Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 09:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NW Gala, Manchester Velodrome. March 7th 2020.  (Read 457 times)
Tim Horne
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2020, 06:36:29 PM »

The BMFA North West Gala is this coming Saturday March 7th, from 9am to 5pm. I expect most people who can come will already have it on their calendar but just in case anyone in the area might not know, this is a note to let you know that it’s happening. Well worth a visit even if you’re not entering.

I have also started this as a place to post pictures or videos of the event. I will take my camera but as I will be competing I may not have much time for watching, but I will do my best.

Hope to see you there!
Tim Horne
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »

Just back from a very enjoyable days flying at the Velodrome. I will post some pics and video later but right now I need a rest and a cup of tea Smiley.

Highlight for me was getting a qualifying flight with the Douglas World Cruiser. Pete has it on film to prove it.

The low was the turnout which was quite poor. It made it a better day for those of us there as we had fewer people to get in the way of our flying but it would have been nice to have had more.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 04:06:14 PM »

Good to hear that the WC is going well.
Shame about the turnout ... I wish it was more in my range.

Look forward to photos and video  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:18:29 PM »

Here you go, Tim: Douglas World Cruiser, qualifying flight. Many congrats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOh1svRR3g

(I'll also post some more pics later.)

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »

A most enjoyable day. Many thanks our illustrious organiser, CD, judges and scorer (I'm afraid I'm only completely sure of 2.5 of the 4 names who ran things today, so rather than get anyone wrong out I'm hoping Tim will credit them properly!)

Because the turnout was so low (about ten or eleven flyers I think) it was agreed not to worry about the pre-set timetable and run the day as a self regulated free for all, with competitors just getting the judges attention as and when ready. For the same reason we were allowed multiple entries too, and, generously, as many attempts as we liked in a bid to get our open scale qualifying flights.  This, together with the copious space resulting from the low numbers, made for a relaxing day's flying. However, the flights were still properly flight judged, the Peanuts were properly static judged, and most of the the duration classes were keenly contested as well.

A few photos to follow but here are the results. If you entered a few things it was actually quite difficult not to get a certificate of some kind! (Were the Peanuts judged to the new rules? I didn't bother to find out I'm afraid as I'm not really sure of the old ones anyway.)

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: NW Gala, Manchester Velodrome. March 7th 2020.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 06:34:03 PM »

Peter

Yes the Open class flying only, Peanut and Pistachio were all judged to the new 2020 rules today.

Nice to see Tim managing the qualifier with the Douglas WC, a cracking model up close.

Persistance award of the day must go to Steve Lewis who must have had a dozen failed attempts in F/O before slotting in ever improving qualifiers to take the top spot by 5 points from yourself and 20 more than Ian Lever.  A very closely fought podium.

Peanut was even closer, as the difference between first and second was only 1 second of flying time - leading to a 60sec and 59 sec times multiplied by 3 meaning the end result was only 3 seconds (points) difference. Since the static scores were equal as well. 

John M
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »

Thanks for clarifying John, and again for all your efforts today.

Some photos...
1. Tim winding the DWC
2. DWC and other models on our table
3. SE5A by Dave Horsefield
4. An F1D I think (I'm very good on these things). It's probably Dave Whitehouse's, or just possibly Tim Milner's. Or Tom Tomlinson's.
5. Other end of our table. I couldn't quite get my old Farman flying both properly and within the nets today. Knocked the wings off a couple of times and am undecided whether to bin or repair but it's getting quite tatty now.
6. Tim's Bostonian Beechcraft thingy. Flies beautifully.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 07:32:30 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 06:48:13 PM »

Some more...
1 and 2. Tim Milner's Martinsyde S.1 (Not sure if it flew today)
3 ...and his Farman Moustique (which certainly did)
4. Ian Lever's slow flying Cessna Skyhawk. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x6PfRjOGYg
5. Our hard working judges assess my Scout. Tim Horne's venerable Hergt in foreground (no, not that, that's a thermos flask)
6. Steve Lewis's super little DHC Beaver. Has wheels in the floats and flew really nicely, using the whole space, for its best flight. From the Dumas kit.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 07:02:17 PM »

Last ones from me...
1. My Chazal. Could only manage about 13 seconds off the ground, but a bit better from the hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2_hkA2jWZ0 (thanks for filming, Tim)
I could put in a bit more rubber of course but then it would get quicker.
2. & 3. Couple more of the World Cruiser.
4. & 5. Steve Lewis's DHC Beaver again and his winning Leopard Moth. As John said, his persistence (and skill) paid off. Looked lovely in flight in that great scheme. Steve printed the lettering onto the tissue before covering. (Model's from an Easy Built kit apparently.)

That's it from me. I look forward to Tim's higher quality photos and videos to come!

Tim Horne
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 07:44:13 PM »

As Pete said, a big thank you to the organisers of today's event. The names Pete was searching for are CD Dave Whitehouse, Scores and admin Mike Colling and judges John Minchell (SP250) and Martyn Kinder.

My photos are not that different from Pete's.

1 & 2, the tables and fliers. Pete winding his Chazal on our table. Sorry these are so dark; I had my camera on the wrong setting.
3 Tom Tomlinsons Table. LPP in foreground, Osprey on box and Bostonian behind. Tom was the overall Gala champion.
4 Dave Whitehouse LPP.
5 Tim Milners Osprey (orange) and Legal Eagle.
6 Ian Levers Elias Airsport (winner of peanut) and Cessna Skyhawk.
Tim Horne
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 08:01:03 PM »

Last photos. We had such a busy day of flying I almost forgot to take pictures.

1 & 2 Various duration models. Sorry I don't know whose but almost certainly either Tim Milners, Neil Stewarts or Pete Dolbys!
3 Our esteemed judges taking a break from static judging my pistachio WACO SRE to judge a flight.
4,5 & 6 Steve Lewis DH leopard Moth and DH Beaver. A lot of hard work through the day was rewarded with a first place in Open Scale for the Leopard Moth and some very nice flights from the Beaver.

Tim Horne
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 01:28:14 PM »

Here are a few videos which I took yesterday.

First a couple of Pete's Farman F190. You can see the difficulty of getting a decent flight, and these two flights both ended up with the fuselage and wings still attached to each other which the worst flights didn't!

https://youtu.be/eRYxuvtD53s
https://youtu.be/_5kRSFTYNg4

Steve Lewis open scale winning Leopard moth. Not the best flight as Steve had to catch it as it headed for the Goal posts (my DWC's nemesis a few weeks ago Angry) but the best that I got with the camera.

https://youtu.be/Of81LpTRJZ8

A couple of Pete's Chazal Monoplane. One from a hand launch and one ROG. Although it flies better and more slowly with the rubber motor than with CO2, it could do with more power but there's not a lot of room for the rubber!

https://youtu.be/wkqmO274TR8
https://youtu.be/iEssCqcz0LE

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: