Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 02, 2020, 03:06:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Baron Knight II Coupe by Dave White  (Read 3012 times)
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 242

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2020, 08:30:25 PM »

First of all, I finally have new transportation.  So I can now drive to a place where I can test glide or just fly.  Hoorah!!!!

Bill, since I glassed the forward fuselage, I figured I could remove the pylon, and start over as you suggested.  The pylon came off fairly easily, and the remains sanded off easily due to the glass protecting the balsa.

Means I can rid myself of that glob of lead nose weight.  I still figure there will be a need for a very tiny bit of ballast, as I probably will not get things CG'd perfectly, but I guess close is enough, when considering what I did the first time.

The second Baron Knight Coupe is basically done.  Both props are now two bladed.  One I glassed, but I didn't like the weight gain, so the second one built for Coupe #1 is just tissue covered, and a bit lighter.

My building progress has been really slow due to my getting my financial life in order, and doing that qualified me for my partial vehicle loan.  Life is looking up, finally, after about five years in the doldrums.  

I hope to get down to Perris to see if they will let me fly at their field.  I am no longer a member of the AMA, so not sure they will let me.  If I can, flight reports will follow.

Thanks Everyone for the welcome back, putting up with me, and giving me so much help and encouragement.

What's stall speed?  Undecided
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 183

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2020, 08:37:13 PM »

Good news Caley - looking forward hopefully to some flight reports.

John
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »

Good to hear of life improvement, Caley; not least renewed mobility

Jim
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2020, 08:20:44 PM »

With all the stuff about the fly going around, our little town that was already pretty boring, has gotten to the point of where it looks like a ghost town.  Few people are out and about, and what businesses that are open are restricting how business is done.  So I pretty much have had to stay within the four walls/property.

But I continue working on my two BKII models, but keep changing things.  The one in the picture is my second one.  It is a two blade prop setup, and was glassed as an experiment.  It seems to work fairly well on the bench static test.  No rumbles.

I also gave up trying to make the pylon the same way as on the plan.  The one I did on BKII model #1 was dumb luck, and I cannot duplicate it, even with the templates I saved.  So I looked at the P-30 kit (Boomer MkII) pylon, and made a modified version of that.  It is narrower at the front, and widens to the rear so that the wing gets some stability.  I used very light balsa blocks fore and aft, and 1/16 sheet siding.  I also used a 1/4 inch brace across the center to prevent  outward flex.  This one is experimental, as it is my first try at designing a pylon from scratch, so the fit isn't exactly perfect against the fuselage.  Anyone have an idea on how to make sure the pylon doesn't separate from the fuselage in flight, and during the forces of the D/T action?  Right now I am just using Duco cement glue.  Sorry about the picture not showing the pylon in detail.  Will try to post a shot of that. 

I still have to do the pylon on my BKII model #1.  I stripped that off because I had not balanced the model first.  Hopefully I won't have to add a whole lot of ballast, and if so, hopefully in the tail area below the stab

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Baron Knight II Coupe by Dave White

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2020, 08:59:15 PM »

Here's the second rendition of my own design for  the BKII pylon.  This one came out better, with plenty of area for gluing on the fuselage.

One area I need to concentrate on is getting my fuselages 90 degrees square all the way around.  Seems I am off a little on each fuselage, which makes sanding the V notch for these pylons nearly impossible.

But that is why I am experimenting with creating my own things.  Makes me see things better, so I make them better.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Baron Knight II Coupe by Dave White

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: