Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 23, 2020, 09:53:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC Cessna 140  (Read 367 times)
3view
Silver Member

Kudos: 14

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »

To stop me going stir crazy over the christmas/ new year break, I built the VMC Cessna 140.

This is the first kit I've made for about 25 years and it was a real pleasure. The design, the wood selection and the accuracy of the laser cutting was exceptional. The only thing I did not like is the paper decals.

I made the model in the warmth of the living room and to keep the memsahib happy I tried Ezedope.  I got almost acceptable results with Ezedope and the kit tissue, initial results were appalling as I applied the Ezedope too thickly and it blushed. Would have made a far better job with esaki and dope but I guess that water-based products are the future?

Weight without rubber and ballast is 23g,and the cg looks good. So I'm pleased Grin

Steve

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
VMC Cessna 140
VMC Cessna 140
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »

Would have made a far better job with esaki and dope but I guess that water-based products are the future?
Not for me. If it doesn't smell bad or have the potential to blow up the house it's no good.
Yes it's a super kit and flies a treat. Even the canopy shape fits
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 12:59:36 PM »

Very nice indeed!
(As I've mentioned before, one thing in Ezedope's favour is that it doesn't make the tissue so transparent as real dope does.)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 03:30:11 PM »

Quote from: 3view
Would have made a far better job with esaki and dope but I guess that water-based products are the future?

If you don't have a dedicated workspace then EzeDope or any other organic solvent free "dope" is a real find.  It is a pain with low (i.e. no) wet strength domestic tissue if you want to do anything other than finish in a single overall colour with small(ish) "decals" or details but if it's a choice between that and not being able to build at all...

As for making a better job with Esaki and dope?  It looks like you've got a very nice finish to me.
3view
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 04:53:14 PM »

If you don't have a dedicated workspace then EzeDope or any other organic solvent free "dope" is a real find.  It is a pain with low (i.e. no) wet strength domestic tissue if you want to do anything other than finish in a single overall colour with small(ish) "decals" or details but if it's a choice between that and not being able to build at all...

Indeed, it is quite a find and I'm glad that I persevered with the Ezedope after an initial disappointment. It does mean that I can build all year round.

Another thing was that the laser cut kit produced very little in the way of shavings and sawdust...………… hardly a murmur from Mrs 3-view.

Steve
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:02:15 AM »

I agree with other comments. Nice taught covering job and it looks great in red.

Happy flying

John
3view
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »

There was flat calm last night just before darkness fell, so I tried the Cessna outside on a few hand turns.  It flew nicely, arrow straight, right off the building board.

When glueing the noseblock I managed to introduce a healthy amount of right sidethrust and downthrust. The CG and thrustlines looked OK for starters so the first thing to try for the next sortie is going to be a bit of left rudder.  Probably make up a longer motor than the kit supplied item.

Steve

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »

Glad to hear it flew off the board, it's a lovely looking model
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia