Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 07:40:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: -BUILD- Flyline Velie Monocoupe  (Read 306 times)
Brit_Flyer
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2019, 01:28:39 AM »

Hi there, I am new to the forum and fairly new to the hobby. This is going to be my second build after completing a Guillow's Cessna 180 at the start of the year for my son's nursery. I purchased the Velie Monocoupe kit from OldModelKits and was very happy with the quality given the age (the original receipt was included in the box from 1972).

Starting off with the stabiliser and trying the magnetic building board method.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
-BUILD- Flyline Velie Monocoupe
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:15:40 AM »

That's coming on well for your second build. Those little magnetic clamps are neat.

John
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »

I built one of those years ago, it's a cute little plane.  As I recall, the wing has a single spar on the bottom.  When I shrunk the tissue covering, it bent the wing up into a banana shape. Another spar on the top would cure that.  Good luck!
Brit_Flyer
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 01:07:48 AM »

Thanks Ozpaf, the clamps are from http://retrorc.us.com. They are called Bill's Fingers and they definitely help when an extra pair of hands are needed.
Brit_Flyer
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 01:14:40 AM »

Hi Duncan, I checked the plans and the front and rear spars are at the top of the wing. Thanks for the warning and I'll keep a close eye for any potential warping during the covering.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: -BUILD- Flyline Velie Monocoupe
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »

More precisely, it looks like both spars are "very near" the top of the ribs. In the wing panels, both spars pass through "holes" in rib 3 (typical), and thus appear to be bottom located spars since they aren't shown as continuous lines in the top view. There are nose ribs that attach to the LE and front spar.  You will have to slide the ribs onto the spars before gluing.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »

I love Monocoupes. The original type (kit version here) was designed/built by Clayton Folkerts, for Don Luscombe. interesting to note that Folkert's original rib design is exact same as found in later, more svelt  and sophisticated versions. The ribs have fretted bass web pieces fit with a grooved cap strip top and bottom and the ribs are slid onto full span spars.

I built the Sig 24" Monocoupe 90a kit, years ago and it flew outstandingly. Needed a DT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: