Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 23, 2021, 03:00:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crosby CR-4 NoCal  (Read 1935 times)
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2021, 11:22:57 PM »

Thanks for pushing me not to give up on this one.  I was pretty disappointed last outing with it, but your pointers made great sense.  Shocked everyone that this planform did fly.  Plus I like being different. Will you be coming to the Spring Fling in May?

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Yes nocals can be touchy sometimes, especially low wing subjects. So glad to see the transformation into happy flying plane :-) I just had to recover my Crosby as I guess I was skimpy with the spray adhesive and the tissue was falling off. So re did it with white glue and water over the weekend. I am planning on the May contest, have my hotel booked. Will have my Crosby with me. Hopefully a WWII as well.   

Don
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2021, 03:23:27 AM »

That was an interesting trim solution for your Crosby Archie. It seems to me that apart from reducing tip stall - the tip washout in reducing the wing incidence overall has also reduced the AOA with respect to the thrust line and thus leading to a climb further from the stall.

Anyway good luck with it.

John
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »

That was an interesting trim solution for your Crosby Archie. It seems to me that apart from reducing tip stall - the tip washout in reducing the wing incidence overall has also reduced the AOA with respect to the thrust line and thus leading to a climb further from the stall.

Anyway good luck with it.

John

This model has a really high taper ratio.  This led to tip stall then into power stall.  The lack of decalage then made it hunt and that just helped to induce more madness. 

I am far from expert on this, but with the washout, the stalls were mild and departure from stall was immediate.  The added decalage then added the stability it needed.  Still needs a bit more tail incidence and then very careful attention to winding technique.  Bunching cost me a chance in a flyoff.  I think there is room for more in the prop.as I only used a 7 x 8.4 x 1.125 on it.  I have a 7 x 9 and a 7 x 10.5 that could stretch the duration if the thrust is enough to pull this bird around.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 08:15:39 PM »

Best way to solve rubber bunching on indoor nocals is adding spacing on the rear hook and thrust bearing.
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2021, 07:45:01 PM »

Best way to solve rubber bunching on indoor nocals is adding spacing on the rear hook and thrust bearing.

Good tip.  I will try that. 

Thanks!!

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »

Well I did a few test hops at Pontiac with the Crosby. Needed a little more incidence so was going to make an adjustment and retrim when they announced to wind up for the mass launch one hour before what was printed on the registration form. Quite irritating. Not right to do that when it is published and people drive 4 hours to a contest and plan out when they will fly. I was flying gliders in the morning and planned on stopping at 11am to give me an hour to trim for the noon mass launch. 
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2021, 08:24:35 PM »

Well I did a few test hops at Pontiac with the Crosby. Needed a little more incidence so was going to make an adjustment and retrim when they announced to wind up for the mass launch one hour before what was printed on the registration form. Quite irritating. Not right to do that when it is published and people drive 4 hours to a contest and plan out when they will fly. I was flying gliders in the morning and planned on stopping at 11am to give me an hour to trim for the noon mass launch. 

Very sorry you weren't able to get your Crosby trimmed before the mass launch.  It appeared it was getting there from what I saw.  I heard the call to start winding and was puzzled as well. 

Mine was custom crunched (caught by a spectator) on a trim flight and I was scrambling to get it repaired before the mass launch.  It is now damaged beyond repair.  Hope to see you at the indoor Nats. 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington KY

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2021, 01:39:47 AM »

Bad luck Archie and Don! Custom crunched Smiley I guess it was far from funny at the time.

John
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2021, 08:26:09 AM »

I will be at the Nats Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Just planning on flying my Cassutt nocal in regular FAC Nocal.

Don
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »

Don, for a future nocal Cassutt, the retractable one modified by Charlie Tilghman (spelling is probably wrong) would be interesting.... The gear retracted into pods on the fuselage, which could be drawn onto the fuselage covering.  Would need a little adjustment to the fuselage (belly) outline
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: