Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 25, 2020, 09:47:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cub Scout Flier Embryo  (Read 124 times)
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »

The indoor flying bug is in full action.  I am building some models for the upcoming Cloudbuster meet in Pontiac next month. 

6 years ago, I designed a simple stick model that I built with the Cub Scouts.  I had sketched an Embryo at that time, but time didn't allow for building.  I now have made the time to get moving on this model.

16in span, laid down the box to get max width on the fuse, 9in hook to peg length, and added some scale like features like skylight and the windshield braces.  Plan to print tissue to match the Cub Scout flier scheme.  Will add some 3D printed engine cylinders and exhaust.

Archie Adamisin   
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Cub Scout Flier Embryo
Cub Scout Flier Embryo
Cub Scout Flier Embryo
Cub Scout Flier Embryo
Cub Scout Flier Embryo
Cub Scout Flier Embryo
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 08:06:39 PM »

I have since finished and competed with this model.  Many lessons learned. 

I printed the tissue using an Epson printer and Durabrite ink.  Unlike NoCal and Phantom Flash, I didn't preshrink the tissue.  I printed in ink saver mode as well to make sure the tissue wasn't soaked.  Work nicely. 

I used Randolph's Buturate Dope on the frame work and then thinner to stick the tissue.  I used water to shrink the tissue.  It worked quite well.  I put the parts on the shrinking jigs to make sure not to warp anything.  The wing was shrunk with 3/32" washout in the left wing.  Plan was to set up for left turn. 

I used 2 deg down and 2 deg right thrust in the nose block.  Seemed correct.

Trimming the finished model proved it would not fly to the left.  No idea what the cause, but I removed the left trim and it flew perfectly to the right.  So I went with it.  Finished model turned out at 10 grams.  Took weight in the nose and wing tip so it bulked up to 11.5 grams.  I couldn't get the climb i wanted, but it had a nice cruise.  I am convinced that the 7 x 9.1 has too much pitch.  I am making a 7 x 7 and a 7 x 7.7 to try next.  Adding more motor didn't increase the climb. 

I have attached pictures and a link to flight video. 

https://youtu.be/1gttn4nIqNU

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Cub Scout Flier Embryo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print