Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 29, 2020, 11:45:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Ideal" Taube 1915 Plan  (Read 355 times)
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2019, 05:49:40 AM »

Hi All,

Hope you all had a good christmas.

I've always been a little intrigued by really old model plans.

There is a plan on outerzone https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1666 (and in other places) for the Ideal Taube Monoplane published in 1915.
   The nice thing about this plan is that it also contains a detailed instruction sheet. My plan is to build this as close to the original as possible.

The plan says 'wood' but not what species, I'm pretty sure it was not balsa, I had some pine in the shed that I have ripped down to the correct sizes and will be using that.
   Aside from that I've managed to locate most of the materials I need, except for the covering which is specified as 'bamboo paper' 
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 144

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 06:43:03 AM »

Hope you had a good Christmas too (although here in the Northern hemisphere it’s still Christmas morning of course!)
I’ll be very interested to see how you go with the Taube. No better time to start a Dove than Christmas Day! There are a few of these 100 year old Ideal kit plans and I’ve often been tempted.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »

Quote from: korale
The plan says 'wood' but not what species....
Some contemporary plans I've seen specify split bamboo but whether or not that would work for this I have no idea.
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »

The attached file taken from the 1925 Ideal catalog suggest that the wood ( at least to me )
would mean bamboo. As mentioned on the second page it talks about the no need to "steam"
normally associated with bamboo and reed for bending. However I do recall some of the older
models did use some split pine.

Skyraider
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: "Ideal" Taube 1915 Plan
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »

Merry Christmas to you too.

Great project, I'll be following this one with great interest.

I also have a fascination with the early model aircraft design. I have model book dating to the time when Balsa was first used around the 1920's I think .' Model Aeroplanes and Airships' by F.J.Camm. It's some years later than your plan but the use of woods may go back to the beginnings of model flight. In the materials section it states:-

The woods chiefly used are silver spruce for spars, wings, ribs; birch for certain parts which have to carry a fair amount of strain ; cane for mainplanes, curved shapes, rudders, and tails; American Whitewood ( Basswood ) for lightly loaded parts ; Mahogany and satinwood for carving propellers ; three ply for fuselage members and wings. The lightest known wood is Balsa, which weighs only 7 1/2 lb. per cubic foot, about half the weight of cork. Unfortunately, it has no strength and can only be used for unimportant parts.

The last model I built in my teens before a modelling lay off was the 'Fuselage Monoplane' described in this book . It flew...but not for very long and Mahogany while looking great once carved, is hard to work and breaks easily, mine snapped after the second flight !

Pic  F.J.Camm's Fuselage Monoplane  1981/2 ?
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »

Bamboo is unlikely to be the main wood in this case, there is some bamboo used (in the tail skid) and it is referred to as bamboo, the other wood is just 'wood' . If the other wood was bamboo I would have expected a lot more lashing and a less pinning and gluing for joints.

Skyraider , would you have the rest of that catalog ?
skyraider
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 05:15:10 PM »

Upon further reading in the catalog, the woods are: Bass, Spruce, Bamboo, and reed.

Korale,
     Yes, I do have the catalog. send me an email at [email protected] and I'll
forward you a pdf file copy if your interested.

Skyraider
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 06:12:40 PM »

Sent you an Email.

I also did a trial run on the ribs, I boiled them for an hour and let them sit in the form for about 12 hours, there was a little spring back but not much.

The clamps I used have compressed the wood where they were held, cant really see it in the picture.

I'll be making some more ribs soon (once the Christmas rush is over)   
skyraider
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 08:13:12 PM »

File sent via email.

Skyraider
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 07:49:40 AM »

Received the File.

On reading the catalog, it seems that the wheels on the Taube were burnished aluminum disks. I thought of building them out of ply as I originally thought they were wooden disks. I don't have a lot of experience in metal work.

I have formed the ribs and the curved front pieces for the fuselage.

Ive reproduced a full size plan form of he wing and will be forming the reed outlines soon.

when making the various forms I noticed that the plans are not correctly scaled when printed out, some parts are ok but others are too small. I redrew all formers using the dimensions on the plan. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: