Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 11:58:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimmie Allen Fans  (Read 9205 times)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 95

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »

Taking a break from the Clemson game...

Art, I used 8 lb wood for the 1/8 sq longerons on my Moffett (admittedly doubled up in the front section) and it's running 24 strands of 1/8. So long as you ensure torsional rigidity, you can build the entire fuse on a Skokie from 5 lb wood and not worry. 6 strands of 1/8 really isn't that abusive when you get down to it. Remember that the forward fuse has lots of stringers, and they do bear some of the load. Aft fuse, well, I just have to remember to not grab it by that area! Cheesy

As for the landing gear...I have pics of a Skokie by a very well known flyer. The rear struts are free floating with no wire at all. The front struts contain what looks like .031 wire. That should give you an idea of how to kill a pile of weight.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »

I seem to remember the JA Skookie was probably about #3 in my building of Old Time Rubber models, following the Flying Aces Moth and the Pacific Ace. My Skookie came to it's end when all the rubberband tension holding in the nose block from the area of the rear landing gear caused the nose of the model to fly up to the leading edge of the wing above the cabin. It had been flying big wide circles to the right but the dt I was using was the trap door kind that held the LG in position with additional rubber bands. Too much tension of all that on the area built in the front. Will do another Skookie some day, as the wing and noseblock are waiting along with the plans.

FLYACE1946 Huh Roll Eyes Tongue :'(
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »

Hey guys, I've taken it upon myself to build a JA Special. Dug out some super light wood for the fuse, but wasn't quite there on 1/16" sheet for the wing ribs, so the wing came out at least .5 g over what it should be. There's a lot of wood in that wing!

Yet to be added are prop assembly, landing gear, and DT goodies, as well as fittings for the removable tail surfaces. Here are the weights of the bare bones:

Stab+Rudder: .95 g
Wing: 3.23 g
Fuse: 2.81 g
------
Total: 6.99 g

There won't be any pics of the bones...camera is in the car and it's cold out there and I wanna cover it NOW. Cheesy

This looks to be a nice airplane. Might be a 2+ minute flyer if I can keep the weight under 15 g. Fuse should hold at least 10 g of rubber and maybe more.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »

A whole half gram overweight!?! Shocked For SHAME!! 'Fess up - you just didn't want to take the time away from covering to take pics (I'm guilty of that "sin" also Roll Eyes)

Has anyone built the Spartan Bomber? Probably not that competitive, but for me it's the cat's meow.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »

Hi Joshua

The Special is the one that qualifies as an Embryo among other things, right?

Looking forward to the photos.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2010, 12:30:25 PM »

Pit, that's exactly what I'm up to! Grin

Kev, yes and no. It's within most of the restrictions except that mine came out 1/16" too narrow for Embryo. Resolve that, though, and it's legal for FAC OTR, 2-Bit+1, Jimmie Allen, and Embryo. It's also legal for SAM Jimmie Allen, Small Cabin, and commercial rubber. Yea, that's right, SEVEN different events! Not necessarily competitive for many of them, of course, but that's not the point.

I'm almost finished with her...just a few fittings to add, and landing gear and prop. Needs a couple coats of Krylon, too.
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »

I hate reading people talking about how much their planes weigh. I just weighed my BA Cabin, Bob Holloman semi-kit, and came out to 70.17 grams (2.5 ounces). Of course, that's with a 4 strand 3/16 tan II motor and 8 grams of hand-carved prop.
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »

My Skoak nets out at 71.2, which includes about 3.5 for the DT, which it didn't originally have, but which Maxout strongly recommended after a few tune-up flights. As for wood selection, my trademark is broken lower longerons at around the TE. The solution on most of them has been the same as Tom Arnold's, a crossgrain panel of 1/16 at the launch grip position. The lightest wood, even if it's punky, does the job. One of these days I'll learn to include it in the original build, as I don't seem to be getting less hamfisted as I mature.

a.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »

Well the Special came out a bit heavy, 16 g, but it still floats pretty well. I had to add a couple grams of lead to deal with stability problems. The rudder is a bit undersized, especially when you put those fairings on the landing gear.

Pictures later... came out looking pretty sweet.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »

And here she is. Will need some tweaking, but looks like a flyer so far. Jury's still out on whether it will do 2+ in dead air.

Not hard to tell who I root for in college football! Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Jimmie Allen Fans
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2010, 02:19:54 PM »

I just ran across a CAD plan of the BA Cabin, which I understand is a Skokie by another name. Instead of fore and aft .063 struts (which came to 24" of music wire - 9 grams), this version has only a fwd strut of .047 wire and rear balsa false struts hanging loose. I wish I would've known about this one.

art.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Alan Cohen
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »

And here she is. Will need some tweaking, but looks like a flyer so far.

I'd be interested to see how it flies, Josh. I built one and can't seem to get it to behave. It just kind of mushes. I chalked it up to that blunt LE and serious upsweep.

I know enough to know, I'll never know enough to know.

www.hobbyspecialties.com
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »

Alan,

So far so good. It has done about 20 sec in the yard on a loop of 3/16. I switched to a cut-down Sig 7" and that gives a decent motor run. Made a test flight today in 20+ mph winds and it did very well considering. I reckon it was about 30 sec. No mushing, either. Other than a rudder tab, it has needed zero flight adjustments. About as close as you can come to right off the board, and other than wing and tail fittings and removable landing gear, it's exactly per plans, even including the wire wingtips.
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »

I just ran across a CAD plan of the BA Cabin, which I understand is a Skokie by another name. Instead of fore and aft .063 struts (which came to 24" of music wire - 9 grams), this version has only a fwd strut of .047 wire and rear balsa false struts hanging loose. I wish I would've known about this one.

art.

Art, where did you find the plan at? I'd like to see it myself.
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2010, 09:44:29 AM »

Art, where did you find the plan at? I'd like to see it myself.

Answering myself. I stumbled across the CAD version of the plan at the link below.

http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm

The individual pages don't show a URL, so here's what you do.

Click on the link above. On the left of the page, scroll down to 'Plans and Drawings', click that. Now, on the right side, you'll see a list of page numbers. The BA Cabin/Skokie plan is on page 43. Click on the thumbnail illustration and a download window will open.

There are plans of all types of models on these pages, but they are not organized in any way. You just have to go through each page. Any plan that came from 'The Plan Pages' is no longer available on Profili. Some of the others are not as well, but you have to click on them to find out.
ROGER WILLIS
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »

Caley...... I'll bring my Jimmie Allaen BA CABIN to the field at Perris and you can fly it and look at various construction points......

Roger

Roger Willis
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »

Been scanning about 60 years of copies and mag articles into my computer, just to be able to get rid of several hundred pounds of paper from my attic. Came across this article from the May 2002 Flying Models some of you out there might be interested in.
MarcFarmer

« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »

I'm building a Blue Flash Racer right now. Beautiful design. Unfortunately it won't be ready to fly until the spring. The construction isn't too beefy. Mine is the EasyBuilt laser cut kit.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »

This is what the CAD plan looks like...

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »

I'll FINALLY be able to get a "SPARTAN BOMBER" built sometime this winter thanks to PeeTee (he sent me HIS plan Shocked - got it in the mail today Smiley). The sucker is BIG - 32"ws and 25" OAL, calls for at 10" three-bladed prop and drops a cap loaded bomb! I'll have to hone up on my bamboo splitting, tho as all tail surfaces and wingtips are formed from the stuff.

This particular model from the Skelly Oil "Capt' Midnight" series is thankfully included in the "Jimmy Allen" events, even though it's not considered "competitive", it's been my favorite since I was a (small) kid.

Finally able to realize another childhood dream...

Thanks again Peter (PeeTee)!

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
dmar836
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »

So, Pete.  Let's see that Spartan Bomber!
Reviving the thread as I bought an E.B. kit of the Blue Flash Racer. I prefer to use my ow wood, etc. but I have yet to start and it needs to be done for Blakesburg on memorial weekend.  The laser parts are a first for me and should speed up the build.

Dave

How you do anything is how you do everything.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »

So, Pete.  Let's see that Spartan Bomber!
Reviving the thread as I bought an E.B. kit of the Blue Flash Racer. I prefer to use my ow wood, etc. but I have yet to start and it needs to be done for Blakesburg on memorial weekend.  The laser parts are a first for me and should speed up the build.

Dave
Grin
It's one of the top 5 on the project list for this Fall/Winter.  I'm also going to see if a laser short kit is available - that beast has a lot of parts...  I should actually have time to finish projects more or less within a decent timeframe, now that it appears that SFA Forum is also gone.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »

My Jimmy Allen Parasol--built in 2001 and still flying.

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Widdog
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »

I was doing preliminary trimming on my Jimmie Allen DR1 and it flew out to the backyard. http://youtu.be/HQmPfUYLLlk
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »

Awesome. Cheesy That looks great! Grin

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: