Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 14, 2021, 04:17:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Capacitor powered electric vs. rubber.  (Read 1894 times)
sx976
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 05:31:12 AM »

I do a lot of indoor RC flying with Depron scale profile models that I design myself. I thought that the Grumman Avenger would make a good capacitor FF model for the hall. I found a No-Cal model plan on the web and scaled it down to 75% to give a span of 320mm. I fitted the Chinese model power unit (in the meantime I had ordered a couple more). The model has a little more area than the Chinese model and is a tad lighter at 8.81g vs 10.76g.

Chris P
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Capacitor powered electric vs. rubber.
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 05:48:56 AM »

When the Avenger was finished I decided to have another go at a scale profile. I had always wanted to build an Avro Manchester, but RC would be difficult with the twin fins. FF is a doddle! A plan was scaled up to 450mm span. I have not yet fitted the motors or Supercap as I want to see the Avenger fly first. The Manchester is basically a double area Avenger. As shown the model weighs 10.98g. I'm targetting 21.5g as the finished weight, which should be achievable. I think it will be two ungeared motors with a central Supercap (15F??). I am not happy about the tiny slide switches I ordered. There are stiff in their operation. I have ordered some tiny limit microswitches with the idea of holding the button down while charging and then releasing while launching the model. We will see.

Chris P
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 06:05:20 AM »

This was yesterday's project. It's the URUAV Wasp from Banggood. I ordered the one with the balsa wing, not the foam. I think that's the best way to go. I removed the RC actuators, made new 1mm tail surfaces to replace the ones with the actuators and installed a 3.3F Supercap. The model quality is excellent, but I had to use a magnifying glass so that I could remove plastic flash on the gearbox pinion which was stopping the gearbox from working.
225mm span, weight 5.8g.

Chris P
ghcrash
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 07:22:18 AM »

Outstanding work everybody.   It's great to see what other people are doing with capacitors.  More of you capacitor tinkers should chime in with your creations.  And how about some flight reports on what you've built?

George
kaintuck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2021, 05:48:20 PM »

Just finish for a flying friend, Cleveland Viking, 28", 2- 5F supercaps wire in parallel for the Chinese geared pager motor, 20gm rtf weight. The caps run a strong 20 sec burst, she really sounds good. Bad weather here, so we can't fly right now outsid, and Covid has our indoorsite shutdown..... Roll Eyes
https://ibb.co/QQCcQ5c
Capacitor powered electric vs. rubber.
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2021, 07:43:45 AM »

I just finished my Delta Dart from Outerzone plans (oz7931). I was inspired by the very helpful 2011 Olmpiad report on HPA. I was amazed that a humble Delta Dart could turn in 50 seconds indoors. I stayed with the concept mentioned - 720 motor, 65mm prop and a 10F capacitor. The model weighs 12.22g vs the original 13.4g, so it's all looking good. Just waiting for the end of lockdown.
I first thought of buying an original kit. The most were around $7 but shipping costs from the States kills it. In the end I built it for free from the scrap box.

Chris P
Mark G
Copper Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2021, 10:56:14 AM »

Here is my Mini cardinal. 24" span.
Geared coreless motor & a 10 Farad super cap.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2021, 10:59:24 AM »

Cute!  Cool Cool
ghcrash
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »

Mark,
 Can you tell me which motor you are using?   And, what is the planes's weight?  Have you flown it yet?

George
Mark G
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2021, 07:25:48 AM »

The motor is a geared 7 x 20 from Bangood, model weight is 79 grams.
The motor & gearbox combo puts out about 54 grams of thrust on 1 lipo (according to the reviews) so it'll be a bit less on a capacitor but hopefully still enough for a gentle stooge around the sky.
There is a little lead in the front so I have the option of a bigger motor or an extra cap if needed.
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 05:03:01 AM »

Mark & Yak52 - Do you attend any of the Old Warden events? Despite the 800km drive from Germany I usually make it to Mayfly, but it was cancelled last year. I am still hoping that Mayfly 2021 will take place, but I think the chances are low. I was hoping to enter my Manchester in the Ebeneezer event.

Chris P
Mark G
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2021, 06:50:29 AM »

I've only been to OW once or twice and not for years, but I do intend to go again.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 06:02:51 PM »

Very nice little Cardinal Mark.

John
Kiwi
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2021, 03:34:41 AM »

Here is my all foam peanut size "Lazy Bee". Weight is 21 grams and power train came from a "Air Hog" toy. Power is more than adequate
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2021, 08:30:27 AM »

I was able to do some indoor flying due to a mild relaxation of the lockdown rules. I was able to fly all my capacitor models. A couple are too powerful and make a beeline for the hall roof. A couple need some tweaking. The star of the show was the URUAV Wasp (Post #27). It did a 45 second flight straight out of the box and repeated this 3 times with no trimming necessary. If anyone is looking for an indoor model to start with, this is it!

This is fun!!

Chris P
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »

Here's a video of the Wasp flying :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK2hU0D2OYQ

Chris P
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2021, 08:24:33 PM »

Not bad Chris ! What is this hat throwing business? Cheesy

John

lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 01:38:05 AM »

The Wasp flies nicely.

Have you considered slightly smaller props for the models that climb too much?
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 03:26:50 AM »

The Wasp flies nicely.

Have you considered slightly smaller props for the models that climb too much?
I am doing that on my other models and also reducing the size of the capacitors. The Wasp has a very strange flexible transparent prop on the gearbox. I really don't want to disturb it. We have indoor flying in our hall tomorrow and I will be able to see what some the prop downsizing has done on the other models. It's certainly easier to do on non-geared motors.

What I also have to do is to get two of my models flying under power and on the glide in the same direction. Both of them do a nice powered flight and as the power comes off they turn the other way and fly into the wall.

Chris P
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2021, 05:46:16 AM »

Not bad Chris ! What is this hat throwing business? Cheesy

John

Actually my handkerchief! The Wasp is quite fast after landing, often heading off to the far ends of the hall. I'm just too old to go sprinting after a toy plane!

Chris P
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2021, 06:07:00 AM »

OK, I know it's not a capacitor. And I apologize if it's covered elsewhere in these hallowed halls........

I extracted this interesting piece of kit from a Chinese toy model. The Lipo is charged up via a USB plug. The unit has an on/off switch and runs for 15 seconds. It can be repeated as long as the Lipo is charged. I replaced the prop with a 'puller'. The thrust is excellent - much better than a capacitor model as it has 1 volt more.

The motor is a 720. I fly a Depron RC profile model Spitfire with a 720, so I am building another for free flight with this unit.

The model cost around €3. What would the timer unit cost as a dedicated modelling accessory? Ten times the price? Amazing!

Chris P
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2021, 07:07:35 AM »

Hello Chris,

can you give us some more details about that model with timer, LiPo and wings? For € 3,00 I gladly buy some to use the timer in duration models.
Maybe a link to find it immediately.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2021, 02:47:52 PM »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001659525906.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3c667fd1ywB3vj&algo_pvid=b3b594c0-96de-4b66-afb4-bb935ff453d1&algo_expid=b3b594c0-96de-4b66-afb4-bb935ff453d1-32&btsid=2100bddd16180803410004095e42fb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Hi Urs

Hope this works !

Just amazing for the price. And the quality of the printed circuit with components is really good. I bought four! AliExpress sends from France, Italy & Spain, which avoids any customs issues (EU). So I suggest you look for a sympathetic warehouse.

The 4 boxes were in a simple envelope and a bit bashed about (typical AliExpress), but as I was only interested in the power unit it didn't really matter. The first one I opened was in a transparent envelope. I pressed the start button and it started to hack apart the foam parts of the model! Very impressive!

Chris P
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 03:21:37 PM by sx976 » Logged
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2021, 04:32:20 PM »

Thanks Chris,

I have just ordered some toy airplanes from France   Grin
I will use the timer as first choice, the rest later.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
sx976
Silver Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2021, 06:10:05 AM »

Thanks Chris,

I have just ordered some toy airplanes from France   Grin
I will use the timer as first choice, the rest later.

Urs

You're very welcome Urs

Yes, I ordered mine from France too.

Please show us what you do with the timer!

Chris P
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: