Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2020, 09:07:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: adjustable nose block  (Read 277 times)
Jim Jorgensen
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2020, 04:47:45 PM »

I got tired of trying to trim my new bostonian with 1/64th shims and came up with an adjustable nose block using a dubro hinge. The hinge has a natural pinch point so when held flat it naturally wants to expand, which can be controlled with a couple of small screws. I am going to try and post some pics to better explain how it works. With the screws tightened down there is no side thrust. Loosed the screws and the side thrust increases. My bostonian is set up to adjust from 0 to about 10 degrees of right thrust. Turn it around 180 degrees and you can adjust from 0 to about ten degrees of left thrust. You can then shim for downthrust if necessary. Maybe someone else has already come up with the same idea. If not, it looks promising to me.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
adjustable nose block
adjustable nose block
adjustable nose block
adjustable nose block
adjustable nose block
adjustable nose block
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 05:04:44 PM by Jim Jorgensen » Logged
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 09:30:52 AM »

Jim

I've been trying to come up with a hinged noseblock adjusted and set with a screw but never considered an internal arrangement as yours appears to be. It's to be covered with a cowl?

Only got as far as a DuBro hinge swinging the entire noseblock/shaft with a jackscrew setting the adjustment. The hinge barrel would have to be protruding out the side or flush with the cowl with the screw on the opposite side. I'm thinking of its use on a scale ship where it wouldn't be seen so I may have to adjust my thinking to swinging the shaft/nosebutton only as per your setup. I'll be waiting to see how well your system works.

Ara

strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 12:57:50 PM »

Your Dubro hinge gave me an idea.  Maybe this has already been done before?  I think it may be a good solution for some instances.

We have a front and rear disk made of ply or other stiff material.  We have a middle disk made of some flexible foam that could be polypropylene or other flexible foam that always rebounds after being compressed.  The four holes are for adjustment screws that screw into the rear disk.  They are for up, left right and down thrust.  The thrust button is glued into the front disk but left loose in the hole of the other two disks. Initially the screws are tightened to a tension that opposes the highest force of the rubber band.  Then individual screws are tightened to adjust thrust angle as needed.  If extra thrust angle is needed, use thicker foam for the middle disk.  Adjustments can be made from the front.  If you use Allen screws this can be a quick and simple task to do while trimming.  For scale appearance you may have to work out some sort of cover.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: adjustable nose block
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: