Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 12:31:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alternative rubber vintages  (Read 450 times)
Crossup
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2020, 02:17:41 PM »

Can any one recall notable rubber batches to seek when ones pockets wont afford May99 rubber? I will shortly have access to some other vintages but have no idea what is good.  Is Feb99 good? thats one that may be available.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »

3/02 is next best. Then 2/99, 7/97, 10/97, 7/99.
Crossup
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »

Thank you Bill, thats a big help.
I just finished an all balsa version of your carbon LPP, great flying plane. I'm just getting dialed in on the proper size rubber but its looking like a huge step up from A6 in duration for me, I fly in a 45' dome so not a tough venue to trim for.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »

I definitely advise building the carbon version. It's not any more difficult to build and a step up in durability.

Have you downloaded the construction package?

Also, some of the better Tan SS batches are producing good results.
Crossup
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »

Bill. as it turns out I do build carbon planes- F3P to be exact. But we have a local contest with only a few weeks lead time and LPP was an event. Of course I did not have any rectangular CF and did not want to get into splitting and gluing rod so I did balsa. I'll likely order some proper material from CST for another build but for now I'm enjoying learning LPP setup/trimming.

As for rubber, I thought it would be a good idea given the opportunity to get some rubber with a good reputation to eliminate having to rely on mystery SS rubber.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »

8/93 is also a good batch.  I still have a few ounces left from the pound I bought new at the time. 
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »

In addition to what has been said about the vintage rubber, the 6/16 SS has tested reasonably well and been used in competition with encouraging results.  It torques up a bit quicker than 5/99, but can hold the same amount of energy.  The trick to using it is to make a longer motor of the same weight (so essentially use a thinner cross section) in order to get a usable number of turns. 

I have also noticed that many of the pre-2016 SS batches aren't terrible, once.  Meaning you can get one good flight out of them, but then they are toast. 

Also worth noting, all of my data for the pre 2016 rubber is from events that do not specify a maximum rubber weight.  For something like F1D, I would try to find the best vintage I could get my hands on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: