Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 13, 2020, 11:36:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tomboy...again!!  (Read 630 times)
whiskers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:02:51 AM »

Ah well...as the topic I started on the Vic Smeed Tomboy got 'deleted' by the great website crash I'll start again!

Thanks to those who replied anyway. So, to re-cap I'm going to start building one of these soon for R/C assist style flying complete with short engine runs and fine weather only etc. etc. Have the plan ready to go. I asked for sensible mods I could make and was given advice to essentially keep it as per plan. Good advice on the lower longerons too, I think.

Just wondering now about control the surfaces and tail-feathers in general. Do I need to fix the tailplane/fin to the fuselage permanently...i.e. glue it on or should 'band' it on as per plan.

Also what size should I make the elevator? (the rudder seems to be more obvious to me).

Many thanks in advance.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »

Don't one of the vintage/SAMS organisations run RC Tomboy events? There must be info there.
When I built a Tomboy I found it difficult to cover the wing neatly where the upper surface meets the centre section, given the big dihedral angle. If I were ever doing one again, I would add a 1/8 rib (just the top profile) against the CS to cover to. But given that squillions have been made successfully, perhaps the problem was me (I was 13).
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »

Hi Whiskers

I think,from memory most of the current Tomboy 3 flyers have the tail permanently fixed to the fuselage with just the wings banded on

I have built the Coquette biplane by Vic Smeed for RC assist and used the original detachable tail and fin. I also used a servo mounted vertically so it produces a rotating motion and used an old fashioned style escapement wire loop for the rudder only control. Works well and allows the coquette to pack down small for storage and easy transportation.

My Tomboy is FF but I my long time flying mate has a Tomboy for 2 channel with the tail banded on

This may help with elevator size , you don't need much. This is a standard Tomboy 3 comp design

Pic 3 & 4 the rudder instalation on my Vic Smeed Coquette
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Tomboy...again!!
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 08:24:04 AM »

There's a great article here in the March 2017 edition of New Clarion, the web mag for SAM 1066.

Written by Stewart Mason it has all the information you are after

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiCs_jCnbXmAhVKXMAKHdFEAkkQFjAFegQIAxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sam1066.org%2Fnc0317.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0ArcOl7U1cArS0OElC9wnE
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 07:03:12 AM »

I used to read the New Clarion every month.
I can't pinpoint the time at which this stopped .... probably after losing Middle Wallop?
Thanks for steering me back to the New Clarion! (Unwittingly)
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 07:15:28 AM »

Brilliant. Great information and much appreciated.

The 'article' mentions closed loop control for the rudder. What are the pros and cons of this system? I was just going to use snakes for the rudder and elevator.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 07:40:29 AM »

The 'article' mentions closed loop control for the rudder. What are the pros and cons of this system? I was just going to use snakes for the rudder and elevator.

Lighter.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 07:42:34 AM »

Lighter.

… and tighter

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »

Thanks for steering me back to the New Clarion! (Unwittingly)

For those who may not know SAM 1066 is free to join, offers an online PDF mag every month and holds events at Salisbury Plain, Odiham and Beaulieu for duration type FF Models.
The club also has a extensive range of vintage plans in the David Baker Vintage Plans library
There is some indoor presence too

http://www.sam1066.org

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 09:42:34 AM »

Tinged with sadness .... sorry to read in the latest issue of the passing of Pauline Hook ... illness had taken her away from Flitehook for a long while now.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 11:57:26 AM »

Pauline had been in a nursing home for four or five years and John has kept the business going throughout that period, hence the delays in answering emails etc. I went to Pauline's funeral down in Romsey which had a fair few FF modellers attending, it was nicely done.

Peter
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 01:48:53 PM »

PeeTee,
I'm glad that she had a good send-off  Smiley
I've missed her tenacious manner ... a real character.
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 01:40:24 AM »

Thanks for all the info...the 'article' was a great help too! I'll look at closed loop controls and build it very close to plan. The MP Jet 040 is ready for flying now so build will start very soon (short kit, battery pack and servos have been acquired, just need the wood and the various bits 'n' bobs).
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »

Well, the Tomboy is done. I followed the advice given (thanks all) and I am very pleased with how it has turned out.

The MP Jet 040 stands out nicely as the plane is covered in dark blue tissue. Very classic. Apart from the 2 channel radio it's more or less to plan. I opted for the removable undercart and I did substitute spruce wing-spars as I had it in stock.

Took about 3/4 oz weight in the nose to get C of G right. All up and ready to fly she tips my kitchen scales at 12 1/2 ounces. I'm pretty happy with that.

Just awaiting som calm, pleasant conditions to trim it out.

Just a thing, I have an 8x4 prop fitted - is this about right for this engine/plane combo or should first efforts be with a 7x4?
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 02:18:55 PM »

Sounds great Whiskers ... any pictures  Grin

I would have thought it will go very nicely on an 8x4 and produce that lovely burble at lower revs that optimises vintage sport free flight models . If it lacks the power you could try a 7x4 to up the revs a bit but I doubt from your description that you'll need to

Hopefully we will get some nice flying weather soon
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 05:04:23 PM »

Thanks Squirrel.

Yes, that was my thinking on prop size. Sounds like I was on the right track...

Sorry, Mrs Whiskers is away at the moment. Only she holds the magic ability to post pictures on-line. On her return I shall get the Tomboy to pose for her then attempt to post the relevant. Bit of a luddite I'm afraid!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: