Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 02, 2020, 04:06:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scientific 1/2A Aeronca Sedan  (Read 186 times)
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 77

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2020, 03:23:25 PM »

Growing up in the '60s, this book by Walter Musciano was a constant source of inspiration and dreams.  My brother and I never had the money for an engine back then but the book, in our school's library, was often in our hands.  I learned the rudiments of drafting by enlarging the plan for the Northrop Gamma in Chapter 5.  This little Aeronca Sedan was the subject of Chapter 2.  This one is scratch built, the old Scientific kits being prohibitively expensive if you can find them.  My brother built it, I painted it.  It will soon get an OK Cub engine.  It's purely authentic 1950s-60s build.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Scientific 1/2A Aeronca Sedan

Mark
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 04:31:51 PM »

Mark,
   Outstanding workmanship!  I too, have Walt,s book in my library. Very nice vintage
stuff in there. I had the honor of exchanging snail mail with him some years back when
I asked for permission to reproduce some of his designs. What a man he was. I learned
from some close friends of his that he passed away on April 3, 2019.

Skyraider
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 06:52:58 PM »

I have that book on my shelf.

If you haven't, read his bio -- he was orphaned in the 1930's, and ran away from his aunt's family when they wouldn't let him build models.  He owned a suitcase with a few cloths and a complete model shop, which let him build model airplanes as a homeless child.

Which, you have to admit, is true dedication to the sport.
charlieman
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 02:10:31 PM »

Mark,
What lovely model and some great memories of books and airplanes!
I too checked -out Walts book as a kid. I couldn't afford many kits, in late 50's, but could build Scientific designs from Walt's original plans. I learned to fly CL with  his "Saber". I also dreamed over his near monthly WWII fighter designs, in American Modeler. P-51B and Kawasake Tony, being my favorites.

I got to know an Aeronca Sedan quite well as a youngster, too. Had to push one out of the way (and put it back, EVERYTIME) to get my Pop's Stitts Playboy, from the back of a shared hanger, at Ried's Hilview Airport, San Jose Calif. Owner was OLD friend of t e family, Harold Boshardt, so ,kh yeah, I also got  ,several rides in it 1958-1966, or so, but it was the moving I remember most. IIRC, the aircraft is now on display at the air museum at South county Airport, near Morgan Hill, Cailf. Years later I witnessed, from only about 8 ft away, a near tragic prop starting incident, when an over confidant starter touched an apparently "hot" propeller and engine. The blade barely moved under weight of one hand, as he leaned around the left blade to speak to the pilot. The prop was instantly spinning!!  at better than half throttle! the startled crewman just stood there, absolutely  dumbfounded. I really thought he was going to waver and tumble forward. His blank face was only INCHES  away from the spinning blades. Finally, he snapped out of it and shakily backed away. Fortunately, the pilot apparently had applied brakes and aircraft hadn't hadn't lurched forward. It happened so fast and I still shudder to think about it.

I've been retired, now, for about 10yrs. And it just occurred to me that the very last ride got was about 10 years ago in a Sedan! It was the only time I ever got fly one. PIC was Ty Sunstrom , from the Spirit project).
Good on you.
charlie
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »

I have that book on my shelf.

If you haven't, read his bio -- he was orphaned in the 1930's, and ran away from his aunt's family when they wouldn't let him build models.  He owned a suitcase with a few cloths and a complete model shop, which let him build model airplanes as a homeless child.

Which, you have to admit, is true dedication to the sport.

My goodness.  What a background.  Here's a link for more reading:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/files/MuscianoWalterAWalt.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: