Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 01:18:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Winding tube, what to use?  (Read 679 times)
Jetsrforkids
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2020, 05:35:16 PM »

I’m finishing a Diel Piper Clipper, it’s been a while since I’ve flown FF. I’ve been looking for something to use as a winding tube, I haven’t found the right size. What are people using for winding tubes for 24” full fuselage models?
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 07:28:01 PM »

Well-for a start you're spoilt for choice-you can use just about anything you like that is tubular and will fit through the noseblock plug hole-plastic, metal, composite. Personally I generally use PVC plumbing pipe on bigger models-which you can often scrounge an offcut from the scrap bin on a building site....or in extremis purchase a length from your local hardware store (here in NZ, the big chain hardware stores like Mitre-10 and Bunnings usually have 6 foot lengths for the DIY home improvement enthusiasts-but equally useful-post Halloween (another US custom we have unfortunately imported!)....you can find kids plastic battle axes and devil's tridents for a dollar or so marked down cheaply after Halloween has passed. This stuff is about 1/2-5/8" ID-though sometimes you can find it smaller ID. The domestic PVC water pipe-white or grey-tends to be a bit bigger in diameter

You can also use K&S tubing-which you can get in 3 foot lengths as well as the more common 1 foot-and as the sizes telescope, it is easy enough to make up a custom length of tube-either from aluminium or brass (though not especially cheap)
You can of course use commercial ally tubing with a much thicker wall-which I've seen people do-but only on the larger sizes of model.

Finally-if you want get your hands wet...literally.....you can make up a tube from kevlar cloth-which the Brits in particular seem to do-with or without optional alloy flanges at each end. Being extremely tough-but flexible-this can help a bit with long fuselage models with a cluttered interior....but requires a bit of work.  As you might expect from the material involved-such tubes are 'bulletproof' when it comes to absorbing the energy of blown motors...

On Peanuts and small models I just use some 1/4" ID styrene tube-the white stuff you find in model shops and art shops in all kinds of shapes for building structural architectural models.

I literally have an entire box of winding tubes-all more or less individual to a particular model-though some-purely by chance-are suitable for more than one. I have so many-well over a dozen long ones-that I label then with the name of the model....otherwise life can get quite interesting when you find you've used the wrong tube, wound the model up....and find that the winding tube is too long when withdrawn to clear the end of the winding rod....and you can't disconnect the winder!

ChrisM
   'ffkiwi'
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 07:44:50 PM »

PVC is the easiest to come by and cheap. I wrap the tube tightly with duct tape so that if the burst shatters the PVC the duct tape keeps it together.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Jetsrforkids
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:22:23 PM »

Good ideas, looks like I need to open my ideas of what a wing tube is, probable have 20 sitting around the house in disguise.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 01:10:10 AM »

All mine in various sizes are from PVC pipe.
The loading stick needs some thought though.
 Example on the big rubber models with 4 oz of rubber X 32 strands of 1/8th stretched and wound to 1000 plus it's metal with heavy piano wire through holes to hold things together, but I don't wind with it on only to get the tube in and out VERY carefully.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 04:40:57 AM »

For P-30 and smaller, I use PVC aquarium tubing. Lots of sizes and easy to find, Amazon or your local aquarium shop. Here's the product info: https://www.leesaqpet.com/index.php/shop/aquatic/tubing/thinwall-rigid-tubing. Some wrap with fiberglass packing tape. For larger models, or ones that I wind very hard, I use polycarbonate (Lexan) tubing. More expensive, but very tough.

NormF
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 05:12:25 PM »

They don't look so great, but when I've needed a particular size of winding tube, I've sometimes rolled up a tube with brown paper and Elmers or carpenters glue. Works fine.
whiskers
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 05:03:19 PM »

Brown paper and pva wood glue here too! I give 'em a good doping after I cut them to size.
riversidedan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 02:04:52 AM »

if you mean "blast tube, I use 500 size heli aluminum tail boom  1in. dia  fits most nose blocks

CAUTION!! politicians may be harmful to your health
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 07:05:30 PM »

If you could figure out how to straighten it, PEX pipe is sturdy, inexpensive, and has a thin wall. Maybe use heat or attach something to hold it straight, though gluing to it is probably a challenge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: