Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 06:29:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Esaki Tissue - still the same?  (Read 439 times)
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »

Hi

Anyone had any issues with Esaki tissue lately.  Just bought a bunch of white from MikeWoodhouse and the sheets don't feel the same as existing stock.  90% the same but definitely not as shiny on the shiny side.  In fact almost impossible to tell which is the shiny side.  Both dull.

Anyone had any issues?

Cheers

Mike
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »

Didn't get the memo???
https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=24445.0
According to that thread, esaki tissue, along with all other esaki model products, has gone belly up.
mick66
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 01:09:25 AM »

Hahah ... yes ... I saw that just after I'd posted mine.

Specifically, I was wondering if anyone in the U.K. Has used the 'Esaki' that FreeflightSupplies are now supplying.  I bought £50 worth the other day to replenish my stocks before I knew about the issue with Esaki.

I haven't used it yet but it's definitely not 100% the stuff I'm used to as far as immediate looks go.  MikeW explained he'd been having issues dealing with the company but didn't say they'd gone belly up per se.

I hope this isn't 'queer' Esaki as it wasn't 'queer' money I used to buy it.

Cheers

Mike

PS that's 'queer' in the Lewis Carroll sense and not the rainbow one.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:13:02 AM by mick66 » Logged
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 04:24:08 AM »

How does the weight compare?
mick66
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 06:17:11 AM »

Hi

Same weight ... same grain, just not quite as shiney on the shiney side.  Enough so that you think, after years of using Esaki ... 'That doesn't look right'.  It's not very shiney at all.

Acid test is to use it I guess.  But I was just replenishing stock to be honest ... against the day when there might not be any Esaki left!  My worry being I always applied shiney side down and it never really adhered very well the other way round.

Surprised no-ones noticed unless it's just me being overly analytical.
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 12:23:13 PM »

Bill Hannan once wrote "one man's 'superfine' is another's 'sheet iron'...", in specific reference to tissue choice/use.

Me? I've never quite understood the snobbery,mystique and brew-ha-haw  that seems to have grown up around "esaki", which is actually a brand name of several modeling products and not a single type of tissue.

I'm still surprised it's made such an impact on such a minority of the shrinking aeromodelling world.

I too had hoarded    (although I prefer "prudently set aside" ) premium  balsa and various tissues because they were extremely hard to find, back in 1970's thru to the 90's).  I have all kinds and brands of model covering, including some  Esaki (not tissue!). I suspect there may even be some Esaki tissue in my stash,, as well but I just can't rationalize going all weak in the knees  (it could be the be-all, end-all of tissues, but unless it applies itself, etc...??)...over it.

I understand the very important, almost cosmic question about shiney side  "in or out", because I had the exact same question, back in 1961, when I was eleven, when I first became aware of the difference between so-called "Japanese tissue" and "domestic". However, intervening years have suggested  that it doesn't really matter. After a few coats of dope, it's all shines just about  the same. Personally, I choose shiney side out under the assumption that shinny is easier to seal, but there's no data I know of to bolster that claim. It's a habit, not a science. Despite many mistaken applications, it's not a question even approaching cosmic import.

Perhaps Flying Aces should implement a rule that only "esaki"  may be used on models in their traditional themed competitions? Roll Eyes

mick66
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »

Fair enough  Smiley
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 04:08:37 PM »

As soon as I knew about the Esaki trouble I got what I thought I will need in the remaining life Cheesy
All coloured sheets, no white, like good visibility! Supplier MikeW as usual.
After reading Mick66's remarks I immediately checked my  stock and I cannot find any difference between newer or older sheets  Roll Eyes

Actually I always use shiny side out, just looks better to me. And as in the last three years I covered all models with paper over mylar it has a bit more influence. Because I give only 2-3 coats of much diluted dope, just enough to avoid slackening in early morning air.

But charlieman is right, it's more a habit than a real need.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
mick66
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 01:52:20 AM »

Hi

I bought coloured tissue at same time.  Yes, the coloured tissue is just the same as usual.  It was specifically the white.

I guess we've all got our ways and what works for us.  I've always had more trouble getting tissue to stick shiney side out.  Hopefully it's not going to be an issue but ...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 02:09:02 AM »

I stocked up on white Esaki from SAMs at Old Warden a while back. You’re right- it’s suddenly harder to tell which side is the shiny one. I don’t mind as it just means when I accidentally apply a piece a different way up to the rest it matters less.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 03:45:16 AM »

The alternative for white is Martin Dilly's tissue. It has a more pronounced grain and no wet strength, and cheaper too, but you have to get hold of it at meetings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: