Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2020, 01:58:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mini Goodyear  (Read 1153 times)
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2020, 07:03:31 AM »

My Mini Ol Blue is about ready for assembly. Needs a tank to complete, usually no problem but Ive decided that it should have a fast fill valve. Not that it'll ever race but there are correct ways to do things.

Time will tell if I can make a valve.....
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mini Goodyear

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 07:06:47 PM »

It looks neat Greggles. They must be little beasties! Do you make or buy your fast fill valves? What ever happened eventually to your Roadrunner?

John
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »

Thanks John, it's been a fun little build, for a basket case car engine that seems to go pretty well.

I intend to make the fast fill, using one of Robin Hiern's as a guide. I mangled one on the lathe yesterday, so try try again.

The Roadrunner is alive and well if resting in the shed. I took it out for a fly before Christmas, sadly the flaps had lost their alignment and outside maneuvers were simply scary.  So a bit more resting and it'll be time to get off the wall.

greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 05:40:04 AM »

After a bit of rest and other activities the Ol Blue managed to assemble itself.

Fuel fast fill completed, but not tested. Tank still to be made.
Re: Mini Goodyear

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 06:03:47 AM »

Are the mini Goodyears  req'd to ROG.? Looks pretty nifty.

John
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 06:42:51 AM »

ROG is mandatory in Oz John.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 08:14:09 PM »

Thanks Greg. Good luck with it.

John
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 06:49:50 AM »

OlBlue is ready to go whenever we get outside again.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 07:54:58 PM »

Neat and purposeful Greg. What motor is that?

John
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 01:35:23 AM »

Engine is OS Max 12CV, looks a bit big for this model.

May have to downsize later, but there is plenty of time to consider that.

Trouble is a shortage of hot 1.5s

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 09:00:15 PM »

Thanks Greg. Take care.

John
Bingo Fuel
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »

Very nice build of Ole Blue. I remember seeing the real one at some races in Cleveland, Ohio back in the 80’s I think. Took a ton of photos of it. I flew both mini Goodyear and was a crew man on the bigger Goodyear’s back in the 70’s when it was big in the states. Back then we had to have two wheels on both versions and mini Goodyear had to be powered by a .049. Goodyear had to be a .15 cu inch. I don’t think anyone in the states flies either class anymore. I see Europe and just about everywhere else flies with one wheel now. My question is when did this change or was everyone else outside the states always on one? It sure was fun back then. Trouble was the wealthy folks were all sending their engines away to someplace and having new pistons made and getting them totally reworked to get more speed and fancy fuel mixes and it all got away from the average flier so it killed it. Nice to see folks are still doing it someplace.
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 06:58:01 AM »

Thanks Bingo,

It was a nice build, not too taxing and the lockdown has meant that the paint certainly has had time to properly cure.

As far as I know Oz Goodyear was always mono wheel and have been super fast. Big Nitro, big speeds. More recently we have introduced 27 Goodyear in an attempt to encourage non TR fliers to have a go at reasonable rotational speeds. Open GY is flown less often these days but it's still fast.

The Mini Goodyear represents the differences in 1/2A worldwide. In the US 1/2A is .049 while the rest of the world it's .09 Because of a supposed unavailability of high performance .09s the capacity was increased to .12. My Ol Blue looks out of balance with the .12 up front. I'll give it a run soon and see if it's worth going on with it.

Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 07:01:32 AM »

...I flew both mini Goodyear and was a crew man on the bigger Goodyear’s back in the 70’s when it was big in the states. Back then we had to have two wheels on both versions and mini Goodyear had to be powered by a .049. Goodyear had to be a .15 cu inch...I see Europe and just about everywhere else flies with one wheel now. My question is when did this change or was everyone else outside the states always on one?...Trouble was the wealthy folks were all sending their engines away to someplace and having new pistons made and getting them totally reworked to get more speed and fancy fuel mixes and it all got away from the average flier so it killed it. Nice to see folks are still doing it someplace.

Hi Bingo Fuel.

As greggles47 has stated, 'Mini Goodyear' means different things to different people. Grin  The U.K. version has always been (so far as I can tell) minimum 1/12th scale, maximum 1.5cc (0.09 cubic inches) engine size, compression ignition (i.e. 'diesel') only, engine. The rules at one time specified plain bearing engines, only - but, currently, 'any commercially available single ball race steel/iron engine' is also permitted, under the British Model Flying Association's [BMFA's] rules. No engine modifications are permitted, 'other than to alter the choke diameter and/or to replace the spray bar.  The original induction system must be maintained.  If originally fitted with a spray bar, a spray bar must be retained.' As far as I know, U.K. Mini Goodyear has always been flown over grass and an undercarriage has always been optional - I don't ever recall seeing a [U.K.] Mini Goodyear model that was fitted with an undercarriage.

Off topic, I know, but U.K. 0.15 cubic inch (2.5 cc) sized Goodyear has been single undercarriage leg pretty much since it started in the 1970's - although there was one design ('Rivets'- published as a free plan in the August 1970 edition of the Aero Modeller magazine) which featured a two-wheel, wing mounted, undercarriage - and had a built-up wing. The other free plan that month was also a Goodyear model ['Long'Midget'] - also a built-up wing - but single undercarriage leg, as far as I can tell.  By the time [June 1973 and February 1975, respectively] that the articles and plans for the Mike Argander Special and Miss San Bernadino were published in the Aero Modeller, they were single leg undercarriage and solid balsa wood wings.  I can't think of any [U.K.] published Goodyear design since, that has been anything other than this.

Back on topic.  The U.K. Mini Goodyear rules are a good way to stop the 'speed monkeys' from moving a class away from its initially intended participants.  There are classes where people are allowed to throw as much money, skill and time at them as they wish to - and that is all good, in my book- 'horses for courses' and all that sort of stuff. Smiley

In the U.K., at least, Mini Goodyear has always been regarded (I think) as something of a 'lads and dads' class - and is no poorer for that, I'm sure. Grin

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins          
Bingo Fuel
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »

Greggles and Jez, thank you so much for the information on mini Goodyear and Goodyear in the UK and Australia. I’m happy to hear that it’s all still happening elsewhere. Back in the 70’s I built a mini GDR Cassutt racer with a Cox on the front. We flew one at a time and were timed for so many laps. I would usually come in at the middle of the pack. Now in older age would love to build something else other than the Cassutt and just fly it for fun. I want to build another American style Goodyear too with the fuel shutoff and fast fuel tank and all and just fly that for fun also. I always found Goodyear aircraft very easy to fly. Not at all like overly sensitive stunt. Thanks again for the info. Bingo
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 07:51:25 PM »

No problem Bingo. Smiley

One up 'time trials' is something that one (exclusively) control line model flying club in the U.K. has recently sought opinions from its Members about (for Mini Goodyear and others) - given that the current 'social distancing' arrangements preclude [for at least the foreseeable future] the usual three (or at least two) up, heats and finals.

I have been a firm believer, for a few years (and even more so, currently) in building and flying whatever 'floats your boat'/makes you smile.  You seem as though you have a plan, Bingo. Grin  Good luck with it and I hope that it does, indeed, make you smile.

U.K. Mini Goodyear models generally seem to fly pretty well - it is the 'gliding' bit that they are not so good at - the '15' sized Goodyear models seem much better in this respect, I think. Roll Eyes Grin

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins     

germanbuddy
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 12:24:09 AM »

Hi Bingo

you wrote:
I want to build another American style Goodyear too with the fuel shutoff and fast fuel tank and all and just fly that for fun also.

DMAA SPORTSMAN GOODYEAR RACING could fit into your Plan.

http://www.dmaa-1902.org/Rules/Sportsman_Goodyear.pdf

http://nclra.org/Plans/KnottyGirl/index.php

http://nclra.org/Plans/KnottyGirl/KnottyGirlPlans.pdf

http://nclra.org/Plans/Invictus/InvictusPlans.pdf

http://nclra.org/Plans/BooRay/BooRayPlans.pdf

cheers
Peter
Bingo Fuel
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 10:29:11 AM »

Thanks Peter. I will download those plans. I saw the real Boo Ray at Cleveland back in the 80’s when they used to race over Lake Erie. I remember that wing which replaced the typical Cassatt barn door version.
  I was digging through my old plans and found two I like. One is the old Falcon racer#10 that we raced back in the day and the other is a modified Cassatt called Misty with a tapered wing. Having never built Misty, I will probably go with that one. I found a brand new Super Tiger G15 glow in it’s box that I bought way back in 1973 when I lived in Tulsa but life got in the way so nothing more got built. These engines mentioned in the rules I’ve never heard of. Thanks again for the help. Bingo
germanbuddy
Copper Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 10:12:35 PM »

For more Info

http://nclra.org/index.php

http://nclra.org/TorqueRoll/2020-06.pdf

Bill Bischoff is a GREAT source finding fuel tanks, Shut-Offs and other Racing items for your "Cassutt" Project.
You can find Bill at "Torque Roll" Racing Newsletter.
Over the pond in Germany , we race with "made in US" Racing items with sucess.
Sadly not this season...covid stops us all.

cheers
Peter
GER-1223
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:06:25 PM by germanbuddy » Logged
germanbuddy
Copper Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 12:36:36 AM »

An other "CASSUTT" Racer @ post #737 + #740.

The "Knotty Girl" starts @ post #741 + #749 + #758.
I recommend "www.google translate".

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/367080-Hat-jemand-Lust-auf-Rat-Race/page50

regards
Peter
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:54:47 AM by germanbuddy » Logged
Bingo Fuel
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 10:05:23 AM »

Thanks again for so much help.  Bingo
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2020, 04:58:27 AM »

Finally got to test the Ol'Blu.
Not the happy result I was hoping for.
The shut off fired on take off, and from there I was the first at the scene of the accident. Seems that the tailplane had no authority at gliding speeds, I guess the single sided elevator doesn't translate to the smaller scale.
Apart from a small crack in the fuselage and tailplane no damage.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »

Annoying! Don't these pesky devices know they are there to help!

It sounds like some grass snagged the down line perhaps if it was a ROG?

At least there wasn't much damage.

John

greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 12:28:52 AM »

Sadly John I can’t take that as an excuse. It was just badly adjusted.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 07:31:17 PM »

Well I did give you the chance to use it as an excuse.  Smiley

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print