Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 27, 2020, 02:16:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tiger Moth 17.5 Inch Rubber Power Free Flight Laser Cut Dumas Kit 208  (Read 1356 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »

TIGER MOTH 17.5 INCH     LASER CUT   DUMAS KIT 208   SCALE   1:20

TOP LEFT WING AND CENTER SECTION TEST FITTING AND SANDING WITH THE WINGTIP RAISED

More progress ...

Pic #1     4734     This is the test fit,  with the wingtip raised  3/4",  of the top left wing,  to the center section.   One of the Ribs R3, is fitted into position.    On the underside of the rear capstrip of Rib R3,  I sanded a little angle to the vertical portion,  to fit the curve of the trailing edge wing root,  and  'Voila',   an easy full flush fit to these nicely laser cut parts.

Pic #2     4738     Test fit is complete, with just the right length of extention of the Center Section spar,  about two mm just past the two sandwiched ribs.      I also sanded a slight edge on the root face of the leading edge, and also a small angle on the trailing edge root curve,  both to match the angle and the butt join, with the Center Section,  because the wing was raised for the dihedral.
      The wing spar ends, and the wing Center Section spar ends,  also needed a small bevel on the bottom of these ends,  to match the bend of the dihedral, and not stick out past the bottom of the wing.

Pic #3     4743 Custom     Rib R3 is removed, and you can see the bevels  on the spar bottoms. 
Pic #4     4343  SNIP     Close up of the bevels.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Tiger Moth 17.5 Inch Rubber Power Free Flight Laser Cut Dumas Kit 208

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 12:01:52 PM »

TIGER MOTH  17.5 INCH     LASER CUT   DUMAS KIT 208   SCALE   1:20

TOP WING

The top wing is framed up.   I will finish up sanding the leading edges before gluing the wing panels to the wing center section.

Pic #1     4849     Mandrake and Bloodroot work on the right wing panel.

Pic #2     4851     Just A2 and Rib R2 left to glue.

Pic #3     4857     Almost done.  The wing panel root ribs  R3  , are not glued in place yet - waiting to add the dihedral first.

Pic #4     Tiger Moth Art

Pic #5     Tiger Moth Painting

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2020, 05:39:41 PM »

TOP WING

Pic #1     4935     Here is the top wing test fit.   I started sanding off the laser cut burns -  it won't take long - better than looking at them ...   The two root ribs  R3  are glued after raising the wing panels for the  3/4" dihedral on each outer wing panel.

Pic #2     4937     The panels are now raised to  3/4",  and the root ribs are fitted  (small bevel angle on the vertical cut, of the rear rib capstrip,  nice and flush to the front face of the root trailing edge).

Pic #3     4939     While the wing is blocked up,  Mandrake and Bloodroot fit the top wing spars.

Pic #4     4945     M and B get busy final sanding the framework.

Pic #5     4943     The top spars are fitted and labelled (there is a bevel at the spar root butt end,  because of the swept wings).   Because I sanded the burn marks off of the tops of the ribs,  I then had to sand the bottom of the top wing  spars,  for a better fit.

Pic #6     4946     All visible laser burns are sanded and all is test fitted.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »

TIGER MOTH  17.5 INCH     LASER CUT   DUMAS KIT 208   SCALE   1:20

TOP WING  PREP FOR TISSUE COVERING

There are a couple of difficult areas for me to tissue up, with out the ghastly wrinkles,  unless I try to build in good tissue anchors made of balsa wood.   I plan to glue the opaque colored tissue as is,  (no painting),  to the tops and bottoms of all the ribs.   The outer wingtips are going to be hard to tissue cover without wrinkles,  and the trailing edge wing root bay is going to be hard to cover also.

Pic #1     4947  and    Pic #2     4948     I made sure that this beveled edge,  on the back top of part A2 root trailing edge -  see arrow  -  I made sure this beveled edge is beveled all the way up to the back of the R3 rib,  in order for me to have a proper balsa "tissue anchor" on the bevel "flat".    Compare to the left side A2 part not done yet.

Pic #3     4952     Now both sides have the bevel completed.   The tissue can now be glued only to the bevel on A2,   and then transition and make its way up to the top of Rib R3.   We will see if this works.   Especially if you want to tissue up the wing panels separately from the center section "fuel tank",   as in different colored tissue for the wings and tank.     Tissue everything up first,  and then glue up the spars and root rib faces.

Since I decided to sand off the laser burns on the ribs, sure enough now,  the upper wing spar sits too high,  in its laser cut notches,  above the ribs now.    So I had to swipe the bottom of the spar a few swipes, and check the fit.   Now it is even.   There is nothing worse than trying to sand down a raised spar,   that is already glued in place.
     I also decided to tissue up the Center Section, and the two wing panels,  separately,  and then glue them all together later.

Pic #4     4953     Here the 3/4"  dihedral is set up.   The root rib R3, is in place next to the Center Section Rib,  and test fitted.   The upper spar is ready to glue to the root rib only,  along with the Leading Edge,  Trailing Edge,  and bottom Spar.  I am trying not to glue it to the Center Section.   

Pic #5     4954     Here it's all tested for flush fit on the top spar with the ribs.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »

TOP WING  PREP FOR TISSUE COVERING

WINGTIP TISSUE SUPPORTS

I also worked on putting a small balsa tissue suport piece for each wingtip.    Hopefully,  this will allow me to tissue cover the wingtips in one piece of tissue.

Pic #1     4955     In the upper left wingtip,  is one of the "oversize" balsa tissue supports (little end rib).   The three other ones (two per wing), are sitting just above.

Pic #2     4957     Here is a view of the fit from the other side.    The upper spar only goes half way through the notch in the outer Rib R1.   The empty half of the notch will suport the notch fit of the balsa support piece.

Pic #3     4970     The two tissue suports are glued in place,  after lining them up straight to the spar.

Pic #4     4971     Right wing upper spar is "butt" fitted to exact length,  up against the little end rib support.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »

TIGER MOTH 17.5 INCH     LASER CUT   DUMAS KIT 208   SCALE   1:20

TOP WING  DIHEDRAL ROOT RIB SETTING

Pic #1     4958     Now we are set up to glue the left wing to the root rib (sitting up against, but not glued to yet, the center section rib),  after the test fit indeed showed,  the top spar to be sitting flush to, and butted up against,  the center section rib.

Pic #2     4961     Here I put in a piece of waxed paper, to prevent the center section from being glued.

Pic #3     4962     Now it is all glued up,  pinned down,  and the wing's root rib, now glued at the proper dihedral, is setting in place and drying.

Pic #4     4966     Here is the result.   
Pic #5     4967    View on the other side.

Pic #6     4968     I bushed in a little bit of hot water, onto a couple of spots, and it came right apart,  now with the dihedral set.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 05:04:15 PM »

TOP RIGHT WING      DIHEDRAL ROOT RIB SETTING

Pic #1     4969     And the test fit of the left top wing to the center section.

TOP RIGHT WING

Pic #2     4973     The right wing tip, tissue anchor, is final sanded and the top spar fitted and sanded even.

Pic #3     4975     Mandrake and Bloodroot jig up the Center Section and the Left Wing.

Pic #4     4976     After testing the fit of the right wing top spar,  it is glued up and pinned down.

Pic #5     4974     Drying overnight.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 07:54:33 PM »

TIGER MOTH 17.5 INCH    LASER CUT   DUMAS KIT 208   SCALE   1:20

And more progress ...

Pic #1     4985     After drying, the right wing is set up the same way as the left wing was set up.

Pic #2     4988     Everything was lined up.   Now it is drying with the waxed paper in place.

Pic #3     4991     The dried Right wing is pulled off of the building board.   The waxed paper is still there ...   It came off quite easily also.

Pic #4     4993     Top wing almost complete, and test fitted.

Pic #5     4995     Mandrake and Bloodroot have completed the final sanding.   Mandrake clenches fist ...

Pic #6     5011     Underside of the top wing.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2020, 04:51:52 AM »

Pic #1     5104     Here is the progress so far,  with the top  wing final sanded,  and parts left to assemble.

Pic #2     5106     This pic shows the three skinny R4A rib parts that are glued to the underside of the center section (fuel tank),  after the wing is glued together.    It also shows the two A4 parts,  which form the Cabane strut tip pockets,  that are also glued on to the bottom of the center section, after the skinny R4A ribs are glued on.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

bsadonkill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2020, 12:30:43 PM »

Looks like your doing a good job. Well thought out steps to assemble your model.  Smiley   
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2020, 02:36:22 PM »

Hi Don!  Nice to hear from you.   Are you getting any flying in ?    I am hoping to get this Bipe to fly as per the plan,  with what appears to be  3 degrees on the top wing,  1 degree on the bottom wing,  zero degrees on the stab,  and no "bult in" downthrust.

Pic #1     5117     3  DEGREES AND  1  DEGREE
Pic #2     5116      PLAN    

BOTTOM WING

Mandrake and Bloodroot had argued for sanding off the laser burn marks down to white balsa,  since the colored covering tissue will be translucent.

Pic #3     5109     Overnight,  Mandrake and Bloodroot worked on lightly sanding the laser burns off of the top of the remaining, Bottom Wing  R1 ribs, late into the morning.

Pic #4     5113     Today,  they have organized the other parts and spars and leading edges.   Here they are lightly sanding off the laser burn marks, off of the top of Rib R6,  using  320 grit sandpaper pinned to a balsa stick.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:55:24 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2020, 12:29:18 AM »

What colour scheme and coveringbare you going for
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 12:47:33 PM »

Hi Mick66.   As far as the color scheme goes,  I think I have seen a whole lot of great, scale yellow Tiger Moths, already completed.   So I might just consider a lot of other color schemes and make up my own, while taking the some of their patterns and colors into account.   The color of the scheme must match the logos somewhat, so I might try to make my own logos.
     Actually,  I think I am going to start with a logo that I like first,  then try to match a good color scheme around it.     Suitable logos to choose from are the obvious Tiger and Gypsy Moth,  and maybe consider a real DeHavilland Logo too, or my idea of a DeHavilland logo.   My preference would be for a realistic looking Tiger, or a realistic looking Tiger Moth -  two of the underside view of the "flying" (wings forward) moth (for the under side view of the bottom wings),  and  two of the above side view of the "flying" (wings forward) moth (for the top of the wings).
      I found two suitably detailed images, but they are of the wrong moth -  the African Death Head Moth - which would probably look good on a yellow plane,  with the Death Head Moth logos being black and yellow mostly.

Pic #1     AFRICAN DEATH HEAD MOTH  UPPERSIDE   
Pic #2     AFRICAN DEATH HEAD MOTH UNDERSIDE 
Pic #3     DEHAVILLAND MOTH LOGO INSIGNIA  2 
Pic #4     LOGO INSIGNIA  GYPSY MOTH 
Pic #5     YELLOW MOTH SKULL
Pic #6     TIGER LOGO

I am finding it very hard to find images of the Tiger Moth as in the first two "flying" (wings forward) moth pics above.   It seems that so many images are already bought up and copyrighted,  that all of the good images are sadly   Sad  ,  already taken.   Maybe I am not entering the proper search term and words,  which is a whole other skillset to learn with these computers nowadays ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2020, 10:01:01 PM »

It was unbearably hot,  and too humid,   85 Deg F (feels like 100 deg F) and 75% humidity,   to stand in the blazing heat of the open Cricket Field,  so that is my excuse for not flying,  plus it is hard enough just walking the dog three times a day in this heat wave.    But I am really enjoying relaxing in the air conditioning,  and watching all the other flight pics and flight videos being posted - great inspiration ...

Pic #1     5176     The Cricket Field is a sheet of baking,  cut grass.   This is about 110 yards disance from my camera to the Spruces in the middle.   The Cricket players and the Baseball players are still prohibited from playing their ball games in our City's public parks.

BOTTOM WING

I finally got started on the wing Center Section -  I borrowed a tip and tried to get everything braced and squared up properly, in the first place.

Pic #2     5177     Test fit.  The two R6 ribs are fitted snug, by pushing the trailing Edge up,  in turn pushing against the rear cap strip of the rib,  and seating the rib nose butt joint against the leading edge.    Now it is easy to glue,  as the two ribs are now braced on all sides.

Pic #3     5179     Bloodroot double white glues the contact area balsa faces,  and easily slips the ribs in place,  ready to dry overnight.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: