Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 25, 2020, 04:15:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thinner for Nitrate Dope Non-Taughtening  (Read 431 times)
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 242

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 29, 2020, 07:11:37 PM »

I've seemed to run up against the fanatics of AQMD California when it comes to solvents.  Seems the Air Quality people in California are banning just about any solvent you can think of.  So far they are going against the thinners in nail polish, lacquer thinner, acetone, denatured alcohol, and who knows how many other products.

Does anyone know of an alternative to all of these?  I did look at Aircraft Spruce Company, and they do sell Nitrate dope thinner, but it is $75 a gallon, shipped UPS.  Home Depot supposedly sells Acetone and Lacquer thinner at the local store, but it is supposedly banned in California.  I am wondering if the formula is different, and if they are still effective as thinners for Nitrate dope.

I remember that California was trying to ban BBQ charcoal, but not sure they succeeded.  From what I understand, California will be trying to ban sales of gasoline and diesel fuel in a few years, forcing everyone to go electric.  No, I doubt they can do that, but I wouldn't put it past those  in our government to try.

Hopefully the local Home Depot Acetone or lacquer thinner IS usable for thinning dope, and it is still available there.

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Hughs Aircraft
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:57:56 PM »

crashcaley,
Have you considered Krylon spray? It is still available and it works for me.
Hugh
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:53:55 PM »

The Calif Home Depot Klean Strip brand does NOT work with nitrate dope. The automotive Rustoleum might be OK but at the price they ask, you might as well get Randolph nit dope thinner. Heres the Home Depot offering: https://www.homedepot.com/s/lacquer%2520thinner?NCNI-5
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 135

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 11:04:42 PM »

There's always the future floor polish route FWIW. Lacquer makes snot out of dope.

The Threadkiller!
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 04:18:30 AM »

Norm, Thanks for that information.  Yes, might as well shell out the money for the Randolph stuff.  I kind of figured that might be the case.

Crabby,  Yes, I've heard of people using Future.  It probably is good for coating the tissue,but wonder just how good it is at adhering the tissue to the balsa.

I dislike using the Randolph for brush cleaner.  Anyone here in California tell me what I can use to bathe my brushes in to get them clean, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 95

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 06:50:58 AM »

Crash,

I've been using Home Depot lacquer thinner to clean brushes for the last couple of years - it does fine cleaning both butyrate and nitrate from the bristles.  I haven't used it to thin either type of dope, but it does work well to thin enamel and Tamiya acrylic paints for airbrushing onto doped tissue.

Mike
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 135

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »

You can use a glue stick as long as it is the permanent one. It will say “permanent “ right on the label. I do really well with it. I also think Flyguy does too. I never tried Future, but some guys swear by it. What about EZ Dope? Home Depot acetone will clean lacquer out of a brush.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:11:46 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 09:11:02 AM »

Look at ordering quarts instead of a gallon.  That may decrease the shipping cost from Aircraft Spruce.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 12:30:17 PM »

I have an older can of Klean Strip lacquer thinner. It’s not good for thinning dope, but it’s OK for cleaning brushes. In the attachment, the can marked “South Coast” formula, I would be leery of. The quart can is not marked this way and maybe it’s OK for cleaning (but not for thinning!)

The Calif Home Depot Klean Strip brand does NOT work with nitrate dope. The automotive Rustoleum might be OK but at the price they ask, you might as well get Randolph nit dope thinner. Heres the Home Depot offering: https://www.homedepot.com/s/lacquer%2520thinner?NCNI-5
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 01:12:03 PM »

I'll give the Home Depot lacquer thinner a try for brush cleaning.

I am going to order a gallon on the Randolph nitrate thinner.  I probably won't have to get another can before I go ten toes up.  :-)

I  am asking lots of questions so I don't have to waste money on something that won't work.  The reason is as stated before.  I am presently walking or taking a bus where ever I need to go locally because of a woman failing to stop at a red light, and totally not only my car, but another.  I have been saving every penny I can to purchase a replacement, so I don't have a lot of money to waste right now.  Hopefully the vehicle problem will be solved in a couple months.

charlieman
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 11:39:12 AM »

Was just going thru a moving box of model stuff and found a can of Home Depot "Klean Strip" acetone I've been using to thin both nitrate and butyrate dope for quite some time. Seeing the can reminded me that I successfully used the exact same product to thin some very expensive chrome yellow butyratewhich we applied to a 1958 Piper Tripacer restoration. Now while I wouldn't have mixed products on a customer's project,ecnomicsforce me to  do so on my personal aircraft. Fortunately I got awy withit! 
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 12:45:59 PM »

Charlieman, Thanks for your experience with the Home Depot Kleen Strip Acetone.  But earlier in the thread I got the comment that it doesn't work well with nitrate deope.  I'm guessing that the finish on tissue has problems when using this Kleen brand.  This brand used to be good, but California has changed the rules on many solvent products, forcing manufacturers to change formulas, that have consequences the previous renditions didn't have.

I am going to just sltay with Randolph, as apparently that formulation for aircraft dope was not affected by the new California rules.

lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 05:16:55 PM »

I seem to recall a DuPont product sold in auto body shop supply stores that was good for dope thinner. Unfortunately, I don't recall the product number, and the guy who told me about it passed away. I suspect that hardware store lacquer thinner would at least need some retarder added. I usually use Sig thinner.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 05:48:25 PM »

I use Randolf nitrate dope and thinners and have had very good results with almost no blushing in humid conditions. It is normally thinned 50% and for small models it is cut to 70% thinners 30% dope. I have both the normal and non shrink types. I wonder if it has a shelf life and if the cost of life expired product might be less. I get it from a local aviation supplier in gallon containers.
Ricky
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 10:20:45 AM »

I seem to recall a DuPont product sold in auto body shop supply stores that was good for dope thinner. Unfortunately, I don't recall the product number, and the guy who told me about it passed away. I suspect that hardware store lacquer thinner would at least need some retarder added. I usually use Sig thinner.

It was DuPont 3608S Acrylic Lacquer Thinner

Now the brand is CROMAX. Same number.
At the car paint store.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: