Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 25, 2020, 11:14:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tern Aero Porterfield Collegiate  (Read 229 times)
Jim Jorgensen
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2020, 04:59:37 PM »

I got this kit at last year's club auctions and just recently pulled it out. It has been a real pleasure to build. Really well designed. The only substitution I have made was to cut the stab and rudder out of a foam plate because the 1/32 sheet in the kit was badly warped.  Tissue is from big box store run through an HP printer.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Tern Aero Porterfield Collegiate
Rhys
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:48:12 PM »

Looking very nice. Jim  Grin  I really like your choice of colour scheme. How did you come upon that?  Is the empennage covered with tissue or painted?  Looks to be a great flyer.

Rhys
Jim Jorgensen
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 07:57:02 AM »

Hi Rhys, the empennage is covered in tissue. I googled Porterfield Collegiate and several views of this aircraft came up. I like the simple scheme with straight stripes which was easy to duplicate.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 01:41:30 PM »

Nice Porterfield.  I'm seeing more printed tissue jobs, using HP printers.  I suppose for indoor, you're not having to "seal" the tissue; do you do any shrinking after the covering process?
Rhys
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »

I read a statement from an indoor flyer saying although it's not necessary to seal with dope or other sealant, a light coat does help manage humidity fluctuations from one arena to the next. As I said, only one comment.  Perhaps experienced builders can shed proper light in that direction.

Rhys
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »

The printed tissue looks great (as does the model generally). The white looks whiter than most white tissue too.
Jim Jorgensen
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 05:18:38 PM »

Nice Porterfield.  I'm seeing more printed tissue jobs, using HP printers.  I suppose for indoor, you're not having to "seal" the tissue; do you do any shrinking after the covering process?
In this case the only shrinking was on the fuselage. If it had a built up rudder I would have preshrunk the tissue. I did not shrink the tissue on the wing. All put together it comeS in at 14.1 gr. with no sealer of any kind. Since its indoor, I'm going to try and get away with it. ( I don't know why the photos come out sideways when I post them)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Tern Aero Porterfield Collegiate
Re: Tern Aero Porterfield Collegiate
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:34:36 PM by Jim Jorgensen » Logged
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »

Interesting.  So the HP ink can handle the process---did you use alcohol and/or water on the fuselage? 
Jim Jorgensen
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 06:05:55 PM »

Interesting.  So the HP ink can handle the process---did you use alcohol and/or water on the fuselage? 
My wife thinks it’s gross, but I use saliva on a paint brush lightly applied. I have tried water in an atomizer but if you get too much on the tissue it will leave spots. I have also sealed printed tissue using Design Master clear floral paint
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: