Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 06:20:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimmie Allen Fans  (Read 9212 times)
CapnRog

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 12:56:49 PM »

Here's my Sky Chief. It flew great the first time I took it out, but has never flown well since. I have to see if I can get a little washout in the left wing, as it drops it badly. Can't get a consistent power pattern, either. Sometimes it stalls, sometimes it doesn't. Can't get it to turn left in the glide, either. Huh Here's a movie of the one really good flight: http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f199/CapnRog/?action=view&current=MVI_1827.flv
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Jimmie Allen Fans
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 01:27:46 PM »

CapnRog, Very nice model. It looked great in the viddie. And BTW, that's a very nice flying site.

Not sure why you wish the airplane to go left. Also, did you balance it laterally when you were balancing it on CG? You could have a heaving wingtip. If nothing else you could add a little piece of balsa under the wing that's dropping, which acts like a flap to bring that wing up. Just a matter of finding the correct amount needed. I got this tip from a friend.

Also, if it is power stalling more than not, have you added a little more right thrust? My friend and mentor said that can help remedy it. Might take as little as 1/64th shim to do it. That much worked on one of my models that was power stalling.

Also, take a look at this page,

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php/topic,2495.0.html

as some good trimming advice is given here.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
CapnRog

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »

Hi Caley,

Thanks, it was a lot of fun building it. The recommended pattern is right power, left glide. That was more or less standard during that time. I have tried many different combinations of right and down thrust. I can't remember what the lateral balance was. I think it was neutral when I completed the plane. I will check it again. First order of priority is to ensure that the incidence angles are the same for both wing panels. I may have to tear into the center section on the bottom to add a spar to glue wing keys to. The frustrating part is that the thing flies differently each time I take it out. I have had one flight better than the video, but usually, it stalls into the ground, or spirals into the ground. >:(I will keep at it though. Can't let Jim O'Reilly beat me!

Cheers
Cap'n Rog
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »

Cap'n Rog, I look forward to you reporting the model is behaving itself and flying well. It will.

My report on my JA Special is that I've still not started. I should be ashamed, as I was supposed to start last week. Will try doing the first sticks very soon.

How's everyone else doing on their JA model?

Caley

High Point
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »

Caley, I've got both sides built; will start the cross members this weekend. Also the stab has been framed up, starting also on the rudder.

Curtis
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

Curtis, Way Kewl. I am putting things on the board right now, and will get my fuse started. The science of procrastination is too much for me. I'm building.  Grin

Caley

High Point
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 08:46:22 PM »

Sounds good Caley! I already found a Skelly Oil logo on the net to put on mine.

Curtis
Aeronut
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »

Hello, I am looking for plans for the Jimmy Allen British SE5. I can pay for a hard copy and postage or an email scan would be fine and I can enlarge them. The plans will be a gift for a fellow modeler who is not on line but is a big Jimmy Allen and SE5 fan. I don't think Graham Knight is in business any more.. ;o(

Thanks for any help
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »

Like others here, I am looking to build a JA model, hopefully for the SAMs meets next year.
I have the Easy Built Skokie kit.

I shot some video of the JA mass launch at Old Warden a couple of years ago - I'll have to get it uploaded some day.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 06:03:12 PM »

Aeronut, I looked through my digital plans, but couldn't find a JA British SE5. Sorry. Sad Hopefully someone here might have a copy.

Aeronut
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »

Thanks Caley, It sure is a rare little critter. Smiley

Bill
High Point
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 11:21:24 PM »

I had a chance to finish the fuselage framework and the tail feathers, also bent up the tall looking landing gear. I guess the wing is next. This report is on my JA Special. Looks pretty strong.

Curtis
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »

Curtis, Glad to hear that things are coming along nicely for you. Look forward to seeing your creation, if you have a camera and can take a piccie.

I did more procrastinating, but finally made my start.
I made wing rib patterns out of two pieces of 1/16 ply, and cut out 16 blanks. I need to drill two holes in the ply patterns and then stack the balsa blanks and drill holes in them so I can bolt things together for sanding.

I was planning on laminating my longerons, but gave up that idea when I discovered that my 1/32 balsa becomes quite brittle when glued. Not sure why, but one attempt on another model to make a fin outline just crumbled. So I soaked the longeron wood and now have it bent to the proper shape using my magnetic building board. I'll let things dry and see what the results are. Then, if looking good, start one fuse side panel.

Caley

High Point
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 08:24:54 PM »

Caley, this is where I'm at for now; going to start on the wing.

Curtis
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »

Curtis, Looks really good. The longerons sure look thick. Guess it is an illusion because the model is only 20 inches. Wonder if this airplane could qualify for the P-20 class? Probably not do too well in it with such a small wing area.

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2009, 01:32:10 AM »

Good for the 20" class in the WorldWide Postal !

Unashamed plug .... Cheesy
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2009, 05:12:18 PM »

Jim, Hope a lot of people will participate in your WW Postal. I'm working hard to build and get trimmed some models, so I can do so.

Been hard at work building my JA Special. I've got the fuse, fin and stab framed out, as well as most of the wing. The wingtips are giving me the head scratching syndrome, but it is coming along. Very strange wingtip design on this model. EDITED: Took me a while, but I finally figured out that the wingtip is completely built, and then glued to the bottom of the spars. UGH!! I am terrible at reading plans. Sad

It also calls for a wire wrapped around the wingtip. The kit didn't include that, and with the wingtip being so very thin, it needs some kind of beefing up, or the first landing on the wingtip will break it. I've got some very very thin wire that hopefully won't all a lot of weight, but should afford some impact protection. I thought about a strip of 1/64 ply, but not sure how well that would work. Might be lighter and glue on better. When I get the components finished, I'll post a piccie. This isn't one of my better built models. Just hope it will be built well enough to fly.

Wonder if I should make a pop-off wing D/T? This model is light enough to do that kind.

Caley
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:47:33 PM by crashcaley » Logged

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2009, 06:02:50 PM »

Who has the JA plans on this side of the pond? I know that Bob Holman has the plan and short kits, but I think there is someone in England with at least the plans. Looking for the "Spartan Bomber".

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 06:24:06 PM »

Hi Pete, I Googled and couldn't find another source. Hope someone out here can send you a copy.

Caley

Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 95

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 09:14:07 PM »

Wonder if I should make a pop-off wing D/T? This model is light enough to do that kind.

I wouldn't do it any other way. That's the only method that will bring it down in the same county reliably.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 09:49:50 PM »

Joshua, Thanks for your opinion. I think I will do it that way, as I am going to sheet the top and bottom of the wing with 1/32 anyway. All I need to add is a snuffer tube, a couple of swivels and line, and it will be ready to go.

I do have one more question. Since this is pretty much my first wing DT, would I connect the line from the wingtip to the tail end of the model? Reason I as is that one person told me he does it this way, with the model descending nose first. He said it doesn't hurt the model (P-30).

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »

Caley, the wire comprised the entire tip structure on the original. Having substituted a built-up tip you could possibly omit the wire .. just extra weight out in the wrong place.

An alternative effective d/t is a fly-off stab, or fin/stab unit
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 95

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »

Caley, the fellow you talked to is correct. No damage even on pavement.

I've tried pop-off tails, and while they do work, the descent seems a little worrisome. Maybe just me, though. I will say that it goes back to the issue of adding weight in the tail, which is not a good place to add weight. Wink
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »

I'll do the pop off wing. Less complex.

Caley

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2009, 04:54:09 PM »

I just tried putting the wingtip together the way the plan says to do it. All I can say after lots of frustration is that I am not skilled enough to do it per plan. So I am taking another approach. I measured the wing tip elevation that is on the plan, not the dihedral and found it to be 1/8 inch above the bottom plane of the wing itself. I cut the spars and leading edges off and will attach them later with gussets. I just butted up the wingtips to the last rib and glued at the angle required, by adding a shim under the wingtip. As I said, I will retrofit the spars and LE last and reinforce them.

As usual, each model I build has something new and sometimes very difficult and frustrating, but it will come together in the end.

Caley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: