Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 25, 2020, 08:28:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Clint Brooks Boomer MkII P-30  (Read 367 times)
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 242

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:12:11 PM »

I recently received from Dean McGinnes a nice P-30 kit, the Boomer MkII.  He asked me to do a build on this kit like I did with the Baron Knight II I just finished.

The first thing is to post the various things enclosed in the kit box.  Clint has provided what I consider the most complete kit I have ever seen.  It basically includes everything except for the glue, and the dope and thinner.

Not sure how quickly this will go together, but one nice thing is that the fuselage and pylon balsa parts are all built and assembled.  I will just have to add the various hardware and cover it.

Years ago, when I was first starting to learn how to build these balsa models, I attempted the Boomer MkI.  It was an attempt, and I never could get all the little fiddly bits to go where and how they were supposed to.  Hopefully I have learned a lot more, and can now build a kit like this one.

So, here are the pictures of the goodies.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Clint Brooks Boomer MkII P-30

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:36:26 PM »

That's a nice looking P30 project.  I understand that is a very nice kit indeed.  Not sure what the differences are between your MkII and the current MkIII, but there is a nice construction detail booklet  (with pictures) that can be downloaded from the CB website.

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »

Back at it again.  Had been busy doing work on the property while the weather was nice.  Rain is back again.

I managed to remove all the parts from the parts sheets.  There are a lot of them, as Clint has made parts that normally we would make out of normal strip stock.

Not everything is shown in the photo below.  There are a few parts I am still trying to identify.  And the remainder of those not shown are for mounting the D/T system.
Re: Clint Brooks Boomer MkII P-30

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 08:16:16 PM »

Been a while since I last posted.  Been busy again with home renovations and improvements.

I've slowly gotten the wing put together.  As with the last Boomer I attempted to build, this one is also giving me troubles because of the added tabs Clint added to aid in building.  Seems they only confuse me, so I had to remove them, and build as I usually do, with shims, and other ways I have come up with because of my use of the magnetic building board.

Below is a kind of sequence of how everything went together.  Sorry, but my brain forgot a few times I should have snapped a pic, but these give you a general idea of how things went together.  Only have the rear center sopars to add, and then do LE and TE sanding, along with all the required finish and touch up sanding a build requires.

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »

And one last picture

calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 08:47:53 PM »

Caley - Nice work building the wing.

It looks like you didn't build any wash-out into the wing tips.

What do Clint's instructions recommend in this regard?

I would think that your P-30 would benefit from having about 1/8-inch of wash-out in each wing tip. This would help the model maintain lateral stability.

You can use a heat gun and twist the wing to get the wash-out in the frame before you cover it.  It takes two hands to twist each wing tip, so mount the heat gun in a vise.

If you are going to cover the wing with tissue you can add the wash-out after the covering is applied.  Shim the wing tips after you wet the tissue and that should put in the needed warps as the tissue dries and shrinks.

If you are covering the wing with Mylar plastic film you can twist the wing tips while you shrink the film with a heat gun.

Keep up the good work.

Clint's company (CB Model Designs) produces some of the best kits that are commercially available.  His instructions are second to none.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 08:52:37 PM »

Cal,  There actually is 1/8 inch washout in each wingtip.  It's just hard to see. 

Clint's instructions are super, but unfortunately I do not speak the same language as most modelers, so I have difficulty in understanding what is being said in the instructions.  So I tend to just look at the pictures and wing it.

flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:42:26 PM »

Caley, your "winging it" produces some really fine looking wings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: