Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2020, 09:14:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peck Polymers Piper J3 Cub Build  (Read 2344 times)
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »

A bit more on the Cub today

First step was to bend up the undercarriage to the form on the plan and fix it to the part former F8. I used a small amount of quick epoxy, which is probably overkill but having mostly built larger outdoor free flight models it seemed a natural choice.

The front end has been pulled in to fit the front former and sheet side cheeks. I have to to say I deviated slightly from the kit here. The top half former that forms the front of the fuselage is incredibly weak , I stupidly broke mine in half just picking it up off the workbench !!! I cut another from some 1/64" ply and doubled that up with original to make a hopefully more robust attachment for the nose block

The front laser cut nose block seemed to just fit meaning that sanding to shape without breaking through the longerons would be tricky so I made another front nose a bit larger to give me a bit more margin when I sand it to shape

I've added the tail wheel and tail wheel leg as well so its looking more aircraft like now

The final pic makes clear Lurkers earlier comments about the supplied half wheels.. they look pretty cr*p

So I'll make some from laminated balsa

Weight has gone up accordingly and now stands at 5.5g for the final pic. Flying weight is heading towards 7-9g Huh
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Peck Polymers Piper J3 Cub Build
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 05:16:38 PM »

Quote from: Squirrelnet
So I'll make some from laminated balsa
Good.  It's a shame that Wind-it-Up supply such awful wheels with kits that are otherwise really good.

Quote from: Squirrelnet
Weight has gone up accordingly and now stands at 5.5g for the final pic. Flying weight is heading towards 7-9g Huh
That seems pretty good to me, but I think anything under 20g is remarkable. Smiley
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 01:33:17 PM »

Thanks Lurk

I didn't get very much done today on the Piper but I did add the top decking to the nose. I don't like the paper used in these kits so I sanded down some 1/32" balsa to about 1/64" and covered it with that .

I also made up some wheels.

I cut some rough discs from some light 3/32" sheet with compass cutter and glued them together with Alliphatic with the grain at 90 degrees. When dry I drilled a hole through them at the centre to take a short length of 1/8" dowel and glued it in. This forms a mandrel to mount in my Dremel so can I turn them using some oxide paper mounted on a strip of wood.

Once I got a decent fat ballon wheel shape I cut the dowel off where it meets the wheel and carefully drilled a hole through the centre of the dowel.

It takes a bit of effort but much nicer than the half wheel of the kit, thanks again Lurk

ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 02:40:10 PM »

Chris that's looking really good.  Lovely crisp work. 

You've mentioned weight a couple of times so If you're concerned there are a few good tricks at this point.

Take your sanding block and gently sand all 4 planes of the fuselage  - sides, top and bottom until you take it back closer to 1/20 square.  It's a peanut when all said and done so you're not constrained by the KS police.

Ditto your flying surfaces -I'd give the wings a good old rub on the flat under surface.

For sanding the tailplane and fin I make a simple sanding jig - a piece of hard 1/32 sheet with an exact cutout for the part.  Tack glue this to your bench and this holds your part nicely while you deal to it with your sanding block.  I'd take these down to 1/20 as well

Another thing to do would be to swap out the U/C  for some lighter wire - around 27swg is the maximum you need.  Guitar string wire is even better.  After the nuclear apocalypse the only things likely to survive are cockroaches and your current undercarriage  Grin

When you glaze it avoid the material supplied and find some really thin stuff such as what they wrap boxes  of tea in,  or even better the clear window in a Krispy Kreme do-nut box - ideal.

Hope this is of use

Cheers, Mike
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2020, 03:26:09 PM »

Thanks Mike, that's very much appreciated

I had taken a sanding block to the rear of fuselage but after your comments I will keep going down to 1/20" Cheesy

Point taken about the UC ...it came in the box is not much of an excuse. I'm sure finding some Kispy Creme Donuts won't be too much of a chore  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Chris
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 03:49:49 PM »

Great advice Mike!

Chris, the local equivalent is the cellophane from Tunnocks Teacakes - as recommended by that other master, sadly missed in this parish, Andrew Darby.

Jon
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2020, 04:29:43 PM »

It's a peanut when all said and done so you're not constrained by the KS police.

I said this to myself earlier when sanding my tailplane gussets to a radius. One of my favourite things to do, but I've not done it with my kit scale builds.
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2020, 06:16:11 PM »

Looks much better with some nice wheels!

A.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2020, 01:01:57 PM »

Thanks all.

Jon - are you denying me a Krispy Creme donut Sad  We get Tunnocks tea cakes all the time ....  Wink

Painted up, the wheels look much better. There's still some sanding to do the fuselage and wings but the airframe is just about there. I've sanded the tail and fin down to around 0.055 so nearly a 1/20th and done the same to the rear of the fuselage.

I think I'll stick with my Armageddon proof undercarriage, largely because I don't have anything thinner than 22swg to hand and I don't fancy trying cut it out of the fuselage without damaging the bottom longeron. I will order in some guitar strings for future use though.

With that in mind weight has crept up to 5.7g.

For the dummy engine I've used the same method as on the cylinders of my Sopwith Pup. I painted the basic balsa shape of the cylinders and cylinder head black and have used metallic thread to represent the cylinder head fins. Most of it is covered by a cylinder head cover so I only need one corner to look even

Fin and tail are now covered with the supplied yellow tissue. It's not Esaki as there is no shiny side so I assume it's Peck tissue. I gave the parts a very light water shrink and they are currently drying from a coat of 30/70 Non Shrinking Dope

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:39:51 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2020, 01:22:44 PM »

Great stuff, Chris. The sanding has made the airframe look altogether classier somehow. Very Cubbish too.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »

That's going together quickly .... and very well too!
The pin clamps put the size of the cylinders into perspective .... crisp work Chris  Smiley
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2020, 02:49:38 PM »

Quote from: abl
Looks much better with some nice wheels!
+1

Looks very nice altogether ackcherlee.
Rhys
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:13 PM »

Very nice job on the Cub! This is the clipped wing version? Can't wait to see the finished product.

Rhys
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 12:01:59 PM »

Thanks for the comments. Yes Rhys it's the clipped wing version.

I didn't get a lot done on this one today but its ready to cover now at least... I seem to have got a bit distracted making a quick build peanut sized model from 1.5mm polystyrene sheet sold for lining rooms under wallpaper
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 12:45:59 PM »

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing this one fly...

A.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2020, 01:13:58 PM »

Thanks Andy ... me too.. I'd better finish it then

To that end I didn't get much done this afternoon too much else to sort out but hope to finish covering it tomorrow.

I have managed to paint the interior of the cabin struts flat grey in preparation for covering the fuselage

Any thoughts on cabin glazing out there? Do I just stick the entire screen as per the pattern ( but cut from Tunnocks Tea Cake packaging) or individually glaze the side windows and do the screen in a separate piece ?
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »

FWIW, I'd copy the paper pattern from the plan and trying that out first; usually, it'll fit. If you can get it all done in one hit (canopy glue and tape) it'll be a lot easier handling one large(er) piece than several small ones, particularly for the curved part of the screen.

Just my two penn'orth.

> ...but cut from Tunnocks Tea Cake packaging.

Indeed. The only problem is that there are 6 in a pack for a total of 636 kCal...

A.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2020, 02:14:48 PM »

Quote from: Andy Blackburn
> ...but cut from Tunnocks Tea Cake packaging.
Indeed. The only problem is that there are 6 in a pack...
Buy two packs.  You know it makes sense.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »

Thanks Andy that makes a lot of sense.

Lurk - I’m tempted to buy two but if I buy 4 packs that’s my daily calorie intake sorted for the day and loads of lovely clear film for future  windscreens ..... actually I feel a bit sick just thinking about ... can you OD on  tunnocks tea cakes Huh
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2020, 03:35:14 PM »

...can you OD on  tunnocks tea cakes Huh

Yes, what happens is that you feel sick and swear never to eat another one ever again. Luckily, you recover after about 12 hours...
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »

what happens is that you feel sick and swear never to eat another one ever again. Luckily, you recover after about 12 hours..

...sounds like you have form on this ?
kkphantom
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2020, 06:13:05 AM »

Okay, I'll take one for the team.....how many windscreens do you need fellas?
Gary
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »

how many windscreens do you need fellas?

Gary - Shouldn't that be how many attempts at making a windscreen do you need... In my case a stomach ache inducing quantity  Embarrassed

I had hoped to get the wing on the Cub today but failed to realise as I'm doping the tissue before I attach the wings I need to set the wing in the right shape on both sides and that's not really a days job. Anyway fuselage sides and nose covered and left panel pinned down to dry.

I was hoping for the Nats but I think that's slipping away now what with other commitments... but two classes is probably enough anyway...that's if the virus doesn't screw it all up anyway
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »

I was hoping for the Nats but I think that's slipping away now what with other commitments...

Well, it looks to me as though you're nearly finished, so I think it's still possible. I'm still hoping for the nats myself but I'm at least a week behind and am still finishing off the fuselage...

A.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »

A bit more on the Cub today

The wings have now been doped and set in their position by pinning them flat while the dope dries. I've added in my usual small amount of washout to both wings 1/32" in this case.

Once the wing is fixed on to the top of the fuselage the rest of the top of the fuselage can be finished with the addition of a 1/16" sq longeron to blend the wing into the fuselage and the covering added.

I'm going to fit a pilot and to my eye this model demands a 1970's style paper pilot for a 1970's Bob Peck designed kit  (despite the new BMFA rules favouring a 3d pilot  Huh - there's more to life than BMFA rules) What better than a Paul Plecan drawn printed pilot  Grin from the 'Paper Pilots' PDF. It has various sizes of various styles of pilots with a guide to which popular peanut models use which size pilot

The odd quirk of the Cub was that when flown solo with the pilot sat in the rear seat so I'll have to stick him in offset slightly to avoid the rubber motor. The plan is to stick his head to the underside of the rear of the cockpit roof.

I've made up some decals too for G-ATZM. They are a rather strange mixture of fonts but that's how they look from the photos I have. I only need one wing decal and two fuselage decals but as I'm committing a whole sheet of Sunnyscopa decal sheet it seems silly not to print lots of copies
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:33:43 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: