Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 25, 2020, 08:09:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Loening Air Yacht  (Read 930 times)
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 45

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »

Happy New Year, everybody.

Over the last couple of months I have come to the conclusion that I must have some kind of illness. Not a very special one perhaps among our lines, but still the signs and the symptoms are definetely there...

There is no other way to explain it, there must be something wrong with me.

With one long term and rather time demanding project still running (S-39), many others, equally ambitious, left incomplete (Spad XIII, Fokker F.II), why, WHY, start thinking about new ones?

The Sikorsky S-39 has been sitting idle for a few months. After Nijmegen and the remaining weeks until the holidays there was no real time to do anyhing. But now, why not continue instead of making new dreams, eh plans...

And I am not talking about one simple extra project... At the moment I have several started:

New set of wings and comple recovering of my AVRO F, following the flights in Nijmegen. Not severly damaged, but I cannot stand looking at broken leading edges. So new wings... But the covering will not look the same after all the time and weathering effort...so, new covering...

My Sopwith Batboat (2004 Interscale CO2 flop) was flying well as a micro RC model. But over the years it was enough deformed. One specific night I thought about correcting some errors, so I started removing this or that... Guess what, the model is now in pieces, partially wirth removed covering as well. It was completed in 2004, since then I found additional documentation which showed errors in the drawings I used... So we start with creating a new, more accurate set of drawings. Clearly a year's work at least...

And we come to the title of this new topic... The Loening Air Yacht, another long time entry in my to do list.

Yes, another project, which I thought might be more straitforward, especilly with a good drawing at hand. So I start searching for and collecting extra documentation. Only to find out that the drawings are inaccurate... The very correct suggestion from another history related forum was, make your own set of drawings, based on a very basic, but correct outline 3-view...Normally one would abort or postpone it. No, not me. It stays high in the list...

The only thing that somehow consoles me, is the fact that I did start and finish a model in 2019, my Blackburn monoplane for Kit Scale, so there might be hope after all...

The way things are, I fear that Iwill come once again (which I hate) with the very same models to Nijmegen in November... Boring, for me and others as well, isn't it... I migh try a peanut... Wait, that is yet another new project!!!

Anyway, I am starting this topic for the Loening, I will start another for the Batboat where there already is some progress with the wings.

Please do not judge me too hard Smiley

Back to the Loening...
So, to begin with, here is a very specific question... Does anybody have the following issues from M.A.N. magazine, February, June, July and October 1958? There are supposed to be drawings of the Loening amhibians, both military and Air Yacht versions. I could use some good scans of the complete articles...

The drawing I have is from October 1958, I do not kwow if there was a text as well...

I do have the Grover Loening book on the amhibian...

Any help is welcome,

George

of M.A.N. in 1958. Probably in February, June, July and October issues (the 3 last for sure).

George
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Loening Air Yacht
Loening Air Yacht
Loening Air Yacht

scale free flight & micro RC
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 09:54:50 AM »

Hi George, “interesting” project. My gran would have described that as “a baby that only it’s mother could love”!

And yes you are ill but a lot of us are similarly afflicted Grin

Tim
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »

I am a well known aeromodelling "mother" who loves ugly baby airplanes... The list is long...

ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 03:08:10 PM »

Just happened to discover a pic of my loening from
about 25 yrs ago
Re: Loening Air Yacht
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »

That's a very unusual aeroplane George I can see your attraction
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »

Hi Mike,

that looks great. It is the navy version, I would very much like to know more specific details, size, power, performance etc...

Hi Chris,
welcome to the "mothers" club...

ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:21:24 PM »

Kandy
This beast is @ 34" span and was set up as an elect FF model for power scale competition.
Flew well, she would land on a sod (short grass) field and actually skim along as if on water.
One flight at Muncie she actually landed on a water puddle over by one of the
corn fields. She was proud as could be sitting there on the water.
Motor was something like a speed 400 with an old style ni cd 6 cell battery pack.
She had a 7" prop (clearance). Very easy to hand launch and was quite majestic in flight.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 144

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 05:35:16 PM »

The Air Yacht is not ugly. " Beautiful" is the word you're looking for; perhaps an even better looking bird than the Auster Agricola to some eyes.

As you know from Facebook, my dad made this big RC Loening OL-8 and your posting on here reminded me that I was going to ask him about his sources for this model in case he had anything on the Air Yacht too. Anyway I've just emailed him and he replied...
"I have drawings of the OL-8, from Skyways magazine. I will post them to you as I don't have a scanner at the moment. The Air Yacht was very similar I think, apart from the in-line engine."

So, let me know if you think the OL-8 Skyways drawings will be any use and I'll send them on.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »

Fascinating subject! I was amazed to see that an early form of a venturi type exhaust was used! I can see why it has got your attention - loads of interesting details on Nye's drawings.

John.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 05:01:08 AM »

Great subject, George  Smiley ... I love the passenger windows on the particular subject that you are building.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 08:27:49 AM »

George,
           This is another one OL8 on my to do list. I have all the drawings you have requested and would be pleased to send them to you but it wil have to wait for my return to NZ as I am in the UK at the moment. The Loening series of aircraft have a real appeal.
Ricky
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 04:52:10 PM »

Mike,
wow, indeed a beast at that size and power. Glad to hear it flew well! Thanks...

It is unusual, but it does have a lot of charisma. Both as naval and as civilian version.

Ricky, I do not mind waiting, I have no better option, any way. A big thanks for your offer!

As I wrote, I am busy enough as is. If I do not collect enough documentation information, I cannot start anyway...

Opening a topic on the Sopwith Bat-boat in the Micro RC forum.
Although the construction is better suited here, it is not going to be for free flight, so I wouldn't want to raise eyebrows.

George

Rhys
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 10:20:27 PM »

gk

How does the Thomas Bulger plan from MAN or the Cleveland Model Supply compare with your build?

Rhys
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 02:49:12 AM »

Hi Rhys,

The M.A.N. plan is pretty bad, it comes from 1927 where the expectations of accuracy in scale models might not have been very high.

The Cleveland plan is a lot better, I cannot compare it with an accurate 3-view, because there is none. That on the plan looks ok but is very basic. It is however a different version of what I want to build, with a wide fuselage all along the length...

George

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 144

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 04:29:09 AM »

Hi George,
I've just emailed you these OL-6/8 drawings that my dad sent me from Skyways magazine. They're what he used for his big RC model. Just posting here in case others are interested too.
Pete
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »

Hi Pete,

Yes, received, thank you very much...

They will come in handy. I imagine the main components of the navy plane, such as wings, tail and perhaps even hull float remained unchanged for the Air Yacht, so it is nice to have something extra to compare, or to add to the confusion...

Segal's law is another of my favorites (Murphy leads of course...):
"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Applicable to documentation drawings as well...

George

fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 11:41:07 PM »

Grumman J2F "duck' ... the Loening in adult form.
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 11:21:00 AM »

Mom built two J2F engine mounts a night for Columbia Aircraft in ling Island, NY, right up until war's end.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 96

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »

George,

Do you have a copy of the Air Yacht article by Richard Allen in the Oct 1996 Skyways?  The 3-view in that article is pretty basic, but there are some nice photos, specs and discussion of the airplane.  I can scan and send it to you if you don't already have it.

Mike
Clay
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »

Issue #40.  Still available as PDF download and/or print on demand here:

http://ww1aeroinc.org/blog1/store-skyways-page-2/

Visit Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.
www.oldrhinebeck.org

Attend our annual Cole & Rita Palen Annual Memorial Free Flight Meet.
WW1 Mass Launch, Boxy Bipe Mass Launch, Unlimited Mass Launch and more...
No AMA...No FAC...just fun!!!
See website for event details as they come available.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 06:09:06 PM »

Hi Mike,

I was a subscriber from the beginning until about 1994, when I finished my military service. Starting a new life, I chose to continue only with WW1 Aero as Skyways seemed too "american" and too modern for me at the time.

So, no, I do not have it. Scans are most welcome therefore.

Thanks,

George

Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 77

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »

The June, July, September, 1958 M.A.N. Loening drawings are in the HPA Plan Gallery.

Search: Loening
Download: Loening Aircraft 3 Views
Open folder: Loening Amphibian

Mark
Clay
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »

https://freeflight.org/product/loening-ol-9-2/

Visit Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.
www.oldrhinebeck.org

Attend our annual Cole & Rita Palen Annual Memorial Free Flight Meet.
WW1 Mass Launch, Boxy Bipe Mass Launch, Unlimited Mass Launch and more...
No AMA...No FAC...just fun!!!
See website for event details as they come available.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »

Thanks Clay,

I have had this plan from the 80s, one of the first I ordered from Flying Models. Never got to proceed a lot though, 30% of the fuselage and one wing panel. Too ambitious for me at the time...

Learned a lot though.

Mark, I tried to find them but I couldn't. I must be doing something wrong. However in the meantime Ricky "DHnut" steped in and sent me the scans from all four issues (thanks...). So that is covered.

As for the Skyways issue, although the name is the same, it deals with the previous version, not the OL-8/9 based variant.

All that is needed now is for the project to climb back to the top of the list. Now it is the Weick for the Walt Mooney cook-up... Unless I... (Shame, shame, shame...)

George

robert pajas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 20

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 08:25:50 PM »

Hi, George!

Nice project!

R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up