Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 19, 2020, 04:02:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rubber model identification needed  (Read 302 times)
BigR
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2020, 11:30:15 PM »

Hi all,

I posted this in the "completed models rubber" section; should be here instead, I think.

I need some help identifying this plane. It was built by Dan Keegan. The workmanship is much better than I could do with my fumble fingers. There are some markings on it which indicates he was associated with the Oakland Cloudbusters. I meant to ask Bud Romak for info but didn’t see him at the Arizona Southwest Regionals contest last week, and forgot to ask Jim O’Reilly or Alan Heinrich who would have probably known what design it was.

Anyhow here are the specs. Wingspan is 35 inches projected with a chord of 4 and one half inches. There are four spars on the top and four on the bottom of the wing.

Fuselage looks to be of 3/32 square, width 1 and one quarter, height 1 and three quarter inches, 29 inches long. Distance from “firewall” to the motor peg is 20 and one quarter inches. There is a raised wing rest that looks to be of 3/32 sheet balsa. The fuselage has diagonals on the sides and “X” crossed reinforcements every other bay top and bottom.

Stab is 15 and one half inch span chord 3 and three eighths.  Twin tails in the shape of Kelly Johnson P38 or Constellation form. Big paddle prop is 14 inches in diameter, has a wood hub.

I have been flying it in Mulvihill and Andrade though I don’t think it is optimized for either event. Is this possibly a Nostalgia era plane of some sort? Haven’t seen any plans on the ‘Net that seem to match.

Thanks,

John in Prescott, Arizona
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Rubber model identification needed

John in Prescott
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 02:09:38 AM »

No idea what it is, but by your description and the pic I could have it built in a couple of days if I needed to.
BigR
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 03:27:55 AM »

I forgot a couple of photos.
Re: Rubber model identification needed

John in Prescott
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 07:18:43 AM »

It looks like the same design as in the photo on the opening page of the NFFS web site (free flight.org)

I did a quick run through the O'Reilly plans and didn't see it.

Louis

PS Good looking model. I did come across a suggestion about slightly towing in twin rudders. Wonder if your model has that.
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 10:28:23 AM »

Torontorian??
BigR
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 11:42:36 AM »

No, that has a longer span, 46 inches.

I went through all the Jim o'Reilly, Bob Holman and Retro R/C and didn't see any. Searched all 839 rubber models on Aerofred, too.

The twin rudders are parallel to the airflow.

Still looking, thanks for the ideas.

John in Prescott

John in Prescott
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 01:51:29 PM »

Possibly a self-design?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
3931bob
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 01:08:31 PM »

Looks very much like a Stratometer. A pre-war, approx 34" span Old Timer design that competes with the Gollywocks, good flyer. From your pics, I can see a couple changes that were made- original had sheeted fuselage sides and that the rear peg was moved forward by 2"-3".  Attached is pic of mine, won 2nd place Old Timer small fuselage at 1999 SAM Champs.
3931bob
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 09:45:36 PM »

Looks very much like a Stratometer. A pre-war, approx 34" span Old Timer design that competes with the Gollywocks, good flyer. From your pics, I can see a couple changes that were made- original had sheeted fuselage sides and that the rear peg was moved forward by 2"-3".  Attached is pic of mine, won 2nd place Old Timer small stick at 1999 SAM Champs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: