Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 19, 2021, 10:11:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020  (Read 44840 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2775 on: July 01, 2020, 04:32:05 AM »

Interesting TE saga you're having here Pete! The model has shown it's potential well and truly and is worth these slight adjustments. I also like armchair trimming- it's very satisfying to actually help someone but I'm still trying to improve my success rate. Smiley

I know it sounds a bit of a pain Pete - but I second bill's hot water boarding torture for the TE's of your wings Smiley.  It will make it a lot easier to trim the model and that alone makes it worthwhile.

Also yes - go right - right.It will improve your duration.

it's potential is worth the effort.

John
vintagemike
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2776 on: July 01, 2020, 05:38:23 AM »

Also if you do have problems, try it with the bigger prop on again
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2777 on: July 01, 2020, 07:10:12 AM »

Pete,
       Another possibility is to straighten and stiffen the Trailing edge with carbon fibre tows cynoed to the bottom of the TE. I have done this with a TE that bowed on the first AOP9 and it worked well after a session with the hot towel on the port wing. The lighter structure of the Beaver probably would not require the water treatment.
Ricky
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #2778 on: July 01, 2020, 09:57:40 AM »

Sure hope to see this fly on Saturday. Lark just looks better each time I see it.
The Lark has been Peck'd.  Via aggressive scraping on the prop and a little judicious trimming on the noseblock I was able to keep the front end within a tenth of a gram going from the built-up prop (including nose ballast) to the heavier plastic prop.  CG balance is within 1/16" with the new prop despite the weight being a bit more forward.  Forecast for Saturday looks promising - if holiday plans don't conflict I hope to get it in the air then.  The Peck prop does give it a more classic Peanut look...

Mike
mick66
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2779 on: July 01, 2020, 12:08:27 PM »

Build another wing.

Wouldn't think twice on a comp duration model

Mike
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #2780 on: July 02, 2020, 05:37:22 AM »

Very well said Mick66. With the ribs all the same and the rib templates already existing and the fresh experience of having built the first wing/s, it should be a quick job with a better outcome. A hard trailing edge can be sanded thin at the back for a better look. Use the kettle to make a cupper tea before you start.

Stephen.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #2781 on: July 02, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
..cleaned up Veloz plan... Reckon most of us have looked at doing that one at some point.
Posted. Will appear whenever Ratz has had time to check it over.  The cleaned up version was based on the scan of the original magazine plan posted in the gallery by Gravitywell OTP

I'm going to have to build one. Seems it was silver doped overall and I have a weakness for shiny aeroplanes.  My shiny thing!  On a less appealing note it seems the original was grounded permanently after a long series of modifications failed to make it safe to fly. 
Kevin M
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #2782 on: July 02, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »

I'm going to have to build one.

Please do!
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2783 on: July 03, 2020, 06:25:13 AM »

Hi all - I had not forgotten about this one I started - Mooney A-1 - just hadn't had a chance to get back to it. There was a bit more progress this week. And who knows - may be able to finish it before the July deadline.  And the only decent pic I could find of the real thing. It shows much different wheels than the WM plan. The plans calls out for 3/32 fuselage structure so it could be sanded round at the corners - which makes it a pretty chunky build. It will not have much chance of being a high duration ship - so maybe I should take more of a 'Rat-Rod' approach. Does anyone still fly Peanut Speed events?
Tim
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2784 on: July 03, 2020, 06:52:23 AM »

Tim,
      That is certainly a different build to the last one. I hope you have some very light 3/32"sheet but even so to get a good duration will really be a challenge. Out first indoor night is due on the 20 July and is kit scale so the peanuts may have to wait.
Have you put control in on the Victorian border because it really looks a bit ugly. We are having our moments here as well from repatrations largely from India and Pakistan. 
Ricky
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2785 on: July 03, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »

AK,

It's still advertised for sale in the NFFS Journal - here's the ad from an issue I received last week.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've sent an e-mail.

Hi Alfakilo.  Did you get a response yet?  I sent an email 5 days ago and haven't heard a peep.  Wanted to see if the current edition is a later version than the one I have.
alfakilo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #2786 on: July 04, 2020, 11:06:46 PM »

AK,

It's still advertised for sale in the NFFS Journal - here's the ad from an issue I received last week.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've sent an e-mail.

Hi Alfakilo.  Did you get a response yet?  I sent an email 5 days ago and haven't heard a peep.  Wanted to see if the current edition is a later version than the one I have.

No, sad to say, I haven't gotten a response. Maybe I'll try again using regular mail.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #2787 on: July 05, 2020, 07:10:23 AM »

I would like to know how you get on.....I sent an email a little while ago with no response so far and do not feel like trying the mail frankly.
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2788 on: July 05, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »

I've come to the conclusion that it's U.S, Mail only, I try contacting by e=mail every time some one brings it up, at least 5 times over the past 5 or so years. 
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2789 on: July 05, 2020, 09:29:30 AM »

I wonder about that ad in the NFFS journal. I don't think they're paying for that ad, it must be a "comp" provided by Society management.  Anybody who pays for an ad listing their product/contact information, and doesn't respond to inquiries must operate under a very strange business model! Copies occasionally turn up on ABE books, or eBay, etc.  I'm surprised nobody has scanned it and sent it to Outerzone/rclibrary.  Not that I'm suggesting that, of course... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:47:54 AM by Indoorflyer » Logged
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2790 on: July 05, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »

Grin
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2791 on: July 05, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »

Quote from: Indoorflyer
I'm surprised nobody has scanned it and sent it to Outerzone/rclibrary.  Not that I'm suggesting that...
No, that wouldn't be a good idea at all because it'd be the chap who runs Outerzone who'd get it the neck if the legal weasels came calling and we might lose a really valuable resource as a result.  It's not as if the book isn't being published any more or even out of copyright.  If it were, then fine, but as downright odd or even stupid as the business model appears to be it doesn't mean we can deprive the publisher of whatever small income they are receiving by making a pirate copy available.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2792 on: July 05, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »

It was merely a tongue in cheek observation! Hence the emoji...
OZ and AeroFred both have LOTS of material* that is on shaky grounds/slippery slope with respect to rights/ownership.

I always chortle at the OZ fine print about people "appropriating" material from their site; rather like  "we stole it first, fair and square"   Cheesy

*plans from Flying Models Magazine, Bill Hannan, etc.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2793 on: July 05, 2020, 03:12:25 PM »

Quote from: Indoorflyer
It was merely a tongue in cheek observation! Hence the emoji...
Aye, I thought it was, but there's always one clot that takes a joke too far.  So some humourless, boring old wet blanket like me has put the mockers on it before they do.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #2794 on: July 06, 2020, 04:48:31 AM »

Boring and humourless wet blanket I suggest you are not dear boy, by anyone’s standard.  Although the laws of copyright are complex and for a purveyor of model aircraft plans the income is probably out of proportion to the costs of an action for enforcement one never knows  and so I think it right to err on the side of caution.

There may be a very good reason why the publishers are not responding.  Perhaps knocking on the door will be the only answer.  Anyone live near enough?  Covis is alive and well in the US.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 106

Ignore
« Reply #2795 on: July 07, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »

The Golden Rib arrived in the mail yesterday - thanks again Pete for a great cookup!

Mike
faif2d
Platinum Member

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2796 on: July 07, 2020, 08:42:21 PM »

I was going to try to join and chose the Aeronca Defender at 125% but I have thrown in the towel as it is just to small for me to work on even at 125%.  I thought that the stamp tweezers would help and I think they did but it is still just to small. Attached is how far I got

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Bingo Fuel
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #2797 on: July 07, 2020, 10:33:09 PM »

Faif2d. The original size was much bigger. I have the plan someplace. I’m thinking it was around 28”
kkphantom
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #2798 on: July 08, 2020, 04:11:15 AM »

Faif2d.
Don't give up now, looks like you've done the fiddly bits already. You don't have to use sliced ribs but if you do, make things easier for yourself and cut a rectangle of balsa the correct length for those rib bottoms and just slice off the amount you need rather than cutting them individually to size.
Gary
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2799 on: July 08, 2020, 04:45:21 AM »

I agree, don’t give up on the Defender, Faif2d. It’s looking great. I’d just do solid ribs if they’re too fiddly.

Mike, thanks for posting the pic of the Lark with the Golden Rib. Really glad it got to you safely, and congrats again.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115   Go Up
Print
Jump to: