Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 08, 2020, 05:35:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Ever Balsa Build - Peanut scale Found Centennial  (Read 1388 times)
Dunc
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 06:55:07 AM »

If you use glue stick then remember to seal the edges with PVA before water shrinking. The glue is water soluble and the tissue will pull away from the structure as it shrinks. Guess how I know that!
Ron

Cheers Ron, I'd imagine that made a bit of a mess.
Viperkite
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »

I use glue stick and as long as I let it dry, I can watershrink no problem.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 03:59:03 AM »

On Ez dope it seems you either love it or hate it.  I am a dyed in the wool user of good old fashioned smelly dope.  Have been using it for almost 70 years.   I can’t get on with Ez dope.  Simple!  It is also expensive.  Ideally low shrink dope well thinned.  Depending on how well your covering turns out - reasonably taught for example plus a spray or two with water should be sufficient and then non shrink dope.- well thinned. Shrinking dope can be a bit robust for a peanut. As you will progress you will find your covering improves sufficiently to use a spray and a coat of thinned non shrink dope.  Or no dope even!

Otherwise looking good.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 05:02:54 AM »

Hi Dunc- just to put the other side...
 Yes, Ezedope dope does shrink and tautens up nicely. If you do use it though apply the first coat thinned with at least  90% water. Apply it with a foam brush, or just a piece of foam sponge, spread it about evenly, sparingly and trying not to let the stuff puddle. The second coat can be a bit stronger (70% water) and is applied the same way. Ezedope makes everything wet and baggy till it dries which is a big problem on thin parts like tailplanes and rudders where the two sides will stick together if you’re not very careful, or even if you are. I like Ezedope though; the tissue doesn’t go as transparent as with normal dope and I like the finish.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »

EzeDope is OK if (as Pete said) you're careful with it.  If you're doing a single colour finish and only applying small bits of other tissue colours to that by way of decoration it's pretty good but unless the tissue used has a high wet strength that's about as far as I would try and take it.  Trying to apply a large area or something like a cheat-line that requires any kind of tension on it to pull it straight is a bit... fraught.

On the plus side, and it's a big plus, there are no fumes so you can build and cover in a nice warm dining/front room without alienating, choking or otherwise irritating the rest of the family.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2020, 04:53:40 AM »

Yes I do of course work in a (heated) shed so other members of the household are not affected.  But in any event have never been one to work in the rooms in the house because one has to clear things away.  Set in my ways you see.  I did find as Pete said thin structures were a problem with sticking. And likewise some allegedly Esaki tissue that proved to have no wet strength was a failure. So the upshot was stuff Ezedope.  But ‘tis a free country so you can take your choice and use what suites you.  With care and acquired expertise “dope” of any kind may well not be needed on a peanut.

I have also found by accident that a conventionally doped surface, with coloured tissue trim, will shrink further with a carefully applied fine spray of water and otherwise have no adverse effect. This saves weight of course.

Building small model stick and tissue aeroplanes is quite a steep learning curve so you will need some patience and stamina.  The rewards however are worth it.
Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »

Sorry I've not updated in a while, I went on a visit to Edinburgh with Mrs Dunc. What a lovely city, despite the weather.

So my worries about dope choices were a little premature. Apparently Royal Mail don't move dope about and it has to be couriered.
EZ dope it is then!

I've attached my wire landing gear to the fuselage with sewing thread and then glued it all in place. It was something I saw in this book I've got. It seemed a sensible way of doing it so I copied it.

As I obviously needed dope to continue I ordered some bits too.
2 sizes of prop and a length of rubber, I went with with the shops recommendation of 3/32. If it don't work I can always switch it.

In the photo is my first go at sticking tissue to the balsa. On this occasion I used straight / uncut EZ dope and it seems to have worked OK.
I've not shrunk the tissue yet as I want to use one of those mist sprayer things rather than a brush.
I'll probably cover the fuse next as I'm worried about the wing with it having dihedral tips.
Anyway I thought I'd let you all know I've not quit or anything!

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: First Ever Balsa Build - Peanut scale Found Centennial
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »

Steam will also shrink tissue, if you don't overdo it.
Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »

Well we are getting nearer to having a model that looks like an aircraft.

Things I've learned:
1) using straight ex dope to attach the tissue has left some marks on the tissue, inside of the framework. Probably best to use an alternative if I'm wobbly handed!

2) Bending a bit of wire accurately is not as easy as it sounds.

3) I hadn't considered the actual finish of the model. I've used sharpie just to put some coloured lines on the plane, this has worked but I'm no artist and everything seemed in my way. Next time I'll look at preshrinking and colouring the tissue before attaching to the airframe.

So far I've only applied one coat of 70/30 ez dope on top of the shrunk tissue. It still seems delicate and not really coated in much. I'll probably apply another coat and see how that looks but I'm obviously not wanting to add too much weight.

Next job is fashion some wheels.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2020, 06:36:37 AM »

Not bad at all Dunc.  Looks rather neat.  You did take on a challenge because peanuts are, as are other diminutive models, not easy to cover.  Certainly worry about weight but not to much at this stage.  When you build the next one or two you very likely will begin to  acquire the obsession about weight that afflicts us all.   Good to see you are not daunted. Keep it up. 
Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »

Thanks David, it's not been without its challenges but it looks quite neat, I'm happy for a first go.

I finally got some "wheels" made. They're a bit rough but I made them myself. I found a "how to" which spoke of layering balsa sheet so I followed that.

The "bearing" is a straw from my wd40, I'll be cursing myself one day soon!

I've also had a go at a windscreen of sorts. I made that out of the packaging that was used for the paint brushes I bought for the doping. Nice to reuse.
I made a paper template first then cut the plastic to shape, its glued in place with ca.
My wing and tail assembly have also been glued in place.

Not much left to do but I'm going to need some help with the next bits, namely making a motor and choosing a propeller.
I bought a kit which has 3 sizes the photos show the smaller of the 2 and that is larger than the one on the plan.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 183

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 07:17:46 PM »

Well done Dunc. A good effort for your first attempt.

John
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 02:41:14 AM »

Dunc, your first Peanut looks quite nice!
Peanuts are not easy. I am sure many first time Peanut builders jumped out of the window due to frustration.... So well done!
I hope it also flies as nice. Let us know how it goes. Teaching the Peanut-Pilot can also be quite a challenge. Good Luck and calm air.
Roman
Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2020, 07:59:29 AM »

Well done Dunc. A good effort for your first attempt.

John

Thanks John, there is loads I'd want to do better next time around. For example my nose block isn't the greatest looking item, need to practice sanding balsa into shapes!

I also found the wire for the rear wheel a total mess. The plan isn't too clear so I made the best guess attempt. By the way I used a broken mandolin string for this. I love a bit of repurposing.
Dunc, your first Peanut looks quite nice!
Peanuts are not easy. I am sure many first time Peanut builders jumped out of the window due to frustration.... So well done!

Thanks Roman, I've not been tempted to launch myself from a window and it wouldn't be too dramatic if I did as I live in a bungalow. I'd probably just land on a disgruntled cat.

As to flying, it certainly looks to be tricky to get right but I hope my plane can withstand my learning curve. If not I guess I'll learn to repair before I learn to fly!
I'm going to give it a chuck as soon as the wind calms, it's a bit blustery today.

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »

Quote from: Dunc
...there is loads I'd want to do better next time around.
That never changes. There's always something you look at when you get to the end of build and think, "If only I had....", but you will get better and make fewer mistakes as you build more.  I think you should be very pleased with what you've put together especially having chosen such a demanding scale for your first stick and tissue build.   Good luck with the flying.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2020, 04:15:18 PM »

Dunc - that will do  (very) nicely - I think each and everyone of us does better each time around so you have got the idea already.  I would pick an exceptional  flat calm day - where you can drop a piece of tissue because peanuts are very sensitive to the slightest air movement. What may be flat calm to you will be a force 9 to a peanut.  Enjoy. 

And for your next trick - take your time and reflect again what you have learnt with this one on suitability all round - although the Centennial is a good choice.  Perhaps though something a little larger - 18 or 20ins span?

Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »

Thanks David, I'm definitely waiting for a dead calm time to give her a throw. I'm keen to see what happens but also anxious of the results!

Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2020, 11:05:24 AM »

Just a little update as the model is nearly what I would call finished.

I've made a rubber motor following a guide somewhere. It suggested using a rubber 'o' ring at each end to attach to the drive shaft (not sure what else to call it) and the rear peg. The article suggested using a length 1/3 longer than the peg to drive shaft distance.  So far so good and I have spare rubber if I want to do a different length or braid the rubber.
All up weight seems to be 14 grams.

Today is dead calm so I may pop out with my daughter after school pick up and give her a throw to see how she glides. The model that is not my daughter!
I'll ask her to video the outcome and hopefully you experienced chaps can tell me how she looks. Again the model and not my daughter.
Cheers for now.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 72

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »

Look forward to updates Smiley
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2020, 11:11:56 PM »

Today is dead calm so I may pop out with my daughter after school pick up and give her a throw to see how she glides. The model that is not my daughter!
I'll ask her to video the outcome and hopefully you experienced chaps can tell me how she looks. Again the model and not my daughter.

If you manage to launch your daughter instead of the model and the resultant glide is better than that of the model - you can while pondering all this in a cell be certain that your model building was not successful Grin

Also looking forward to the flight reports on the model Dunc.

Cheers
John
Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2020, 10:39:59 AM »

Well neither my precious little one or my daughter were launched the other day! Good news on the child protection case, not so much for the model.

Today though, I went for my allowed exercise with my plane in hand. It was quite calm so I risked a flight. My stepson who is here for the duration of lock down took a video, I'll try to link to my YouTube so you can take a look.
Anyway she flew, its brief but she showed some promise. It seems to climb quite sharply then ran out of puff.
Anyway here's the link, again thanks for the support so far an I'll take any tips you can give from this initial flight.
https://youtu.be/9oecnImhLiY

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2020, 06:30:08 AM »

it looks ok to me Dunc. I think it probably only needs a longer motor and more turns on the propeller.

How many turns was it flying with on the video and what size rubber are you using( what width actually)? What size prop?

John

Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2020, 07:40:08 AM »

it looks ok to me Dunc. I think it probably only needs a longer motor and more turns on the propeller.

How many turns was it flying with on the video and what size rubber are you using( what width actually)? What size prop?

John

Thanks John, I was pleased that it looked like it wanted to go.
So I was only using my finger to find with no stooge, so probably uneven to start with. I couldn't tell you how many turns as using my finger meant I couldn't count very well.
I'm going to purchase a winder at the earliest opportunity.

Rubber was a loop of 1/8th which is about 1.5" longer than the peg to prop distance.

Prop is a plastic peck, 4.75"

I do have more rubber and a larger prop which is 6".

Thanks again
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2020, 08:07:19 AM »

Looks good, Dunc- and brave of you to take a plane on your lockdown exercise trip! Let's hope you get a chance to wind her up properly before too many months pass.

Incidentally, I'm not very far from you in Cottingham. (In fact if it starts raining up your way, let me know as my wife's got the washing out.  Cheesy)
Dunc
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »

Hi Pete, weather report is fine so far! We also have some on the line.

My wife is at Hull Uni and I used to do so I know where are.

I can't wait for restrictions to be lifted so I can really learn how to fly, so frustrating. Perhaps when this is all done we could meet up and you could help me learn? There'd be a beer in it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: