Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 19, 2021, 06:31:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020  (Read 44822 times)
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2675 on: June 22, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »

Well done Mike!  Primus inter pares
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #2676 on: June 22, 2020, 03:04:32 PM »

Great result Mike. A truly worthy winner
john bowerman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #2677 on: June 22, 2020, 03:10:05 PM »

Congratulation Mike on a super example of what can be done with time and attention to detail.
I hope she flys as good as she looks.
John
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #2678 on: June 22, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »

Congratulations Mike, a very well deserved win.
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #2679 on: June 22, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »

Well done, Mike - well deserved!

John
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #2680 on: June 22, 2020, 06:23:49 PM »

Very well done Mike!

And well done also to everyone who has taken - and are still taking - part part in this great Fardell-Mooney initiative!
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2681 on: June 22, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »

Mike,
        A true work of art beautifully executed. The Golden Rib now has some travelling to do to a warmer place.   
       Ricky
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2682 on: June 22, 2020, 08:00:58 PM »

Well there's a surprise  Grin  Well deserved winner and many thanks for sharing your techniques when asked.
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2683 on: June 22, 2020, 10:57:21 PM »

Congrats Mike - what a clean bit of building! It was looking like a winner all the way through the build.

And well done again Pete - what a fine effort.

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2684 on: June 23, 2020, 12:08:47 AM »

Excellent work Mike.  Congrats!
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 106

Ignore
« Reply #2685 on: June 23, 2020, 12:20:44 AM »

Wow - thanks guys, I'm blushing a bit here, especially given the talent shown with so many of the models in this cookup.  

We've had pretty windy conditions here for the last week.  This morning there was a brief calm period so I snuck out to the retention pond at the back of our neighborhood and played with the Lark, just test glides and a few hand-wound tosses.  Video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c32FNl4qYvc.

I had hoped to fly on a loop of 1/16" rubber, but that proved not quite enough to haul it around - on hand winds it was basically doing powered glides.  Next calm spell I'll give it a shot with a loop of 3/32" rubber.

I value the votes and recognition, but I really appreciate Pete kicking this off and cheerleading us all through the builds (despite his day job as director and cinematographer of the most engaging aviation film this year).  The cookup brought a lot of entertainment and camaraderie during what was otherwise a bit of a bleak time - cheers to everyone for making it a memorable event.

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2686 on: June 23, 2020, 12:52:23 AM »

Congratulations Mike on your win! It's a lovely model and looks to have a good potential!

John - still building - very slowly Smiley
kkphantom
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #2687 on: June 23, 2020, 03:07:59 AM »

Well deserved win Mike....I bet I was second place.....
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2688 on: June 23, 2020, 03:51:04 AM »

..... 2nd equal of course   Wink

I hope that you are not putting the yellow marker pen away now though, Pete?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2689 on: June 23, 2020, 04:40:14 AM »

Well done, Mike! A thoroughly deserved win. The Lark is a wonderful model and also a truly inspirational work of art. The "Golden Rib" will be in the post shortly.

I hope that you are not putting the yellow marker pen away now though, Pete?
No, there's still plenty of ink in the yellow marker so unless people tell me otherwise the cook-up rolls on. Too many models are in the pipeline, and too many are awaiting flight tests to stop just yet. I'll also keep adding the finished ones to the other thread. Even though there's no more voting I think that's the best way to see them all.

Having said all that, I do think the poll deadline helped move things on a bit, so perhaps we need another date to head towards? I'm open to suggestions. There's the Old Warden Scale Weekend in September of course, but clearly that doesn't work for everyone.
Another idea might be to have a 'Flight Week' where we all try and post a video of our Mooney model flight in another thread set up for that purpose. Flights already made could be reposted there too. Or we can just keep chugging along as normal until things naturally come to an end. All thoughts welcome.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #2690 on: June 23, 2020, 04:58:56 AM »

Congrats Maestro Mike - a clear winner I should think and rightly so. "What a lark", as we say over here Grin.

Stephen.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2691 on: June 23, 2020, 02:11:55 PM »

A Suggestion
Off and on today I’ve been mulling over the issue of how to conclude this cook-up. I’m not proposing we lock the thread or anything, particularly as a lot of the UK peanuts probably won’t be flown until the next indoor season. On balance though, I think I would prefer to have a cut off date in terms of adding models to the spreadsheet and photos to the ‘finished’ thread. I propose Friday 17th July as that will be exactly 4 months after we started. It’s also about when the final AeroModeller write up will be published, and coincidentally it’s the teenager who set up the spreadsheet’s birthday.

I would like to know what people think about this date though, particularly those of you whose models aren’t yet finished. Does the 17th of July give enough time for those who really want to complete their projects within the cook-up limits? (Or those who want to squeeze in one more Mooney!)
I’m happy to discuss alternatives.
Pete
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2692 on: June 23, 2020, 02:34:30 PM »

That sounds good to me, Pete.
I think that if you do not have a finite end, then this could turn out to be a job for life for you!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2693 on: June 23, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »

I actually really enjoy updating the files, but I also think even good things sometimes need to come to a proper end rather than being allowed to die slowly on the vine. Apart from anything else, it makes way for the next good thing!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2694 on: June 23, 2020, 03:32:40 PM »

....indeed ..... the Best Flight competition! Sorry Pete.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #2695 on: June 23, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »

First of all congratulation to Mike.
You managed to squeeze into a 13" model the essence of the full scale airplane. I dont know how you do it, but admire the result.

Pete, thank you again for the fantasy and hard work put into this adventure.
I would suggest, after 4 month, you leave the topic on his own and retire from "head of the gang". There will be someone who finishes his model later and will be pleased to let us know in the usual place. Also we still have to report about the result of all this sweating, the FLYING PART. Let's keep the argument together in the same place.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #2696 on: June 23, 2020, 05:08:17 PM »

Congratulations Mike on this win. You should be very happy with the final vote. You did get all 3 of my votes. Hope we can take our pnuts out for some flying whenever the weather cooperates. CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN MIKE.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2697 on: June 23, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »

A Suggestion
Off and on today I’ve been mulling over the issue of how to conclude this cook-up. I’m not proposing we lock the thread or anything, particularly as a lot of the UK peanuts probably won’t be flown until the next indoor season. On balance though, I think I would prefer to have a cut off date in terms of adding models to the spreadsheet and photos to the ‘finished’ thread. I propose Friday 17th July as that will be exactly 4 months after we started. It’s also about when the final AeroModeller write up will be published, and coincidentally it’s the teenager who set up the spreadsheet’s birthday.

I would like to know what people think about this date though, particularly those of you whose models aren’t yet finished. Does the 17th of July give enough time for those who really want to complete their projects within the cook-up limits? (Or those who want to squeeze in one more Mooney!)
I’m happy to discuss alternatives.
Pete

Friday 17th is OK by me. I am unlikely to finish my Peris JN-1 drawing by then. Had another set back yesterday. Did a few hours work after lunch, saved the file then put the computer to sleep by closing the lid and switched off the mains power to exercise the internal battery. That was just before 4pm. Went for a walk to get my legs going again. Came back, prepared dinner etc and restarted working at about 6 pm. Worked till about 9pm, saved the file and shut down TC. I then noticed the time stamp on the file had not changed since the 4pm save. Lots of good work in between those times was not saved. Not sure if the glitch was due to TC 2019, Windows 10 (very latest version) or the PC.

Next time I will also close TC before putting the PC to sleep. Oh the wonders of modern technology.

Paul

BTW: I did vote first place for Mike’s model. Well done. Deciding 2nd and 3rd places was also very hard.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2698 on: June 23, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »

As possibly the slowest builder here - 17th July is fine, and thanks Peter, for all the idea and the efforts of yourself and your elf Smiley

John
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2699 on: June 24, 2020, 05:37:18 AM »

John - it will be worth waiting for!

Pete - I think you need to close this one off at the date you suggest so you can start the Emanuel Fillon Peanut Cook-Up...  :-)   not to mention the "Pete's backyard England to Australia commemorative flight" ...and documentary film (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_England_to_Australia_flight)

I will follow the progress. THB
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:50:57 AM by THB » Logged

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115   Go Up
Print
Jump to: