carve a prop for it, as the white plastic one looks kind of heavy. The kit comes with plastic wheels, and those will be made from balsa. I guess what I am saying is that I will pretty much scratch build from the plans, instead of using what was supplied. Will use Esaki tissue instead of the Easy Built tissue also. Got my magnetic building board out and am ready to start.

Caley

Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 11:15:54 PM »

Hi Dave,
Garry Hunter told me a few years ago while at Geneseo that he had a "scale" Jimmy Allen plan. I wonder if that was it? I wonder if they did others.

moon
High Point
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 11:21:12 PM »

Sounds good Caley, sounds like what I found in my box, including the 8" white prop. Carving a prop is something I really have not learned how to do yet. I guess I'll be using the plastic one, but that's OK for now.

Curtis
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 01:30:03 AM »

Curtis, mark out a blank and try it. It's not as hard to do as you might think - the thought is worse than the act
CapnTitePnz
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 11:55:53 AM »

Wayne,
Could you have meant 'MONSOON CLIPPER'? At 29" w.s. it's the only twin in the Jimmy Allen line. Pic ( not mine) attached.

D'OH! Thanks, Dave - yep, that's the one I meant. Maybe I have vacation on my mind...

-Wayne

Fighting gravity since 1978.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 12:09:45 PM »

Hi Kevin,
Though I don't have a listing of all Jimmy Allen plans, I do believe this one's the only Scale ship.

I 'borrowed' that pic from the net a few years ago and have since bought the plan sheet from Graham Knight in the U.K. My plan is a lot rougher than what's pictured.

Dave Andreski

albackstrom
OOS, August 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »

I am using a 7" Peck prop on my JA Special trimmed to meet the 1/3 span rule. It works well using a loop of 3/16" Tan SS.

Al Backstrom USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
jernst
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »

Back when we were doing one of the Jimmy Allen CU's over at FFCU, I came across this page from a website in the UK. While it doesn't provide any plans, it does show picts of some very nice looking JA models:

http://website.lineone.net/~raynes.pk.mac/start.htm

john
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: