Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 09:31:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2020 BMFA May Nationals  (Read 1778 times)
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »

This does all seem to be a terrible loss of perspective between the tech committees. My total guess is that perhaps the FFTC wants the STC to contribute to the overhead running costs of the Nats, not just take entries. Grown-ups should be able to sort it out.

Don
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »

On the opening page of the BFFA website it says,

We are a respected organisation and can move forward into the future with confidence to promote and protect the sport of model flying in the UK.
OUR MOTTO IS: "UNITED WE ACHIEVE"

So, no need to worry; it's right there in the motto: the BMFA, including the STC and FFTC, are united for the benefit of all of us.

All the same, just to be sure, I will send now my views to Ian Pallister as Bill suggests.
kkphantom
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »

Cancelling competitions for the sake of a few quid doesn't sound much like promoting or protecting anything to me...
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »

I am completely lost.  FF scale events will not happen at the FF Nationals in May. Apparently because the fees are set by the FFTC and are considered too high.  For how long has it been known what those fees would be?  Do we know for sure what they are.  Have the STC made the decision to withdraw without consultation with the people who would  pay the fees whatever they may be?

SAM 35 run events at the May Nationals.  What is their position?  Or are they doing their own thing this year?

I am not aware of any animosity between the FFTC and the STC hitherto - am I naive?  I don’t believe that either Nationals, May and August make huge profits so is this not an unwise move?  More bums on seats etc?  I like going to the FF Nationals as a non competitor but have to confess that without the scale events I doubt I shall go.  Not enough pull frankly. 

Is this in fact members of two committees throwing their toys out of the pram in order to score points off each other?  I do find that hard to believe!

I cannot see how what Ian Pallister can do as he does not have the power of  veto.
cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 05:08:17 PM »

David, From this year's AGM the accounts show that, in 2018, the FF Nats made a profit of £1807 but the Radio Nats made a loss of £9850.
Ron
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »

David, From this year's AGM the accounts show that, in 2018, the FF Nats made a profit of £1807 but the Radio Nats made a loss of £9850.
It makes sense that the August Nats is much more susceptible to bad weather affecting spectators, while May is pre-entry with none of the mega-infrastructure.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 05:32:00 PM »

Thank you Ron.  I presume there is no reason to suppose that for 2019 the returns will be any better.  It does seem though that one might expect the reverse of profits to occur as the FF Nats is far less well attended than the August Nats.  But I assume it can be readily explained.  Nonetheless there  seems no reason to turn down the opportunity of income in May?

I hope this is soon dealt with.  Otherwise it could fester.  However most members  I believe join for the insurance and so probably won’t give a hoot about what appear to be inter committee squabbles.  It does not though help the idea of encouraging FF scale competition.   Time for banging heads together perhaps?

Then perhaps Bill it is time to look at the August Nats and tone down the crowd appeal and make it more solely for competition.  After all if no profit is generated is there any merit in it being subsidised out of funds we can’t really spare?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »

It makes sense that the August Nats is much more susceptible to bad weather affecting spectators, while May is pre-entry with none of the mega-infrastructure.
On the other hand, the August nats was an absolute scorcher in 2018 wasn't it? Or have I remembered that wrong?
kkphantom
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2020, 05:40:37 AM »

I feel a bit stupid now, building the General Aristocrat specifically for the nats kit scale event. Might as well scrap it....
Gary
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2020, 05:49:33 AM »

They’ll be other kit scale events Gary don’t loose heart
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2020, 05:59:09 AM »

Yes, this situation is an abberation, and the wobbly red line tells me I can't spell aberation, or aberration. Yes! aberration; that's what it is.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2020, 06:07:16 AM »

I feel a bit stupid now, building the General Aristocrat specifically for the nats kit scale event. Might as well scrap it....
Gary

It's far too good to do that to it Gary! ..... and even if it wasn't .... just no!  Smiley
kkphantom
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2020, 06:07:39 AM »

..too late...it's in the bin. I wouldn't be so sure about other events, if the STC are prepared to can the biggest kit scale comp of the year, they'll have no problem whatsoever binning 'lesser' competitions.
For me, building a scale model is a quite major undertaking of time and effort and because I live on a narrowboat every model has to be worth the storage space it takes up.
I'm out, before I get too involved in a 'proper' scale model and waste even more time on something that can be regarded as folly by someone on a committee.
Compared to the hundreds of pounds it would have cost me to get to the nationals a few quid entry fee is    a drop in the ocean.
Gary
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2020, 04:05:15 AM »

So, do we know yet why this has occurred?  It does not make sense as it stands and if it was a case of the fee should not that have been put out for acceptance or rejection to at least some of those likely to enter. That is say the regulars.

I have asked a couple of people who serve on the committees and so far have received no comment.  All rather mysterious.   But with the usual fortitude I guess it will be resolved eventually.  Ironically having finally got myself a little more organised I had begun to prepare for entering the KS (VMC Tiggie) and the AM/MA plans. 

I think too by talking to others the credibility of the BMFA may take a knock but it is of course easier to bar the critic than the artist.  So an account by the Committees might be a good idea.  Or am I living in the past when different values were the norm.
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2020, 03:31:11 PM »

Emails? What emails? I opted in to receiving emails about Scale FF when the whole rules thing happened and the last I received was 24/12/2019 regarding the peanut rules (and I've checked the spam folder)... I would ask the question that if a simple thing like an email list of interested people can't be maintained, what hope is there for Scale FF competition, but with the dismissive attitude to questions I've asked regarding the rules previously, I won't.

I don't have time now to do any building this year as a result of work, but I was going to enter as many comps as I could with my battered and untrimmed fleet to show support. But if things are cancelled or opinions of only the few are sought, what's the point? And the fact that this is all hush hush on the committee level? The beginning of the end has arrived I'm afraid.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2020, 03:45:27 PM »

Monz I really hope it is not and as Bill put it, just and abberation , aberation  oh rats I can't spell it now either

kkphantom
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »

Who are the STC anyway? I, like Monz, opted for email notifications and have heard nothing. I'm struggling to even find the names of anyone on the committee.
Gary
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »

May I refer you all back to #23
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2020, 04:09:51 PM »

Who are the STC anyway? I, like Monz, opted for email notifications and have heard nothing. I'm struggling to even find the names of anyone on the committee.
Gary
https://scale.bmfa.org/stc-members
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2020, 04:28:18 PM »

But would it not have been appropriate for there to have been a disclosure by both committees by now.  A significant event has been deleted from the calendar.

I assume that as the decision has been made they have the authority.  I cannot see Ian or say Council turning it over because that would cause considerable disruption - and there has been a silence from Ian and others anyway. 

kkphantom
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2020, 04:31:42 PM »

I've tried emailing all members of the STC and every one bounced back saying 'there was a problem'.
Gary
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2020, 05:22:18 AM »

I find that extra ordinary - absolutely no chance you got something wrong?

kkphantom
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2020, 05:29:15 AM »

...nope. I just tried again and same response...

"There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again later."
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2020, 05:36:04 AM »

Try the FFTC....

https://freeflight.bmfa.org/organisation

After all it is they who stand accused is it not?
kkphantom
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2020, 02:58:59 PM »

Just spent an enlightening two hours on the phone with Mike Woodhouse from the FFTC. Now that I know what has transpired, I'm absolutely blown away by the actions of those that are responsible for the current situation.....shakes head in disbelief.....
Gary
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: