Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 08, 2021, 04:19:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Capacitor powered electric vs. rubber.  (Read 2729 times)
sx976
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2021, 02:12:06 AM »

Hi George

My problem with the switch is a different one. They are not very strong mechanically and I have torn off the slide button a few times and had to replace the switch. The switch is tiny, only 6mm long.

On one of my bigger models I tried an 'end stop' lever switch (also shown). Hold down while charging, release to fly. It worked brilliantly, but as I tend to build small models for indoor flying, it's too big for them.

The jack plug solution on the Chinese Module works reliably as you are using a straight pull to remove the jack plug. I have just finished an indoor profile Junkers Ju 288 and am using a Chinese Module with remote capacitor and twin 615 motors. Not flown yet due to Covid restrictions in our sports hall, but I'm happy with the technical solution.

Once I did try charging the capacitor when connected to the motor, but that really doesn't work. The good thing about rubber powered in this instance - you don't need a switch!

Chris P
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Capacitor powered electric vs. rubber.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 02:41:56 AM by sx976 » Logged
Robmoff
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2021, 02:56:50 AM »

I fly an all Depron Tomboyish type FF indoor model.
Span is 16 inches, weight 19g with undercarriage which I usually leave off, motor run hot for 20sec + cruise for 30 sec and the prop is still turning at 3 minutes if charged to 3.2v, prop from Kyosho RTF Citabria, but the motor/gearbox would swing something a bit bigger but not for as long!
The motor is unplugged for charging, There used to be a DIL switch on the board, but the prop would catch my fingers when switching on, be in not doubt this WILL cut you. I could save weight now that I am using a plug by using less Vero board, and if you used just the one plug/socket for charging and the motor you may save even more.
The charger uses a 18650 lithium cell and sits in a holder and has the inrush resistor in the circuit so the plane does not need to carry that around. I would not like to be without the voltmeter on the charger. I know that it is not the most accurate in absolute terms, but it does tell me when I've charged it enough to get stuck in the rafters.

Rob
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2021, 04:03:06 AM »

The switch issues were one of the reasons to consider adding a Peterborough timer - with or without George's VR circuit. You can then charge the supercap and use a tiny momentary switch as a push button start for the motor. If you don't want to use it as a timer you could set it for a time a little longer than the supercap run.
sx976
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2021, 07:09:56 AM »

Thanks Jon.

That's an interesting suggestion! What I already had on my to do list was to bench test the Chinese timer I showed in Post #59 with a capacitor, just to see if it would work at the lower voltage. Curiosity more than anything.

Chris P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: