Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 08, 2020, 03:55:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020  (Read 10166 times)
Pete Fardell, Russ Lister, Bryanair, bjrn, Squirrelnet and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
kkphantom
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »

Martynk,

Go for it with the Baby Ace, I'm doing the plan version with fully cowled engine, I'll leave the Piper front end to you! Wink

Gary
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2020, 08:55:03 AM »

Okay- a new page so here's the new list. (Martyn, if you decide while I can still edit this post I'll add you to the bottom. Otherwise I'll just put you on the next update.)

1. Castaibert IV (Newbie John)     
2. Graham White Bantam (Squirrelnet)
3. Waco SRE (Yak 52)
4. Miles Sparrowhawk (Andy Blackburn)
5. Gee Bee Model D (John Bowerman)
6. Thulin K (cvasecuk)
7. Stahlwerk Mark RIIIb (RalphS)
8. PA-22 Piper Colt (DaleH)
9. Embraer Impanema (steve h)
10. Corby Starlet CJ-1 (SP250)
11. Siemens Schukert E.1 (Russ Lister)
12. Chiribiri NÂș5 (TheLurker)
13. Pilatus PC-6 Porter floatplane (Jack Plane)
14. Wittman V-Witt racer (Mark Braunlich)
15. Morane Saulnier MS-50C (ffscale)
16. Andreasson BA-4B (FLYACE1946)
17. Demoiselle (Pete Fardell)
18. Weick W1-A (g_kandylakis)
19. Udet Flamingo (Crabby)
20. Heinkel 71A (OZPAF)
21. Wittman Tailwind  (Laurence Marks)
22. Bucker Jungman (Chris H)
23. Monocoupe 110 (flydean1)
24. Saiman 200 (Tim Horne)
25. Piper Super Cruiser (tross)
26. Druine Turbulent (bobson)
27. Verville Air Coach (billdennis747)
28. Miles Sparrowhawk (DHnut)
29. Speed Spitfire (vintagemike)
30. Farman Mosquito (Graham Banham)
31. Gee Bee Model D (mescal1)
32. Avro 534 Baby (Rhys)
33. Euler D2 (pete n pugs)
34. Viri, Finnish homebuilt (THB)
35. Upton Baby Ace (kkphantom)

steve h
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »

Thanks for the help Andy
I think I will copy picture 1 as this will make the covering straightforward
Cheers
Steve
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:26 PM »

Oh blimey, I've been self-isolating from this thread for fourteen days, and I still get the Mooneyvirus! I may have caught it from this wash of warm dry air from the continent. Weather beautiful after many months of filthy yuk.

Jungmann. My first choice was the Laird Speedwing but there is no reference to this on the net. Solution, Super Solution, Laird this and that, but no LC-DE, so it's the Jungmann, 13" span.

This is a bit strange to me - haven't built this kind of a model since another cookup, Andrew Darby's Elf cookup from back in the dark ages.

Stephen.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »

My first choice was the Laird Speedwing but there is no reference to this on the net. Solution, Super Solution, Laird this and that, but no LC-DE
Stephen, info is certainly sparse, but I wouldn't say there's none at all. Here for instance: https://corescholar.libraries.wright.edu/special_ms223_photographs/478/
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »

Thanks Pete, I had the same trouble as Stephen. It is a few days I am thinking around the Speedwing LC-DE but was put off by the lack of at least ONE picture. I am not a scale modeller, but at least a rough picture to immagine a decent decoration  Wink  So your pic shows the simplest of all solution, all white, only a few red stripes, go for the Speedwing !

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2020, 03:18:15 PM »

Peeps, I think I might just be the only person to be combining two Walt Mooney designs of the same subject into one model!  

His 24" design of the Pilatus Porter gives the option of floats (with the earlier non-turbo nose), whereas his 16" version (also shorter nose but land-plane only) is a nicer and slightly more accurate design, and the size which I really want to make as it can (eventually) be flown indoors as well as out.

So I've borrowed the float details from the bigger version and shrunk them to 70% which is spot on for the smaller version!

Still going electric albeit with the Voodoo 25 rather than 45 twin, and will be concocting narrow wheels to fit into the floats for indoor "ROW"

Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:33:35 PM by Jack Plane » Logged
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »

Good plan Jon. Loving the open nature of this cook up and the huge range of designs it has spawned from Edwardian to present day,  so a mash up of two design's - why not

We should probably stick to mash up's of the same prototype, I'm not sure the thread could with stand a Demoiselle-Gee Bee franken-model  Huh
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2020, 05:00:47 PM »

Peeps, I think I might just be the only person to be combining two Walt Mooney designs of the same subject into one model!  
Excellent out-of-the-box thinking, that man!

Good plan Jon. Loving the open nature of this cook up and the huge range of designs it has spawned from Edwardian to present day,  so a mash up of two design's - why not
We should probably stick to mash up's of the same prototype, I'm not sure the thread could with stand a Demoiselle-Gee Bee franken-model  Huh
Would be interesting! ... Maybe you're right though.

(And Lurks, I realise the word 'Chiribirilacey' has just popped into your head. The answer is still NO.)
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »

I am currently building a 2X Walt Mooney Peanut Embraer Impanema.  I see someone else on this thread is already building the Peanut version.  Do the rules of this cook-up allow two different people to build the same airplane?

The projected wing span of my enlarged version is 25 1/2-inches. I built 1/8-inches of wash-out into each wing tip.

The completed model will have a removable wing and removable landing gear, for ease of transport.

At this time I am planning on using an 8-inch GG prop assembly.  I might go to the 9 1/2 inch GG prop assembly if I need more nose weight.  Then again, after sheeting the nose with 1/32-inch sheet balsa wood I may have to go to a carved balsa wood prop to get the CG in the correct location.

The weight of the bones of my 2X version as shown is 19.26 grams.  That includes the weight of the Scotch brand tape holding the tail feathers together. It also includes 3.46 grams for the laminated nose block.

I am hoping the final weight (without rubber) is 55 grams or less.

This 2X Peanut model is of course for outdoor flying only.

I am also attaching a copy of a picture of an actual Embraer Ipanema.  I don't know why the latter name is misspelled on the Walt Mooney plan as "Impanena."  Could this be a play on words - Imp meaning "small"?

Who knows what rules I may have broken in this cook-up but she should be a good flier.  I am a little concerned that the wing and stab are so close together that trimming might be a challenge. The picture of the assembled bones makes the wing and stab look farther apart than they really are.  In other words, the tail moment is relatively short.  I guess I have been building and flying too many F1G, P-30 and OTR models and not many low wing scale models.

Walt Mooney was a member of my flying club but he was no longer around when I joined.  He was quite a prolific designer. Most of his plans appear to be for Peanut scale models.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:26:55 PM by calgoddard » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2020, 05:17:14 PM »

I am currently building a 2X Walt Mooney Embraer Impanema.  I see someone else on this thread is already building the Peanut version.  Do the rules of this cook-up allow two different people to build the same airplane?
Who knows what rules I may have broken in this cook-up but she should be a good flier.  
There is only one rule ("Build a model from any Walt Mooney plan and share your progress on here") and you certainly haven't broken it! Welcome to the cook-up; I'll add you to the list. I really like this plane too.  I think 2X peanut  is a very good idea for many subjects. Thanks for the name clarification btw (although now of course now we've all got 'The Girl from Ipanema' going around in our heads for the rest of the evening!)
DaleH
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2020, 05:46:09 PM »

Walt Mooney was a member of my flying club but he was no longer around when I joined.  He was quite a prolific designer. Most of his plans appear to be for Peanut scale models.  

The reason so many were peanut scale is that for years Walt did a monthly peanut plan for the centre page of Model Builder magazine. A few were even designed from his bed during a hospital stay. I remember buying every issue and flipping right to the centre section to see what goodie was inside that month. I have every issue here...somewhere.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2020, 05:56:54 PM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
(And Lurks, I realise the word 'Chiribirilacey' has just popped into your head. The answer is still NO.)
Curses! Foiled again! *mutters* If it wasn't for that pesky....

Fallen at the first hurdle here.  Did want to have a go at proper spoked wheels, but the Chiribiri's wheels are only a smidge over 3/4" and after sketching up the wheel and hub dimensions this evening I came to the conclusion that pieces that small & fine for a first attempt would be beyond me so spent the rest of the session trying various approaches based on a plastic disc.  Think I have a workable solution for a 16 spoke radial lacing (i.e. non-crossed) wheel that will pass the 4' test.  Balsa tyres, plastic disc with 8 button thread spokes a side with the threads providing additional support for the axle tube.  The prototype, see pic, which will be binned because it's as rough as old boots, comes in at 0.25g and is pleasingly robust. Need to sort out a jig so that I can get the spoke alignment a little less... brownian.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »

I will put my hand up for a Peris JN-1 although the build is unlikely to be as quick as some other people.

I intend to put the original plan into a CAD file so that I can check it for symmetry errors and any other issues. Will probably move the rubber peg forward a bit and will probably use a Rees style wing structure because it has worked well for me on other models. I have some 0.5mm Depron that is already curved so it may be suitable for a little bit of LE sheeting.

The area of fuselage at the rear of the cockpit is a little tricky because the plan shows cracked longerons and the 'crack line' of the upper and lower longerons is not perpendicular to the axis of the fuselage. Obviously a jig assembly is needed.

Once I get the plan into CAD, I will decide what size I will build, peanut, bostonian or 1/20 which will make the wingspan 18".

I live alone so the project will have fit into housework, continuing work on the Guillows Bf 109 D project and other stuff.

Paul

Edit: Also I make my undercarriages removable to simplify covering.
Rhys
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2020, 10:46:23 PM »

Greetings,

Is anyone familiar with the emblem emblazoned on the rudder of this Avro 534 Baby? It resembles the Avro symbol but only by the "wings".
Apologies for the poor images but they are the best I could locate.
Thanks,

Rhys

(Hopeful the pics come through)
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2020, 11:40:45 PM »

I'd love to see a Gee Bee R-1/BiCh-3 mashup, but I don't think Mooney did a plan for either one. I suppose the BiCh-17 comes pretty close, but I don't think there's a Mooney plan for that, either. Bok 5 and?
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: March 26, 2020, 01:46:58 AM »

Hey team looks like I could be on Home Detention here for the next 4-8 weeks - Mint!

If it's not too late to join this happy throng I'll go with a 2x Corby Starlet.  John Corby is still going strong and every year when I compete in Australia I promise him I can get a rubber powered version to fly.

Probably a good time to put money where mouth is!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2020, 03:10:38 AM »

If it's not too late to join this happy throng...

No, sorry Mike, I'm afraid we're full up...  there's been a bit of panic-joining you see, and...

... oh... okay then, but you'd better be quick !

Grin
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: March 26, 2020, 03:39:09 AM »

Is anyone familiar with the emblem emblazoned on the rudder of this Avro 534 Baby? It resembles the Avro symbol but only by the "wings".
Apologies for the poor images but they are the best I could locate.

Here's a better photo Rhys. It bears the legend JJS on the shield. This is Bert Hinkler's original aircraft so maybe the emblem is something to do with Bert rather than the aircraft ?

There's a bio of Bert Hinkler here http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/bert_hinkler_bio.html

It appears from this that a JJ Smith owned the aircraft after Bert sold it in the 1930's. I would guess the emblem is his Huh

Edit - This is from the Bio

Hinkler returned to England, the Baby was sold in Sydney and re-registered G-AUCQ. It was flown for a time on floats and later sold to a Melbourne owner before passing to J.J. Smith in 1930 and again re-registered as VH-UCQ. Last flown in 1936 the aircraft was stored until acquired by the Queensland museum in 1970 and restored as G-AUCQ, then in 1972 as G-EACQ and is now displayed below Hinkler's Avro Avian, in which he eventually made his UK to Australia flight
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2020, 03:46:25 AM »

Thanks for that Pete (and for the thread incidentally Smiley ).  I've already started down the Jungmann path though - last evening I got the rib-mill churning. I have a couple of pics, less than 400Kb, but can't post them for some reason. Perhaps they were caught by the 'Too Boring' filter?

Stephen.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2020, 04:07:50 AM »

The Sparrowhawk is underway with the side frames on the board drying overnight. Our first day of lockdown and the level of compliance is high. The usual group who do not yhink it applies to them. Hopwe to see the tail group and wings done tomorrow. Photos tomorrow.
Ricky 
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2020, 05:18:29 AM »

My chosen aircraft is the C.A.B. GY 20 Minicab  I chose it because I just happen to know the owner Roger Smith and I once sat in the pilot's seat!  I've enlarged the plan from 20" to 25" wingspan.  I have another French aircraft - the Earl Stahl Caudron Cyclone to finish first.  When this Corona virus is all over do we think that a mass fly-in at Old Warden or elsewhere would be a good idea?
Bryan
Just bumping this up so I can apologise to Bryan for somehow missing him off the list. Sorry, Bryan- you'll be added in at no. 34 just below the pete n pugs Euler D.
Meanwhile, I hope to post a pic of the Demoiselle's basic fus. frame later. Ok, so it's only 3 long sticks and a few short ones, but it'll still represent progress of a sort.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 45

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2020, 05:39:06 AM »

Weick fuselage proceeding slowly, later in the day some pictures will follow...

In the meantime I cut the wing ribs, to have handy if I get stuck with the fuselage.

Individually cut using a ply template, then stacked together for some light sanding to make them uniform.

Having the rib block at hand, I could not help making two lightening holes...

scale free flight & micro RC
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 72

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2020, 05:44:59 AM »

Look forward to it Pete ... have you seen the 'modern construction' replica before? It was visiting Old Warden a few years back ... the trailer for it was parked around the back by the camping toilets! The modern construction gives it a look not dissimilar to a micro light of this era.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2020, 05:51:55 AM »

No, I haven't a replica one in the flesh I don't think. I've loved the Demoiselle since first seeing the Mag Men film and I agree, it's basically a modern microlight many decades ahead of its time!

George- if anyone ever shows us a tidier, cleaner, crisper stack of ribs on this cook-up I'll be very surprised! That's quite a chubby section though isn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: