Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 19, 2021, 07:18:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020  (Read 44830 times)
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2800 on: July 08, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »

The thing that ended it for me was looking at the fuselage cross pieces and the first 2 bulkheads for the front of the fuselage.  I may be able to do the fuselage but the first bulkhead is to small to even hold the pattern with one finger.  It is just to small for me to do this size anymore.  Dime scale is as small as I can go and I usually blow those up 125% or so as well. I do have all this PP new gunnie wood in 1/16 that is a joy to work with but not on this one.  I will probably finish the wing and glue the parts together and hang it on the wall.  Thanks for all the encouragement anyway.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2801 on: July 08, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »

Hi Faif2d,
this cook-up has been my first attempt at small models too, and one thing I found essential apart from the tweezers was a good headband magnifier, like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Magnifying-Charging-Magnifier-Upgraded/dp/B07PZ6BB9Z/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Headband+Magnifier+with+LED+Light%2C+Handsfree+Reading+Magnifier+Glasses%2C+Magnifying+Glasses+with+2+LED+Light+5+Detachable+Lenses+for+Reading%2C+Jewelry+Loupe+%26+Electronic+Repair+%28Style+1%29&qid=1594226514&sr=8-3
( I bought mine on the UK site, though)

Also, remember that we do this for fun!   Unless you're going to be entering competitions with specific rules, I've decided that if you have to make the wood sizes a little bigger so you can handle it, do it!

I'm sure if I can manage, you can!

John
faif2d
Platinum Member

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2802 on: July 08, 2020, 05:29:14 PM »

Thanks for that John.  I tend to use reading glasses of much higher than required diopter.  I used to just put them over my regular glasses but after cataract surgery I do not need glasses unless I am reading small type or working on the models. The bigest problem is my fingers, with or without tweezers, being able to handle the sticks. I just have a few more ribs and the tips to do then glue all the parts together and I will call this one done. There have been some incredible models on this build and I was inspired there for awhile.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
alfakilo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #2803 on: July 08, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »

As the saying goes, been there, done that!

I, too, got some high power reading glasses (cheap ones) and found that these tended to curve what I was seeing. At first I didn't realize this and tried to "fix" the curve. Of course, because there actually was no curve to the wood, things got out of whack real quick. Eventually I figured out what was happening and stopped using these glasses if I was lining something up.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2804 on: July 11, 2020, 02:16:37 AM »

The Defender bits look neat FAIF2D - as mentioned it is almost smooth sailing to the finish. I'm sure you will amaze your self if you stay working on it.

You will certainly finish before me Cheesy

John
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2805 on: July 11, 2020, 06:10:46 AM »

Understand your frustration FaiF2D - all of us hit speed bumps on the way. Let me share my current issues - just the model plane related ones for now :-)

Mooney A-1

This peanut was designed by WM based on a Hurst Bowers 3-view - and featured a unique Kinner engine installation (pic 1 and pic 2) with prominent collector ring. I have not been able to find this 3-view - so I was a bit disadvantaged to start. But assumed that WM followed the drawing for the main part.

It is advisable for any scale modeller to do their research on the prototype first. Before building. I did not do this.

Half way through construction I found a picture of the A-1 - but it did not show the engine detail I expected (pic 3). This seems to show a basic Kinner installation with no cowl or elaborate front collector ring.

Then I found a post from a guy researching Packard diesel engines (pic 4) and who had found documentation of an aircraft clearly identified as a Mooney A-1 and photo of an airplane clearly showing the Packard diesel installation (pic 5).

But the engine installation and collector ring in the last pic - an Alexander Eaglerock - look much more like the WM plan...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 06:43:00 AM by THB » Logged

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2806 on: July 11, 2020, 06:23:15 AM »

So here is what a Kinner looks like (pic 1) and what it looks like installed in a Kinner aircraft (pic 2) and it looks a lot like the Mooney A-1 photo I started with (pic 3). But not much like the WM version...

I did think about replicating the Packard diesel version - which also looks cool (pic 4 again) but means some window/windscreen revisions also - and to be honest was hoping to avoid doing a full detail exposed engine (again) - which is where we're at if I go for what I think is the best documented.

I want to carve the front end tonight, because I've been over-thinking this for about two weeks now...

So it may be a matter of (Eagle)rock paper scissors...  :-)

Tim
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2807 on: July 11, 2020, 08:03:45 AM »

Do you have any documentation of the color scheme of either of the versions. If you have both I would pick the most appealing and go with that engine detail. Afterall these are supposed to be "Scale Models" so it's no good worrying over engine detail if the more noticeable color scheme is wrong. Another approach would be to make a "replica" of Walt's model!  Surely your newly exposed engine building skills should be on display once again.
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2808 on: July 12, 2020, 05:56:04 AM »

Hi Dave - good points. WM says he was unable to find any colour reference. But he had 'a nice sheet of red tissue' and thought he'd use that! So you are right - I could do a replica that was faithful to this. I also have found no other colour reference what-so-ever apart for the two B&W photos. The Packard diesel looks like it might be white all over. But could be cream or metallic silver. The Kinner engined version looks like it has the same colour wings - which might be white/cream/silver. But a very dark fuselage which could be black or any really dark colour. In the end the Packard version requires some extensive fuselage rebuild so in the absence of any firm colour info I'm going with  the Kinner version which I think I'll do in a sort of monochrome black/white scheme to match the pics.

Thanks for your faith in my engine building ability. Exposed engine it will be!

Tim

Tim
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2809 on: July 13, 2020, 04:37:03 AM »

I think the Mooney A-1 will look great however you finish it, Tim. Like so many other WM subjects, it’s got bags of character.

Finally got the Beaver flying the other way at Lodge Farm yesterday. Big thanks to Bill for encouraging me not to settle for the left hand pattern. Also to Ivan Taylor who suggested using thrustline adjustment and nothing else to set the turn (once it’s gliding straight).
Got some quite nice flights and it no longer needs any gurneys, tip weight or other paraphernalia on the wings.
It wasn’t bad flying weather yesterday but with some turbulence and gusts, so its best flights were in the calm spells. Naturally I failed to video those ones. However, this one shows it going right and getting some decent height. It liked the new smaller prop. I added a loop of 1/8 to the motor too.
https://youtu.be/lBJC4kwMOvU
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2810 on: July 13, 2020, 06:44:17 AM »

Pete,
        A definite improvement and it look stable with lots of height. Was the glide a bit straight because it seemed to open out as the motor ran down. I do like the long grass.
Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2811 on: July 13, 2020, 07:07:21 AM »

Thanks Ricky. Yes, glide nice and straight, so really just the thrustline holding the turn now. Grass not really as long as it looked; just a few wispy long bits with rock hard earth underneath!  
As I said, that flight wasn't the best though, just the best that I filmed. I got a steadier circle and a shorter retrieval walk on one or two of the others.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2812 on: July 13, 2020, 11:11:22 AM »

The August issue of AM has landed and there are some pretty pictures in it.  Turn to page 52.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2813 on: July 14, 2020, 09:31:15 PM »

The Beaver is flying well now Peter. Congratulations. You may need a DT!

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2814 on: July 15, 2020, 04:25:55 AM »

Thanks John. I suspect a tree will get it before a thermal does, but we’ll see.

The August issue of AM has landed and there are some pretty pictures in it.  Turn to page 52.
Yes, arrived nice and early this month. Apologies to those whose model pictures didn’t get in, especially as there’s lots of blank page space at the top where I’d have thought more photos could’ve fitted nicely. Also, in my blurb it now says the models shown are my “personal favourites” whereas what I actually wrote was that they were “some of the many delights created.”
Still, that’s the editor’s licence I guess and I’m not really complaining. In fact I think Andrew Boddington did the cook-up proud.
While I’m here, just a reminder that I’ll post the lists one more time on Friday, so if anyone else wants the yellow highlighter treatment they’ll need to get a wriggle on.
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2815 on: July 15, 2020, 05:44:38 AM »

Hi Pete - thanks for the update. Looks like the Mooney A-1 will miss the Friday yellow highlighter deadline - but be assured that slow progress is occurring. Some evidence attached. Pleased to hear about coverage in AeroModeller. I get my copies somewhat delayed from the local newsagent - presumably they come Kontiki-style via balsa wood raft. My latest copy also pictured - but no spoilers please - I haven't read this one yet!
cheers
Tim

Tim
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2816 on: July 15, 2020, 06:05:09 AM »

Don't think I've got that copy yet! But I got the last of my subscription yesterday and that was the June edition and the day before I read here that the August copy was available in the UK. Oh well! Nice progress on the A1.
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2817 on: July 15, 2020, 06:35:54 AM »

Dave,
        The time for the mail from the UK has become pedestrian to say the least since Covid19. I guess you are trying to figure out what is going on in Victoria and NSW with the latest outbreak in infections. Looks as if it will be  while before we are allowed out.
Ricky 
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2818 on: July 15, 2020, 09:09:16 PM »

Same here Dave. I have just finished reading it Smiley

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2819 on: July 17, 2020, 07:28:36 AM »

Okay, it's time for me to relinquish control of the class now (not that I ever really had any!) so here are the lists for the final time (unless anyone else finishes a model later today). I know there are a lot of models still in the pipeline though so please do continue to update us with progress on this thread.
Thank you everybody once again for making this such fun. I look forward to more flight reports and videos too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:09:20 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #2820 on: July 17, 2020, 08:04:31 AM »

Here's my pitiful progress on the Waco SRE. Unfortunately I've been busier than ever during the lockdown and so unable to do much modelling at all. I have very much enjoyed watching everyone else though. Some inspiring work  Smiley
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #2821 on: July 17, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »

I don't have any pics, but I have been working on getting the Lederlin Flying Flea to fly. I have had to add about 3g of nose weight. A good amount of washout is essential! The model showed some violent tip stalling without it. I removed the outer wing skin on one outer panel of the forward wing and recovered it to get the required washout. On the rear wing, I put some gurney strips on the top of the outer panels. Because of some stalls, I also put some gurney strips on the bottom of the center section of the rear wing. I have only put on about 300 winds with a loop of 1/8 plus a loop of 1/16 to get the right amount of power. What with the windy conditions and some unexpected life events, I haven't had much time to experiment further. The other two models are awaiting some time for testing.
ian
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #2822 on: July 17, 2020, 11:44:34 AM »

Thank you Peter for running the cook-up. I look forward to when ever the next chance comes along. This is really a fun focused approach. Glad to take part.   Allen
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2823 on: July 20, 2020, 06:13:05 AM »

Great flight Pete. I hope others will continue to post progress and flights from time to time. Re Mooney A-1 - given lack of colour documentation - I thought I might go old-school b&w for the covering phase. So far so good.
cheers
Tim

Tim
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2824 on: July 21, 2020, 01:23:10 AM »

Thanks for organising and running this Pete.

John
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115   Go Up
Print
Jump to: