Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 01:00:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Website for colourising black and white photos  (Read 777 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »

This is worrying... a whole new way to waste loads of valuable building time! I've just discovered this website where you can upload any photo and it automatically colourises it in just a few seconds for free. If only it had been a bit disappointing I could have just moved on, but I'm really rather impressed!
https://demos.algorithmia.com/colorize-photos

EDIT: Actually it may be only the first few goes that are free before you have to pay, so I may yet be saved.

Before and after pics of the Bristol two-seater monoplane I'm now thinking of starting on...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Website for colourising black and white photos
Website for colourising black and white photos
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 05:34:14 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 03:18:30 AM »

Another effort on this Strutter pic. Not quite so convincing this time, as it rather failed on the red, white and blue at least.
Re: Website for colourising black and white photos
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 03:26:13 AM »

Interesting, Pete .... a "colour it just like my model" option would be good?!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 03:28:57 AM »

Pete, I had a quick go on what should be a blue/white Puss Moth and it came out looking drenched in blood. Perhaps I missed something - you must need to give it some idea of what colour it needs to be?!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 03:36:55 AM »

Yes, not sure how sophisticated it is. I think it just guesses the bits it doesn’t have obvious clues for (like grass=green). Pretty good guess on that first Bristol mono pic though I reckon.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 03:44:32 AM »

Amy Johnson...
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 04:39:07 AM »

So how does it know it's a leather flying coat and not some Sports Direct evening wear?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 04:47:39 AM »

Some kind of magic I’m guessing. Or maybe brown is just the default; it seems quite good on the earthier colours. Doesn’t our Amy look happy though? That photo was before she married Mollison of course.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 05:25:15 AM »

Doesn’t our Amy look happy though? That photo was before she married Mollison of course.
Yes there should be a film
Viperkite
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 05:27:00 AM »

I work for the East Riding of Yorkshire Museum Service and we have a lot of Amy Johnson artefacts including her logbook and the briefcase found in the Thames.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 05:42:40 AM »

I work for the East Riding of Yorkshire Museum Service and we have a lot of Amy Johnson artefacts including her logbook and the briefcase found in the Thames.
That's very interesting. I've been to the Amy Johnson museum at Sewerby Hall, though not for a while. I notice too in Hull that there is now not only the smallish white statue of her on Prospect Street (which got tarted up nicely during the City of Culture year) but also a bigger new bronze(?) one on the new estate they're building where Amy Johnson High School used to be. I came across it by accident when lost avoiding roadworks.
Viperkite
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 06:28:40 AM »

We also had a Barnes Wallis exhibition and I got to read his diary entries for the Dambuster raid. Very matter of fact.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 09:03:43 AM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
...in Hull that there is now not only the smallish white statue of her on Prospect Street (which got tarted up nicely during the City of Culture year) but also a bigger new bronze(?) one on the new estate they're building where Amy Johnson High School used to be. I came across it by accident when lost avoiding roadworks.

Quote from: Viperkite
We also had a Barnes Wallis exhibition and I got to read his diary entries for the Dambuster raid. Very matter of fact.

And Herne Bay has statues of both Amy Johnson, life size, bronze, my but she was petite, and Barnes-Wallis.  The links being that AJ crashed off Herne and that the stretch from Reculver to Herne was used for testing Upkeep and other odds and ends.  Of the two I think that of AJ is much better.

The colouring-in tool looks interesting.  I note that there's an API (web service) as well.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 09:05:25 AM »

I think I saw the Barnes Wallis exhibition. He’s got some connection to Howden hasn’t he?
Here he is too then, before and after being the run through the colouriser...
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »

I think I saw the Barnes Wallis exhibition. He’s got some connection to Howden hasn’t he?
The R100 was built there by Vickers, BN was Chief Engineer/Designer.  A certain Mr. Nevil Shute Norway was a member of his staff on the R100 project before going on to found Airspeed in York.

If you can get your hands on a copy of "Slide Rule" by Mr. Norway then do so.  It's a fascinating read all about R100 & Airspeed.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 09:17:45 AM »

Pete, leave that site before it's too late
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »

There ought to be a clickable button that enables the 'jaundiced eye' filter...

Always suspicious of those 'free' sites that do file conversions, where you have to upload your file.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »

Thanks, Lurks. I used to read a lot of Nevil Shute (novels) in younger days. Often a lot of aviation themes in them. A Town Like Alice is a cracking read too, although it drifts on a bit and he probably should have ended it where the film ends.

Bill, don’t worry- I’ve also been down to my flying field this morning so the website hasn’t completely hooked me yet. Still, I might just go on it again quickly and colourise just one more picture...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:10:52 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 11:14:58 AM »

Pete

I've been coming up empty trying to get the photo below colorized. It's the subject aircraft of my post in Outdoor Rubber Scale. It would be a hoot to see what the computer comes up with as I had to interpret some of the colors. The colorization site won't accept the photo. It's a scan from a book as a JPEG (whatever that means). The site asks for a URL (whatever that means). Any suggestions?

Ara

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 01:23:55 PM »

That is a truly remarkable site and I would have downloaded it by now but for one thing. 

End of last year I downloaded something on the same lines but not to do with aeroplanes and it infected my computer which Apple picked up.after a while. Fortunately my son was here and being a boffin sorted things out.  Briefly all kinds of nasty things appeared and there was an attempt to get me to part with my money or be reported to the police.  I am rather naive when it comes to this kind of technology however; but it does seem a pretty complex process which I would have thought meant being could demand a charge?  I accept I may be over reacting but as I said - I am naive!
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »

Quote from: Ara Dedekian
The colorization site won't accept the photo. It's a scan from a book as a JPEG (whatever that means). The site asks for a URL (whatever that means). Any suggestions?
I haven't gone looking but it sounds like the demonstrator accepts pictures from other web sites (URL is 'uniform resource locator/location' or "web address") but won't allow you to upload your own pictures directly.  It sounds like a naive attempt to stop people trying to use the thing for free for their own pictures.  If you have an account with Flickr* or any other picture sharing site you could try uploading the picture to that and when it is uploaded use the URL of the uploaded picture.  The uploaded picture will probably have a context menu (mouse button) item that says something like, "Copy Link".  That's the URL.

Of course the developers may have been cleverer than I give them credit for and have excluded URLs from sites like Flickr.  Only one way to find out... Smiley

Cheers,
Lurk

*It's not called Flickr these days, but I cannot be bothered to go looking.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 03:17:36 PM »

Using the thumbnail image in your post Ara, I ran the image thru the app and got this:  (Worked fine, just click on the  ↑UPLOAD  button)
Ara Dedekian
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »

Thanks all for the replies.

Indoor, I followed your insrutructions and it worked. I was looking for confirmation of a yellow spinner and nose. I picked this model because there's a 1/48 scale decal set for 'Hairless Joe' which contains the recollections of the actual members of the 325th Checkertail Clan. There were some conflicting memories of the colors but apparently there was no question as to the spinner; Red! But in the book, 'Checkertails', by Ernest McDowell where I got the picture, there's conflicting information on squadron and spinner colors between red and yellow. Looking at the tone of the spinner in the black and white photo and comparing it to a known yellow, the checks and '86' outline, I made it yellow on the model.

Apparently the photo didn't have enough info to render it in more primary colors, but the spinner is still bright enough to convince me it's not red.

Thanks again for the help,

Ara
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: