Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 30, 2020, 12:34:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Battery for Cox 049  (Read 297 times)
Viperkite
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »

I am using a 'D' type battery to start my Cox engines, but they soon go flat. What is the best type to use.
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »

When I used cox engines back in    ( Bloody hell am I that old ) I used a single lead acid cell, I, still got the charger somewhere. BUT use a long lead of fairly thin wire until you get 1.5 volts at the head. If you hit the element with much over 1.5 volts it will glow very bright....but not for long.

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 72

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 01:14:11 PM »

This brings back childhood memories of saving up pocket money for 1.5v flag batteries!
There seems to be a new version of this type of battery available.... but they do not look cheap.
Big G
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 02:25:29 PM »

When I flew 1/2A power with TD's, I used my old speed-engine booster, which was a Hawker 2v cell (as used in burglar-alarms) to which was fitted a simple wire-wound resistor. I still use it when I fly my stunters. Rather surprisingly, I found that TD heads would stand a bit more than 1.5v without blowing, and even more surprisingly I rarely blew one even on 50% nitro.

G
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 03:31:40 PM »

Hi

Use one of these for years ... available from JPerkins (probably mail order from Leeds model shop).  Used this type for years on TD020 all the way up to .90 size glows.

Just use about 7ft of bell wire from B&Q to drop the volts for the TD heads.

Cheers

Mike

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Battery for Cox 049
Viperkite
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:34:53 PM »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »

>>   Leeds model shop   <<

Sherwoods, in Crossgates?         
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 07:24:07 PM »

I wonder if a single nicad or nimh cell would work. I used to use a single sub c nicad in a film canister back when when I used glow engines.
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 02:01:20 AM »

Hi

Yeah ... Crossgates.  It's the only decent model shop in the North of England ... and probably all of Scotland?

It's effectively my local model shop now and I'm in Sunderland.  

It's a JPerkins battery so should be able to get from any decent LMS that still exists.  Inwoods, SMC etc

A quick check on B&Q website ... https://www.diy.com/departments/byron-bell-wire-white-9-m/33899_BQ.prd?ds_rl=1272379&ds_rl=1272409&ds_rl=1272379&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqNPyBRCjARIsAKA-WFySaQY2FCo781KyyjsZn-Flie_C0KJxG_yUZ2Kpmioq1Cp9qUU1rPQaAqR6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It was years ago I bought lead wire from B&Q.  It's multi as opposed to single strand you want.  Start off with say 15" and keep cutting down until you get a healthy glow on the TD head.  You can have shorter leads for regular glow heads.

Cheers

Mike

PS lol ... you'll need a charger too ... obviously from same model shop!  All up it might be slightly more expensive than using some battery you found down the back of the sofa ... but I've used the above for competition flying over long weekends in the cold, wind and rain and always had enough oomfff to start motors.
Viperkite
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 03:09:58 AM »

I wonder if a single nicad or nimh cell would work. I used to use a single sub c nicad in a film canister back when when I used glow engines.
Hi, tried that, but not enough heat to actually fire it. 'D' types work, but not for many attempts before the same problem.
marcin_pl
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Poland Poland

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 06:20:35 AM »

I use two D batteries in parallel. Is such arrangement they live reasonably long, because current is limited.
Craig G
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 04:14:30 PM »

Power panel with a 3S lipo is an inexpensive method and will last days. The glow drivers in panels are manually or auto adjustable also.
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 04:41:23 PM »

I use two D batteries in parallel. Is such arrangement they live reasonably long, because current is limited.

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: