Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 20, 2021, 06:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ministick covering question  (Read 96 times)
semeraro
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2021, 10:13:08 PM »

I am building a biscayne baby ministick. The instructions say to stick non cling wrap to the surface with "artists acrylic varnish". I am not sure what that is. Can someone give me an example of it? Maybe a brand name? Or maybe let me know what you use to cover your ministick and how you attach it. My first attempt was glue stick thinned with alcohol and plastic food wrap like saran wrap. It was a disaster. The plastic wrap stuck to everything except the structure which was destroyed in the process. Maybe these things are too delicate for me.

thanks,
Dave
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »

A popular adhesive is 3M/Scotch Super77. It comes in a spray can. A very light "dusting" on your framework is all you will need.  If you look up Lasercut Planes, or Josh Finn's YouTube channels you can view the covering process, using plastic film and spray adhesive. OS film is available from various indoor suppliers, and is considerably lighter than "saran" type plastic. A readily available covering material is the clear produce bag (on a tear-off roll) from the produce section of your food market. It too, is lighter than the saran type cling film. This is a common material used on (larger)P-18 type indoor models. You can lay the smoothed out plastic on a clean flat surface, and "drop" the structure (with the adhesive already sprayed ) onto it. The OS film is best attached to a "picture frame" type of support, and then lowered onto the model structure. You can then gently press around the perimeter of the structure to get  good adhesion.  

When spraying the adhesive, it is a good idea to set the balsa structure on some sort of stand-off/support, so that you don't stick it to the work surface, and damage it trying to lift it!  A sheet of printer paper folded into pleats works great, and makes it easy to pick up the part after you've sprayed the adhesive.
The Super77 has a good "working time" so there is no need to rush and potentially damage something. Typically, I will get everything set up at the buildingboard, then step outside, or into the garage to spray the glue, then bring it back in to complete the process. A cardboard box makes a nice "spray booth", and a safe way to transport the part back inside to the building area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: