Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2020, 07:54:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mini heat sealing irons  (Read 256 times)
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:17:03 AM »

Hi

Not sure if this has been covered before but has anyone got any experience of mini heat sealing guns.  I've got the regular Prolux electronic temp controlled one but even with its tip it can be a bit tricky to get into tight corners.

I was thinking of something like the Cliver mini iron:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clover-CL8004GB-Mini-Iron-1/dp/B002QW9URO

That ones a bit pricey but you get the idea.  Would be for say 5 to 10micron mylar.
They seem quite popular for upholstery.  Not sure if iron stars like this would be hot enough or too hot for attaching mylar.

Anyone used anything like this.

Cheers

Mike

PS oh for the days of melting solarfilm all over mams regular ironing iron. 

Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:00:05 AM »

I'm not sure that the 'two heat settings' would be suitable. But if they are then these are brilliant tools for UMX sized planes, so if it were a tenner I would take a punt. There are loads on offer, look under heated spatulas on google, artists and conservationist use them. There is a nice digitally controlled one https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Equipment-Tools/Instruments-Meters/Tacking-Iron-complete-with-tip-220-240-voltage-P805-6910 with a variety of tips on what looks very much like an Antex 15W soldering iron body, and a temperature controller for £450, should be perfect for the job.
About 10 years ago I scored a 12v mini heated spatula with variable heat settings of ebay, maiden bid, real cheap. I use it all the time for soliite, airspan all sorts, even in the tight places on larger models, and for patching. Could not manage without it. Never seen another one like it anywhere, and I just looked for you!   
It should be possible to modify some Antex tips and control the tip temperature by having a variable length between the iron and working surface. Who's up for that?

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 11:18:10 AM »

Hello

Thanks ... yeah ... I googled a gazillion of them but just thought I'd ask in case it was as easy as ... 'oh yeah, we all use this one'.

Indeed, spoilt for choice so I might give it a punt of one of the £10-20 ones.  If too hot I'm sure I'd be able to knock up some kind of variable power supply no matter how dangerous Smiley

Cheers

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: