Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 08:20:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rudder Only RC  (Read 294 times)
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 240

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »

Hi Everyone,  I really didn't think I would be back to the Forum, but circumstance have driven me back to the hobby.  First, I had open heart surgery this past June.  Then next, in October, I lost my transportation when a driver failed to stop at a stop light on the highway.  So I am without transportation, and pretty much living a very boring life.  That means I need to resurrect a hobby or two that won't cost too much, and that can be done basically out my back door.

Since I cannot go chasing free flight airplanes any distance, and my flying area is about 10 acres, with tons of bushes covering the landscape, I need to think about how to do rubber powered rudder only flying.  That means I need to find something I can use with my Spectrum 7 transmitter.  I need a receiver, servo and battery, that are light enough for P-30's.  I figured that I should be able to fly 30-35 inch wingspan models in the area I have, as long as I can guide them back towards where I launched from, and hopefully hit a clear area for landing.

Does anyone have a clue as to what kind of equipment I can use?  I found the website that seems to carry some pretty low weight RC gear, but just not certain how reliable it is.  https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-RC-Parts-c-8768.html  I figure that with a P-30, I probably will have to keep the additional weight down below 10 grams, if I want any flights over a minute.

I hope someone has experience with single channel RC setups.

CaleyAnn

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 01:29:35 AM »

Hi CaleyAnn, nice that you are back, I hope you are feeling better. I've been flying RC rubber for about 8 years in a 1.3 acre field here in Manhattan, usually around the 30 something inch range, you can see a lot of oldtimers (and P30's, Wakes, Coupes) flying (with RC rudder) on my website. Here's where I show some equipment choices that I've been using for many years without problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V-bxTQrTdQ , adds 6-8 grams and is full range, and I'm using a Spectrum (5) transmitter. Of course, there are other possibilities as well, but I've used this system on dozens of planes. You mention P30, a really fun category, here's a flight of my RC rubber P30, it can easily do several minutes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG1luctvUEQ . You can fly in really small fields with rudder RC assist, I think you'll like it!

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 05:02:20 AM »

Hi FlyGuy,  Thanks for the info.  It has been a few years since I watched those YouTube videos, never realizing those videos were yours.  I remember being fascinated by those videos, and how good your models flew with the tiny RC gear.

Hopefully the components you mentioned in your video are still available.  Looks like I will be investing in several sets.

Do you have the tail section glued down to the fuselage, or is it removable for transportation?  I do have a very small park here in 29 Palms that I can use, that has bus service to and from near my home.  CaleyAnn

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »

Good to 'see' you back here, Caley  !
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »

Thanks Jim,  I hope I can stay with it.  It still takes me about half a year to build one model.

Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:02:13 PM »

Hi FlyGuy,  Thanks for the info.  It has been a few years since I watched those YouTube videos, never realizing those videos were yours.  I remember being fascinated by those videos, and how good your models flew with the tiny RC gear.

Hopefully the components you mentioned in your video are still available.  Looks like I will be investing in several sets.

Do you have the tail section glued down to the fuselage, or is it removable for transportation?  I do have a very small park here in 29 Palms that I can use, that has bus service to and from near my home.  CaleyAnn

The Lemon receiver and hobbyking servos are both still available and very inexpensive (<$20 for both). For the P30, the tail comes off so you can get a few of them in a fairly small box, good for the bus. For the oldtimers I usually leave them on if they are in the 30" span range, but it does make the box bigger, for the larger ones, I make the stab removable. I take a bus to the armory for indoor flying, the box is 14 x 25 x 6, just fits into the overhead compartment and it's big enough that I can leave the stabs on.

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 08:26:06 PM »

I've been searching high and low for these components, and apparently I still do not know how to Google to find things.  The few things I have located are out of stock, or discontinued.

Is it possible for you to post the links here so I have something to follow.  Sorry, but I am just not good at locating things.  CaleyAnn

Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »

OK, some of the links are at the website, here's the lemon receiver: https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=102

I show a few options in the video for the servo, here's one, the 282a HK servo: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hk-282a-single-screw-ultra-micro-servo-2g-0-2kg-0-08sec.html

The servo has a 1.25 jst plug, I cut that off and replaced it with a 1.5 mm plug, that's what goes into the receiver. You can see the modified plug and connectors in the video, you need some 1.5mm jst plugs for the servo and batter to plug into the receiver, usually you can find them on ebay or amazon.

Here's a battery: https://www.ebay.com/p/2254473125   You just need one battery, this 70 mAh will give you at least 40 minutes 'on' time (in my experience). They used to have a 30 mAh that's nice and light, but I haven't seen them lately. You also need some plugs for the battery, I usually search for a six plug charger (for eflite batteries), then you have 6 plugs. Would be nice to find a battery comparable in weight, 1.4 grams, to the old eflite 30 mAh if anyone knows?

Of course you can shop around for better prices, though the stuff is pretty inexpensive. You also need a lipo battery charger, I have a few, but I usually use the eflite celectra 4 port charger, but the cheaper ones are fine as well, even the USB charger is fine.

I think that's everything you need to get you going, have fun! Larry

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 12:44:11 AM »

Larry,  Believe it or not, I never found the radio, even though I went onto that website.  I still have never figured out how I can't locate something on my own.  I think it is lack of computer lingua.  I even used the same name you used, and still didn't find it.  I did find the servo, but the connectors for that and batteries were confusing.  There are at least three different of those little connectors, and I couldn't figure out which ones, even with your list, as I kept coming up with the different types.  I think that's one reason I didn't pursue things a few years ago.  I just couldn't figure out those little plugs.  CaleyAnn

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 03:20:04 AM »

Hi Caley, nice to see you back Smiley

I use banggood and find them very reliable as a seller. I use these little receivers with a Spectrum dx6i: https://m.banggood.com/CM421-2_4G-4CH-Full-Range-DSM2-Compatible-Receiver-For-Radio-Transmitter-p-1015760.html
In small radio models. They are about 2.7g but if you desolder and the pins and remove the heat shrink 1.1g is achievable. Placed correctly in the model they are very good on range (like 400 meters altitude!)

Just make sure your radio can handle the older DSM2 protocol (DSMX is now the standard but most transmitters will still have DSM2.)

Banggood do some even smaller receivers but I'm not sure if the range will be as good - they are aimed at indoors. They also do some small Lipos - you don't need much capacity for a small rudder only model, 100mAh would be plenty.

Jonathan
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 04:33:30 AM »

Good to see you back on the forum Caley  Smiley

I'll be following your progress ... it's something I would like to try too.
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 10:31:30 AM »

Caley!  So good to see that you are back with us.  Sorry about your health issues but we are all getting to the age where it becomes a factor.  I have thought about 1 channel rc rubber and even started one a few years ago.  It has even been relegated to a shelf.  Hope your life will continue to get better.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: