Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 13, 2020, 10:01:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OK TO USE ENAMEL PAINT OVER DOPED TISSUE ?  (Read 305 times)
dhable
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:52:58 AM »

I would like to spray some enamel color over a doped tissue finish.

Before I ruin a perfectly good doped finish Smiley, does anyone know whether the enamel will adversely interact with the dope?

Thanks!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 63

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »

No, it'll be fine. The only time it can go wrong is if you are using cellulose thinners to thin the enamel. I do it all the time as it speeds things up but if you overdo the subsequent coats, esp. in cold weather, the low evaporation rate can react with the dry enamel below. Just don't rush it.
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »

I spray water based enamels on nitrate dope with no problems. I finish with a light top coat of Krylon clear afterwards. In my experience thick coats of enamel tend to pool up on doped tissue so you want to go slowly, with thin coats. Good luck.

Ates
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »

I've had good luck with multiple, very thin coats of acrylic applied with an airbrush. Any single coat is just barely there. I admit I only tried it once, but the results were excellent. Only use enough to look more or less opaque from several feet away. At least if it's a rubber powered plane and you care about weight.

I've also heard of various concoctions prepared from Floquil and eye of newt, but it's been a while and I don't remember much. I guess Floquil has fine pigments.
marcin_pl
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Poland Poland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 08:01:50 AM »

If it is nitrate dope then it's perfectly safe to put enamel on it. Generally nitrate paint/dope is a good and safe base for almost any kind of paint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: