Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 23, 2020, 09:57:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peanut Scale BooRay (Modified Cassutt)  (Read 414 times)
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2020, 10:15:33 PM »

It has been since 1982 that I built a peanut scale model.  I was talking with my Dad at Christmas and reminiscing about our indoor scale flying experience.  I have wanted to go and fly with the Cloudbusters up in Pontiac, so I decided to design and build a Peanut scale.  The last model my dad built before we quit flying was a peanut BooRay.  It burned into my mind and I decided to pick it as my subject.

I had a set of 3-Views and away we went.  I was pleased with the result.  I then 3D printed templates for the fuselage formers to help cut things out. 

With the help of a Jones balsa stripper and some sorting of balsa, away we went.

More to come.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY   
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Peanut Scale BooRay (Modified Cassutt)
Peanut Scale BooRay (Modified Cassutt)
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 10:24:37 PM »

So I started with the tail components.  I decided to build the frame work out of 1/16 x 1/8", 1/32" x 1/8, and 1/16" sq balsa.  This allows for the surfaces to be sanded to a symmetrical airfoil shape. 

I am using CA to build the model.  I used to use CA when I last built.  Works fine when used sparingly.

I then built the wing.  I used 1/8" square Balsa Leading Edge, 3/32" x 3/16" balsa trailing edge, 1/32" x 1/16" strip ribs, and 1/32" thick vertical spars.  Root ribs are 1/16" square strip ribs.  The spars are located @ 33% & 66%.  Rib spacing is close to 1" and then half ribs provide a better support for covering and torsional strength.

More to come.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Re: Peanut Scale BooRay (Modified Cassutt)
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 10:29:01 PM »

I jigged up the wing on the bench and carved the LE and TE and then sanded them down to the shape.  I was stressing out about this as 30 years of building rc and controline models had desensitized my feel for light models.  Took a while, but a sharp razor plane and patience paid off.  Added wingtips and then hollowed them out to save weight.  Wing finished out at 1.85 grams.  3.9" chord x 12.9" span. 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 10:32:26 PM »

The fuselage, oh the sweat started.  I 3D printed templates to help with the cutting parts out.  All seemed to work nicely.  The fuse sides were framed up and away we went.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »

Fuse came together nicely.  Deck formers need to be refined, but for this build, they will work.  I added the front sheeting for the lower cowl out of some light 1/32" balsa.  The lower formers were built from 1/32" x 3/32".  The top deck formers were cut from 1/32" sheet.  Lower longerons are 1/16" square.  Top stringers are also 1/16" square.  Rest of the stringers are 1/32" x 1/16".  I also added diagonals to help with twisting.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY   
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 10:40:58 PM »

Canopy was framed up with a former on top, then wrapped with 1/32" balsa sanded down to 0.020"  This was a 1st for me and worked very nicely.  I then capped the top with a piece of soft 3/8" balsa and sanded to shape. 

Starting to come together.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 10:47:18 PM »

The current status of the model as it sits tonight.  Nothing like an assembly picture to add to the motivation. 

I have 3 days in design, and 4 days into the build to this point.  Model in its current state weighs 5 grams.  I am pleased so far.

Design has 1.5 degrees of wing incidence.  Tail is built to be capable of adjustment from 0 to -1.5 degrees.  I have built in 2 degrees of down thrust and 2 degrees of right.  I have planned to use a formed sheet 6 x 7.2 prop.  I have 3D printed the prop form press and will show when prop is complete. 

I am now working on cheek cowls, nose-block, and wheel pants.  Then its tissue time.  This has been an enjoyable build so far.  I am looking forward to finishing and flying it. 

Thanks,

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY 
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 02:02:21 AM »

Looks like it will be a nice model Archie.

I have a copy of “The Air Racer” by Charles A. Mendenhall. Boo Ray is on page 123. The colour notes say the airplane was/is red and white and in 1967 the race numbers were red. Were they also red in 1973?

Paul
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 02:31:31 AM »

Nice design and build Archie. That's an interesting way to produce the formers. Another indication of what can be done with 3d printing.

John
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »

Looks like it will be a nice model Archie.

I have a copy of “The Air Racer” by Charles A. Mendenhall. Boo Ray is on page 123. The colour notes say the airplane was/is red and white and in 1967 the race numbers were red. Were they also red in 1973?

Paul

Paul,

To the best of my knowledge, it was still red and white in 1973.  My dad has some racing books I am going to reference.  My model will be red and white.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »

Nice design and build Archie. That's an interesting way to produce the formers. Another indication of what can be done with 3d printing.

John

John,

It worked well for the 60s coupes I'm building so I thought it would here as well.  I also printed some Phantom flash templates to aid in cutting out parts.  Maybe I need a laser.  Lol

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
The Wuffler
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »

Laser? ..... I love mine.....Cheap K40 Chinese job.....turn the knob a little bit on and it cuts balsa a treat.....Also really handy for cutting tissue numbers/letters. I use a light spray of non permanent spray mount, stick some tissue on thin foam, back the power off until the thing is hardly working....remove letters carefully and apply with thinned varnish.....Loads more accurate than trying to cut tissue with a scalpel. Only downside is design time but if you can work that quickly with creating 3d STLs, probably not a problem.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 06:33:06 PM »

The accuracy of CNC laser cutting is attractive as is the design challenge on cad. However nothing generates as much satisfaction for me as accurate hand work. I guess the perfect solution is a combination of both. Thanks Archie and Wuffler.

John
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 08:20:25 PM »

That is a very nice set of plans.  You have managed to get some soul into the drawing.  Any hope of you putting the plans on here??

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 10:59:58 PM »

That is a very nice set of plans.  You have managed to get some soul into the drawing.  Any hope of you putting the plans on here??

Thanks for the kind words.  When I get it done and flying, I will update the plans with the updates and put into the plan gallery.  I have some updates on formers and want to add the prop and other details.  It does build pretty easy.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 12:27:56 PM »

Great looking BooRay!!!  I had to laugh when you I saw your weight.  My tail fins alone weight more  Sad

Why did you choose to laser cut templates vs actually cutting the balsa?

Brad
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 05:53:05 AM »

Great looking BooRay!!!  I had to laugh when you I saw your weight.  My tail fins alone weight more  Sad

Why did you choose to laser cut templates vs actually cutting the balsa?

Brad

Thanks for the compliments.

I 3D printed templates mostly because I could.  Cutting out the wood using the plans would have worked just fine too.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: