Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 11:50:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 114   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020  (Read 41594 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2020, 06:24:44 PM »

Okay, after all the generally supportive noises I'm just going to start this.
The idea is simply to give us something fun to do together whilst some of us find ourselves restricted to our homes more than usual. The theme is Walt Mooney designs because pretty much everyone loves a Walt Mooney design!

Rules as follows:

1. Build a model from any Walt Mooney plan and share your progress on here.

I hope those rules are not too wordy and complicated for anyone's taste. Everybody is welcome. All modifications such as enlargments, reductions, power source changes, extra bits, missing bits, redesigned bits, tweaked bits and bodged bits ARE allowed.
My first job will be to cobble up a small easily-mailable trophy (don't get too excited) to be awarded to the model which gets the most votes at the end of the cook-up, but this is not really meant to be seen as a serious competition. The cook-up will end when we’ve had enough or we run out of Mooney subjects.

Any questions, queries or debates, just keep firing away.

Right, let's get started.... To Outerzone! To the Plans Gallery! To that big untidy box of old plans on top of the cupboard that you keep meaning to sort out!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:09:57 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 06:39:15 PM »

Jolly good, Pete  Smiley
I also started downloading Mooney plans until I realised I had loads on the Livesay CD already saved to my computer!
...  the Livesay CD feels almost like something from yesteryear now!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:59 PM »

As some might notice, I’ve just changed this thread’s title to something more straightforward. Apologies to anyone who found my original one rather insensitive. It was, hence the edit.

Anyway, back to the Mooneys. Even without your CD Russ, there’s almost too much choice! I’ve got a stack of Mooney peanut plans I sent off for years ago and there are a few more as centrefolds in old Aeromodellers too. I‘M still undecided but may have to do the extremely cute Avro Baby, even if Chris is going to do one too. Some of the Bostonians are very appealing as well. Decisions decisions...
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:11:30 AM »

waynesfreeflightmodels.WordPress.com has many Mooney plans, though you might get distracted by some of the others.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 02:05:56 AM »

Pete, what a great idea!
I might participate and give my best to stay within the time frame Grin
It is quite some time since I participated in a cookup. I hope I still know how to behave Grin Grin

Roman

PS: I have no idea what plan to build since there are so many nice subjects...
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 02:16:36 AM »

I really shouldn't start yet another project before I finish the ones on the building board for way too long...

... but hey, it looks like I'll have plenty of time in my hands with the lock-down in place. I'm in with either the Hollandaire HA-001 Liber or Wickner "Wickno". I'll probably scale them up to 24".

After this cook-up, we might try an Emmanuel Fillon and/or Mike Nassise cook-ups.

Best,
--Ates
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 02:32:59 AM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
My first job will be to cobble up a small easily-mailable trophy (don't get too excited) to be awarded...
Is there any possible doubt about this?  It has to be a box crate of Tunnock's Tea Cakes. Smiley
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 03:10:15 AM »

s there any possible doubt about this?  It has to be a box crate of Tunnock's Tea Cakes. Smiley

Dark Chocolate for those watching our waistlines I hope Wink

I have been a bit dim on this one, it's almost like there's some sort of distraction going on.  Huh Anyway I have a project already that's waiting to be built so I will make that the Cook up project.

It's a Graham White Bantam - a post WW1 biplane designed as a sporting aircraft using the supply of ex military rotary engines - a bit like a small Sopwith Camel.

I have the Mooney Peanut plan which I will enlarge slightly to 16" for a Telco CO2 motor. I was planning to go much bigger as a outdoor model and a big Gasparin GM300 but that wouldn't be a Mooney anymore but my own design

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 03:23:26 AM »

The Bantam’s another great quirky Walt Mooney subject, Chris. Super choice.
Roman, you always behave impeccably in cook-ups as I recall. Unlike some I could mention...

Quote from: Pete Fardell
My first job will be to cobble up a small easily-mailable trophy (don't get too excited) to be awarded...
Is there any possible doubt about this?  It has to be a box crate of Tunnock's Tea Cakes. Smiley
Oh dear. There’s always one. Which part of “but this is not really meant to be a serious competition” did you fail to understand? Please see me after school (er... perhaps with that crate you mentioned?)

Ates, the Hollandair and Wicko are two more very tempting choices. I’d forgotten they’d been ‘Mooneyed’. It’s amazing how many interesting subjects he turned up, even working in pre-internet days.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 03:50:45 AM »

I’ve just remembered another Walt Mooney plan I’ve been intending to build since just about forever... the Demoiselle. Might just be its time!
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 50

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 04:14:25 AM »

The Bantham with CO2 was a thought of mine a week ago...

Now taken, so maybe the Weick pusher...

scale free flight & micro RC
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 05:41:38 AM »

I'm in  Cool now for some plan browsing...

My list so far:
Waco SRE - everyone in the world seems to have built this except me, the 'easy' building & flying choice
Northrop Delta - seriously tempted by this one as I love clunky looking airliners, but a bit trickier
PZL Orlik - what a looker!
Sparrowhawk - if I can find a scheme I like (scrolling through masses of photos of naff ARTFs in Chilton colours  Roll Eyes)

Jon
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 05:46:46 AM »

So many to choose from.
From my 'physical' collection of bags of peanuts etc. the Microplano Veloz was on my shortlist.
Chris Strachan had a nice Ord Hume at Impington at the weekend .... I'm probably late to the show in finding out that it was developed from the Luton Minor?!
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:02 AM »

Hi Pete,

Not been involved in a "cook-up" before, but it sounds like a bit of fun ( and +1 for the Dark Tunnocks btw Cheesy)

As I want to try working at Peanut sizes, I thought I might try the Castaibert IV - what do you think?

John
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 07:24:25 AM »

Rules as follows:

1. Build a model from any Walt Mooney plan and share your progress on here.

I hope those rules are not too wordy and complicated for anyone's taste. Everybody is welcome. All modifications such as enlargements, reductions, power source changes, extra bits, missing bits, redesigned bits, tweaked bits and bodged bits ARE allowed.

Please Sir... can it be for outdoor?   Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 07:33:11 AM »

As I want to try working at Peanut sizes, I thought I might try the Castaibert IV - what do you think?
I think it's a super choice, John; another great Mooney subject that I'd forgotten about.
Btw, in this cook-up I think there should be absolutely no shame or qualms about anyone (like me for instance) doing the same subject as someone else!

JP- yes it can be outdoor. I only started the thread in the indoor scale section because most of the Mooneys are peanuts, which here in the UK usually means indoor flying. They're not all peanuts though, and they're not all scale. And as mentioned the peanuts can be enlarged in any case. Anything at all goes. You can even fly your Mooney model underwater whilst swimming off your new boat if you like, Jon (don't forget to video though).
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 09:36:38 AM »

Right, I'm going for the Waco SRE and a nice simple scheme. Plans now printed and I'm underway.

Jon, please at least build a float plane and launch it off the foredeck for us!   Grin
Thanks for arranging this Pete, it's just what the doctor ordered  Cool
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 10:36:30 AM »

Jon, please at least build a float plane and launch it off the foredeck for us!   Grin

Limited choice of marine subjects from the Mooney stable... except for the 48" Aeronica Champion  Shocked

Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 10:40:07 AM »

I have a just-started (tail is built) Mooney Miles Sparrowhawk on the Peanut forum, does that count? Am I allowed to post progress in both threads?

A.

P.S. Great idea, Pete.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 11:10:59 AM »

Yes, you can post your progress both in your original thread and this global cock-up one...

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave!  Grin
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 11:24:44 AM »

Speaking of float planes, WM "did" a water-worthy Found Brothers FBA-2, also in the plan gallery. Has that weird non-scale cranked wing like his other Found plans...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 11:43:39 AM »

Yes, you can post your progress both in your original thread and this global cock-up one...
Cook-up, Jon, COOK-up. Do I need to see you in my office too?
bobson
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »

Good idea Pete! I've admired Mooney plans for a few years but still haven't built one. I'll probably get started in the next week or so... I was also looking at the Hollandair high-wing, or maybe a Lemberger, or Lublin... some strange European thing, unless I build a Rearwin Speedster... Grin Too much to choose from. Looking forward to seeing people's progress.

Oliver
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »

Aaah... found something! The Mooney Pilatus Turbo-Porter floatplane!

Somehow the substitution of floats for undercarriage seems to change it from pig-ugly to a thing of great beauty...!

Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 12:34:06 PM »

Cook-up, Jon, COOK-up. Do I need to see you in my office too?

Sorry Sir...

https://youtu.be/hxloU6vX3yw?t=124
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 114   Go Up
Print
Jump to: