Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2020, 07:03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Embryo Rubber Sizes  (Read 348 times)
Thurman
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:53:17 PM »

Hello Embreos,

Started my first Embreo but can't find how much rubber to use.  I have been told that many use one loop of 1/8 braided.  The only other references use odd sizes of rubber strip.  Is there a formula for rubber weight based on model weight?  My first attempt is an outdoor design with a weight of 18 grams (without rubber), 7 inch prop and a motor length of 15 inches.  Any guidance appreciated!

Thanks, Thurman
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:47:07 PM »

I expect that's fairly close. You might need a little more.

Rubber that's a quarter of the weight of the rest of the model is a good starting point, though my guess is you could get away with more. However, the width of the rubber is important, too. You need enough torque to cope with the weight of the model and rubber. So a short loop can be thinner than a long loop.

I haven't specifically flown embryos, though I've flown other stick and tissue models.
Thurman
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 06:22:02 PM »

Thanks Lincolin,

I am going to try a loop of 1/8 and braid in a loop of 1/16 th.  Go from there.  The field at Palm bay will have experienced builders this coming Tuesday and will ask for help.

Thurman
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:06:35 PM »

1/8+1/16 sounds good to me.  I was going to say a loop of 3/16 for a model of that size and weight with a 7" prop - which is what you've said.

--george

Lee from Chitown
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »

Is there a noticeable difference between using a 3/16” strip versus strips of 1/8 and 1/16 of the same length together? Would having different lengths of 1/8 and 1/16 be of any benefit?
ILM Tarheel
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 01:37:03 PM »

Lee, Motors made from a strip of 3/16, or a strip of 1/8 + a strip of 1/16, or 3 strips of 1/16 all have the same rubber "cross section" and for all practical purposes are the same. I've always made all strips (loops) the same length.
Jimmy J
Lee from Chitown
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 04:31:18 PM »

Thanks, Tarheel. You saved me mixing potions.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 10:38:43 PM »

Thurman do you have the name of the Embryo model you are trying to get to fly? Maybe if we knew what you are trying to fly we might be able to give specific information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: