Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 02, 2020, 02:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: flying handles  (Read 215 times)
whiskers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2020, 06:33:44 PM »

I'm just about to re-start control line flying after a break of some 35 or so years. Can't wait. I was wondering what handles out there are good.

Here in UK there seems to be a limited choice now. Micro-mould, Sulivan (2 types) and P.A.W. which looks like a real beast!

I remember my old handle used to be adjustable, alloy and painted dark red. All my flying pals had one - seemed to work for us with our peacemakers and similar .15-.35 sized stunters. This is the size of plane I plan to be using mostly. I can't recall much more than that about it.

Not sure if I should buy or make a DIY one...
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:11:39 AM »

Hi whiskers.

I have used the Micro Mold ones for years, with no problems.  Good for 'general purpose' use - line spacing too wide for team race.  I've no experience of the Sullivan handles - so cannot comment on these.  I've no experience of PAW's stunt/general purpose handle either (although I do have an [as yet unused] team race version of their handle).  The team race version is very well engineered and I've no reason to doubt that their stunt/general purpose handle will be any less so.

The only tricky bit in making your own handle is to devise a system where you can (i) easily adjust line length (making up two identical length lines is not the easiest of tasks - plus your most comfortable hand position may not result in 'neutral elevator' on the model) but (ii) also be sure that the 'line length adjustment mechanism' can be 'locked' (or else secured in some other way) so that the 'line length' does not alter, during your flight (one line suddenly becoming two inches longer and the other two inches shorter is not a good thing, whether it is the 'up' or 'down' line that gets 'shorter'/'longer').  Smiley

The only other suggestion that I would make to you is to fit a 'safety lanyard' to your handle (whether a 'bought', or 'home-made' handle) and make sure that you secure the free end of the lanyard to your wrist, before each and every flight. This way, if you get dizzy/fall over, or otherwise lose your grip on the handle, the model will still be 'tethered' to you and you will avoid a 'fly-away'.

I hope that you will enjoy your 'free of £9 CAA registration fee' flying experience. Smiley

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins    
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »

Thanks Jez. I'll go for a Micro Mold handle for now and see how I get on. I'll put my £9.00 towards some building supplies!!!
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »

Thanks Jez. I'll go for a Micro Mold handle for now and see how I get on. I'll put my £9.00 towards some building supplies!!!

No problem whiskers.Smiley  You won't go far wrong with the Micro Mold handle, at least for starters, in my experience.Smiley

The Micro Mold handles are cheap enough for you to use some of your £9 'saving' on buying (depending upon how many different C/L models you intend to fly in a session) a second handle.  That way, you can set up two complete 'handle, line and model sets' at the beginning of the session and then alternate between the two at will (subject to a quick 'pre-flight' check, before each flight, to make sure nothing has 'slipped', or broken) - rather than having to swap the handle between models and maybe having to make further adjustments to 'line length'.  Just a thought - and you will still be £2* 'in pocket'.Smiley

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins

*Edit. Could be more than £2 - I based this figure on £7, on one website - but have since seen them for £5.75, on another - although I doubt that either of these two prices includes delivery.            
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »

Handle on order. Cheap as chips...C/L flying just keeps better!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: