Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 02, 2020, 02:50:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is this a good time for a cookup?  (Read 315 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »

It looks like some of us are soon going to be forced (or at least encouraged) to spend a lot more time at home over the next few months, so I was wondering of it might be a good opportunity to start a new build cookup on here. I'm open to suggestions, although a Mooney cookup might be one option. I've got lots of Walt Mooney plans ready to go and have never actually built any of them (and Russ of course would already have a head start!)

Would do people think?
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 01:27:28 PM »

Great idea Pete. I'm isolating for the sake of elderly parents (although I'm still able to work safely for the moment.) I think a cook up would be spot on  Cool
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 01:42:31 PM »

Thanks, Jon. I was meant to be holidaying with my parents soon but they're both over 80 and so that is now cancelled. I'm not confined to barracks or working from home yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before the schools close and I've suddeny got loads of extra building time. (Mind you, I don't do so badly even in normal weeks!)

The cookup could last pretty much as long as the current crisis does. It'd be nice to have something fun and still sort of sociable to do. If we do go with the Mooney idea I'd quite like to make a little trophy and we can vote on the nicest completed model at the end to see who gets it.  
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 72

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »

Good idea, Pete  Smiley
I've reviewed things and will alternate between work and doing nothing at home. I'll have to fill that "nothing" with something useful!

I must admit that I resist describing myself as vulnerable ... diabetes and being over 60 ... but it does mean that "self isolation" is probably something I should do, but it's still hard to get over the feeling that I should be working!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 03:02:42 PM »

Excellent idea Pete, excellent!
john bowerman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 03:36:27 PM »

Pete
Yes great idea, I have been confined to Barracks from the weekend and like the idea, I also have several Mooney Plans.
When do we start??
John
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 03:39:56 PM »

Great idea Pete.

I was looking at a Telco powered SE5a as I have a few Telcos only just this morning in order to make use of mayhem, or in aeromodelling terms- workshop fest

A Mooney could be good too I'll have a look at possible subjects
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »

Thank you all. I'll leave it a few more hours for anyone else to chip in their thoughts on here, and then start the cook-up thead proper. The good thing about Walt Mooney is that there are about a squillion to choose from.
Chris, there's a Mooney Peanut SE5 which might do for your Telco if enlarged a bit. I think it is an SE5 too (ie not an SE5A) which might make a nice change.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »

Good idea Pete

I have had to cancel all the Shawbury indoor meetings for the rest of the year this morning, so this could be just the incentive to get a few builds completed as well as started/finished and aim for Nijmegen in November.

Slope soaring club is going ahead tho' with 10 feet between pilots and no coughing into the wind!

John M
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »

Well well didn’t take long did it?  I thought some would see this as a lead swingers charter.  I won’t have time I suspect as I will be out with a group who will look after the old folk who aren’t so mobile getting their shopping etc.  What is the world coming to!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 04:47:42 PM »

So it just has to be from a Mooney plan does it.  And you can enlarge or reduce it if you want?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 05:35:50 PM »

Pete suggested enlarging a plan to me so i think that's within the 'rules'

I can't find a download of the SE5 but the Avro Baby looks nice maybe scaled upto 16" for a Telco Huh I'll keep looking though
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »

Re:  COOKUP

What are the rules then?   Is it just a scratch build from a Mooney plan?   Or could it be a kit from a Mooney plan?   Also, with so many builds being crammed in on top of each other, it makes it very difficult to keep track of it all.   Have you guys ever considered separate build threads, all under one category?    And ...  is this cookup just for static display?   If so, then we would not have to build these models to actually fly.   Is there a list of cookup topics already done?   

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 05:49:21 PM »

That SE5 plan is actually in the HPA Plan Gallery, it is identified as SE5A, but the plan itself has SE5 in the title block.  

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=1063        

(Maybe RATZ could edit the plan entry. There's even a 7 yr old comment to that effect in the footer)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Is this a good time for a cookup?
Re: Is this a good time for a cookup?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:16:49 PM by Indoorflyer » Logged
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 06:18:42 PM »

tempting...

scale free flight & micro RC
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 90

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 06:19:50 PM »

This could be interesting - I've long looked at the Mooney Keleher Lark or an upscaled We Will Jr...

Mike
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 05:22:58 AM »

As well as the plans gallery, other resources are:

https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?page=1

http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/our-staff/94-model-aircraft-plans/331-walt-mooney-plans-bag-6

The latter (which includes the SE5) are all Peanuts and need re-scaling up by 162.5%

For my part I'm several cookups behind the curve... only now ready to start building my Self-Isolation...  Shocked
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 08:56:13 AM »

Grin  once i finish my corsair and twin p40
maybe

jim Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print