Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 29, 2020, 01:16:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nassise P-51B  (Read 1011 times)
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2020, 03:03:11 PM »

Building Mike Nassise's P-51B as a peanut. This is a new and improved attempt as my first one was lost on a flyaway. I've learned a few things since then, thus the 'new and improved'. Brought the wingtips up to the cockpit as the first one suffered from spiral instability (too large a rudder/ insufficient dihedral). It flew away when I removed the rudder to compensate. Made a removable wing thats held on with one 2-56 nylon screw for adjustments, as well as wire hinged rudder and elevators for removal or adjustment. Adding more detail. Vance scolded me at Geneseo about leaving lots of details off the first one. I'll use a better prop, the Delta Dart prop didn't hack it. I'll also gussey it up with some new finishing techniques. But don't ask about its weight.

Ara
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Nassise P-51B
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:30:34 PM »

Beautiful model Ara.  How about a few more pics?

Don
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 10:22:54 PM »

Nice workmanship there Ara.I agree with Don - do you have any more pics?

Will this one have a DT?

Happy flying.

John
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 07:34:24 PM »

Don, John

Thanks.

The picture is of the lost P-51B. The new one will be an exact copy but with a more finessed front intake and other details. Not sure if I want to keep the belly scoop in blue foam or make one in balsa for durability. The nylon screw holding the removable wing on is seen on the leading edge of the center section. The tab at the rear of the center section holds it in the fuselage.

I'll post more photos as I proceed.

Ara
Re: Nassise P-51B
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »

It seems a little unusual to see a removeable wing on a peanut - but it looks neat.

John
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »

John,

The idea for a removable wing is that I never get it right the first time. My Guillow Spitfires removable wing enabled me to make two crash repairs, a trailing edge replacement and an incidence change to get it flying properly.

Ara
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »

Thanks Ara - does it come with much of a weight penalty? Obviously you've found it is worth it anyway. It must give you more scope for setting the model up and possibly enables you to get the down thrust/wing/tail settings to a more optimum level - particularly if using more power.

Happy building and flying

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 09:07:26 PM »

Thank you for the additional pics Ara.  Do you use a nut for the nylon screw, or do you thread into a crazy glue hardened threaded hole?  Also, very nice Spit!
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 11:43:32 PM »

Do you use a nut for the nylon screw, or do you thread into a crazy glue hardened threaded hole? 

A hard balsa crazy glue threaded hole.
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 10:57:00 PM »

Miraculously managed to carve 3D scale front and belly scoops for the P-51B. The blue foam belly scoop, stiffened with foam compatable Ca will work, only it came in at a hefty .19g and will still need a light coat of paint. Both took some sculpting with a wicked sharp (that's how we talk up here in Maine) scalpel blade to get an acceptable result.

Ara
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 11:13:46 PM »

Neat!

John
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 11:09:05 AM »

Trying for some 'Bling' on this project so I worked on getting a more accurate and scale exhaust set up. I'm not concerned about adding weight because it will be sporting a lump of clay in the nose for ballast. This one assembly will come in at about .06 grams after I'm done trimming the excess tubes on the back side.

Ara
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »

Correction: The exhaust assembly weighs in at .23 grams. (Is there a way to modify your replys after they've been posted?)

Ara
Rhys
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 10:07:18 PM »

Sure. Go to the cell where you want to change. There should be a tab in the upper right corner that says "Modify" Click that, make the correction and then click on save.

By the way........that's one marvelous pony you have there! Great work.

Rhys
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 11:03:10 PM »

"Modify" is a limited time offer Grin    After a couple hours (or so), the ability to edit disappears.  Can't delete the post either.
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »

Spent the last two weeks trying to reinvent the wheel and all I've got is what's pictured below. I tried for a sprayed on look with the markings and ended up with clear Esaki sprayed white and run through the printer for the blue field on the insignia. Printed numbers looked flat and dead so I made black Esaki blacker with 80% flat/20% gloss model paint and clear Esaki sprayed gloss yellow as the background. The printer ink didn't do well over the gloss yellow so the numbers had to be cut out, pasted onto the yellow and cut out again. Haven't decided how to stick them on.

The cockpit was dressed up a bit with a blue foam radio and gun sight.

The plunge molded canopy is the sixth try so far and I haven't come up with one I like yet.

Rhys and Indoor flyer - Thanks for the editing help but I don't know what or where, 'the cell you want to change' is. Looked everywhere and came up empty.

Rhys - Thanks for the compliment.

Ara
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »

Beautiful little bird, Ara. How did you make that narrow wing fillet all the way from leading edge to trailing edge and what is it made of?

I don't know your method of plunge forming but I never had much luck with the technique of pushing a mold through a hole. I found that attaching a wooden stick (hand holds) along 2 opposite sides of a square piece of acetate, heating it, and wrapping it down and around a mold on a stick worked a lot better for me. I think it is the control your hands have in wrapping it down and around that give the results. It still requires a generous sheet of acetate and it is just my method and not necessarily the best, I am sure.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 11:55:42 AM »

Quote from: Ara Dedekian
The plunge molded canopy is the sixth try so far and I haven't come up with one I like yet.
If it's any consolation it took me half a dozen goes to get an acceptable canopy for my Ju87 and it was definitely a case of, "acceptable" rather than anything better.  Keep trying because the rest of it is lovely piece of work and deserves a good canopy.
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »

TheLurker

I finally got my 'sort-of-OK canopy by moving down to .008" acetate from a chocolate box top. I was too weary to keep on
         trying.

Hello Tom

The fillet is made of balsa in two pieces. The leading edge portion is a short piece whose bottom is cut to match the shape of the leading
         edge and the second piece is cut to the curve of the airfoil back to the trailing edge. The joined pieces are then cut to the proper height to match
         the airfoil and hollowed out with a dowel with sandpaper glued on.

Began applying the markings and insignias with spray adhesive. Inking panel lines and weathering next.

Ara
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »

Quote from: Ara Dedekian
I finally got my 'sort-of-OK canopy by moving down to .008" acetate...
It looks an awful lot better than, "sort of OK" to me and the whole looks very, very nice indeed.

Lurk.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 135

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 04:47:36 PM »

Ara I'm with Lurk on this. Great craftsmanship here! Did you mention how you got the silver finish?

The Threadkiller!
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2020, 06:34:54 PM »

Very, very nice indeed. Smiley
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 04:40:21 PM »

A few details to add but I'm done for now. Flight test indoors in a few days. The silver color was pretty straightforward; one light coat of Model Master Aluminium applied over clear Esaki with a Paache spray gun.

The weight is a bit frightening, 15.7 grams without rubber or ballast.

Ara
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »

Added the final details and weathering.

Some years back I spent time with the plastic modelers and ever since have been possesed to make my models look like plastic models.
  Their finishing and weathering techniques were astounding and the same chalk used to color Esaki can be used to highlight hatches, panel
  lines etc. as they do with washes of paint.

The previously reported 15.8g without rubber isn't so bad after all. That comes out to ~.48g/sq.in. wing loading and with a judicious
  amount of rubber can be kept in the .5g/sq.in. range. With a 1.2g loop of 3/16 rubber and 50 turns it flew a short but nicely stable test hop.
  With the peg in it's current position, it didn't require any ballast.

Ara
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »