Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 07:29:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why do some folks prefer white glue over yellow?  (Read 292 times)
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2019, 11:30:30 PM »

I got some white today, but they were out of wood workers glue.
it's cheaper but still over night dry time. Why do some prefer it?
thanks Pat
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 09:54:31 AM »

Grin what's the rush? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
jim Grin
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 12:02:51 PM »

I use both, usually whichever is closest reach.  The white is supposedly NOT waterproof but you'd have to submerge your glue joint in water for some considerable amount of time for the joint to soften.  You don't have to worry about rain disassembling your model.

Mark
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:13:53 PM »

I have some glue that is white in colour that is waterproof that I use for non modelling jobs, but honestly I don't think a waterproof glue is necessary - but being so may have some bearing on the drying time.  You see I tend to favour presently Titebond translucent wood glue which is white and has quite a quick "grab" time with balsa particularly and so holding a joint in your fingers if need be for no more than a couple of minutes or so can be sufficient - they say on the bottle 24 hours for a full setting which I suppose is no real problem.

I also like to thin my glue occasionally with water and Titlebond is OK. I am not sure if the waterproof glues will accept being thinned with water?

Balsa tends to absorb water well  so submerging the joint may well mess it up regardless of the performance of the glue. 

AND I don't like the look of yellow glue anyway.  Bleah!   
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 01:39:42 PM »

Hi

In my experience yellow 'aliphatic' type wood glues tend to dry harder and sand better than white.

Cheers

Mike
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »

I agree about aliphatic glues such as Tite Bond. Years ago I built a F1H towline glider wing using white glue. I stored in a box in the shed I was using as a workshop. It rained, the roof leaked, and I found the pieces from the completely disassembled wing floating in the water.

I've used Tite Bond ever since. Both Lowes and Home Depot carry it. The pint bottles are only slightly more expensive than the small size.

Louis
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 06:34:04 PM »

As already mentioned it takes a lot of water to dissolve or weaken a white glue joint, but this actually can be used to advantage. Even with  the more expensive cross linked white glues - painting the joint with liberal quantities of water enables the joint to be broken where a correction needs to be made. I'm not sure if you can do this with Aliphatic - or yellow PVA.

John
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 02:10:39 AM »

White glue is fine. Haven't done any test pieces to see which sands easier. I understand that some kinds of white glue are more vulnerable to water than others. I think so-called "school glue" is even supposed to be washable. There's another kind that can stand up to multiple trips through a washing,machine! I seem to recall that crafty stores have a bewildering variety of white glue. I don't know which are actually different.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 04:23:20 AM »

The type I'm using now is an exterior grade and claims to be a "cross linked PVA", thicker than some of the craft glues sold here which seem to be watery to me.
As for drying time - if it is a tight joint and it is rubbed or clamped - it will take and hold fairly quickly.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: