Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 30, 2020, 12:50:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020  (Read 5773 times)
Don McLellan, kkphantom, nickpepp and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »

OK,  So I've got a really sweet local subject.  Just need to work out how I can get a plan at the right size while on home detention - Hmmm.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020
malc
Silver Member

Kudos: 13

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2020, 07:22:22 PM »

Malc, gladly, but 543 or 534?

Pete, I do not get you... How did you manage to transform a trapezoidal fuselage into a triangular one, is beyond me, probably higher mathematics to discuss with Pythagoras  Grin

Years ago I built the Demoiselle as a peanut, it is a very light model since there is so little wood and so little covering. Forget the Telco, it would be an overkill. I would go for the Brown A-23 or Gasparin G-24 or 43, if you have them or can find them...

George

Haha, thanks! Yes you are right 534.

So I had better post the result of this evenings work.
All ribs cut, and fuz sides done.
As Mr Mooney said in the build notes his came out very tail heavy, I thought I would provide a second motor peg one bay forward.

Malc.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:36:53 PM by malc » Logged
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 77

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »

Avro 543 or 534..... easy mistake.  The 543 is the two-seater Baby, no Mooney plan though.

Mark
DaleH
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2020, 08:56:45 PM »

Just a very quick progress update on the Colt. The fuselage is coming together with the 1/16 sheeting, balsa cheek pieces, and bottom planking now added to the cowl area.  The nose block is shaped up and the Gizmo Geezer prop assembly is a good fit in it. The photo also shows the main landing gear "sandwich" and the carb inlet fairing glued up. It'll eventually go on the bottom of the fuselage with the nose gear strut protruding from it.

I've really been enjoying seeing all the other models coming together. I've already picked out a few that are now on my "to build" list.

Remember, let's be careful out there!

Dale
Rhys
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: March 26, 2020, 10:29:19 PM »

Thanks for the kind response,  squirrelnet. That makes things a lot clearer and more understandable. Funny, I remember seeing that pic now that you posted it. but apparently failed to save to my hardrive... lol.

Malc,
Nice to see someone else doing the Avro. I'm hoping to get it done on time as the more I review the documentation, the more needs to be done. An amusing note, I also enlarged my plans when printing them Tuesday. It appears, when I put in the zoom factor of 200% for the PDF, it too measured to 18" span  Shocked  Totally coincidental. I do so look forward to your build!

Cheers,
Rhys
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:02:25 PM by Rhys » Logged
nickpepp
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2020, 08:26:33 AM »

I heard about this cook-up from Andy Blackburn's Trinity newsletter and I think I've got another one! Just started building a Dornier Libelle, which is Peanut sized flying boat for CO2 or rubber from the February 79 Model Builder. Walt appears to have used a Brown .005, but I'm going to fit a Campus A23. I have been meaning to build a new CO2 model for a little while as I have been writing about these motors in the New Clarion (www.sam1066.org)

Keep building,
Nick
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2020, 09:13:46 AM »

One is puzzled.  I had planned to cover the Chiribiri with white tissue as an approximation to clear-doped linen, but the photos that George shared show it had a very dark dope finish at some point in its life.   Any experts on early 20th century aircraft able to suggest a likely colour? I'd settle for a colour that's not anachronistic even if it isn't a likely one.

By the by, Wikipaedia says only one No. 5 was built, but the pictures show two different company designations on the fin.  Anyone know if more than one No. 5 was built or is this just the usual tweaking of stuff through the life of the machine?
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: March 27, 2020, 10:02:21 AM »

I've been unable to post pictures for some reason so I haven't posted my progress either (stop those ironic cheers in the back there). I made the wingribs on the same day as joining this upcook and assembled the first wing this morning. Although this isn't a research project for me, I did notice that some Jungmann examples have curved wingtips, and that the tips cant up, not down. I incorporated this in the wing I made, but I'm not quite happy with it - I think the ribs need to be respaced to cater for the new tip. I think I'll treat this as a practise wing. Now I know what to do, the four final wing panels should come together at the speed of light (approximately).

The ribs are 0.5mm medium C-grain. The laminations are 4x 0.3mm strips fixed with CA. The last pic is a general aerial photograph of the Jungmann-werke gmbh.

Stephen.

Goody, the pics have uploaded OK this time.

PPS, Urs, I've just read your post Smiley. I did hear you, only it was too late, I'd already started on the Jungmann. . .the Speedwing picture Pete posted is the only one I found on the net - I think Pete's "for example" is the example! Note that it appears to have no cowl blisters.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:13:14 AM by Prosper » Logged
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2020, 10:12:51 AM »

Hello Nick, it's nice to be able to welcome you to Hip Pocket! You know who I am (I guess) and you'll see Ray and Don on here as well. It's a pity the lunch was cancelled, but we'll get together in due course.

Cheers
Peter T
martynk
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: March 27, 2020, 10:14:23 AM »

A little more progress this morning. Spars added and a start made on the tailplane.

A question for the experts here. My plan comprises of 2 sheets A4 tile printed and joined with cellotape. No creases. A covering of cling film and then pinned down to a plasterboard building board. However the plan never stays flat. How do you keep your lightweight builds down on a plan that floats? I have so many pins and blocks I don't have enough space to cut the tailplane ribs to size.

--
Martyn
Dunc
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:24 AM »

Am I too late to join the party? I'll bring a bottle of malt!
Its taken me ages to choose a plan and get my printer to work correctly but I'm there now.
I've chosen Walts ITOH 62-160. It fitted with my self imposed criteria of a larger wingspan than my Centennial and also has the article from model airplane news, which wil be helpful to a noob like me.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 128

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »

Not too late at all, and nice choice! (44 bottles of malt though please or someone's going to be disappointed. Good luck getting those through the checkout these days!)
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2020, 10:55:06 AM »

However the plan never stays flat. How do you keep your lightweight builds down on a plan that floats?

I use pieces of masking tape, about 1" square applied to the corners and midway and then push small plastic headed pins through to fix the first corner, then stretch and second and subsequent pins until the clingfilm is flat.  You have to take care when joining tiled drawings that you don't fix a bulge in the join.  If you have a bulge then cut and rejoin plan.  

Ralph
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2020, 11:31:51 AM »

Okay, so; Executive summary: Wing is now done and (somehow) weighs a little less than a gram; this was unexpected, but I'll take it.

Detail is on the thread in the Peanuts section (see https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=24756.msg255546#msg255546)

A.
Andy Blackburn
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2020, 11:38:18 AM »

The tail and fin/rudder are each about 5mm too large, so deciding on whether to reduce to scale or not before commencing build.  
Got to think of the static points now!

Surely you'll gain more from a 3D pilot (3 points) than from scale tail surfaces, as a "reasonable enlargement" will only lose you 1 point? This is peanut after all, and I'm sure it says somewhere that no measurements will be taken. A 5mm enlargement doesn't sound unreasonable to me...

A.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2020, 12:04:25 PM »

Andy
5mm doesn't sound much but when you put the plan and full size plans 3-view together, it sticks out a mile (well 5mm).
If I could get the pic attachment thing to work, I would show a pic, but gave up after the 3rd try.
Better things to do than F about with IT stuff.
Will start to clear a space, pin down plans and cut wood this weekend.
Dunc
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2020, 12:13:38 PM »

Not too late at all, and nice choice! (44 bottles of malt though please or someone's going to be disappointed. Good luck getting those through the checkout these days!)

Haha yea getting IN the supermarket is also a trial. I brew my own beer so I'll bring that instead.

Glad I'm not too late, progress to follow.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »

My progress report as well.

But first, a big congrats to Pete for gathering nearly 50 entries with his idea. Not that there wasn't anything else to do, but this sure is more fun. I wonder what the total entry number will be...

To the Weick...

Fuselage or pod (as Walt more correctly calls it), som more formers added, making it look like something. Still plenty to do, plus start thinkin about CO2 installation, Ideally I would like to have everything removable, in case of... A-23 it is, as I slowly see the model in real size, should be enough.

Started with the wing ang got most of it done, except wingtips which are being laminated as we speak. Yes, quite a thick airfoil, courious how it will work in flight. But plenty of time for that...

A small tip, in case somebody finds it useful. I imagine my obsession with dimension accuracy is a known fact by now. 1.2mm is different than 1.25mm for example  Grin.
For the laminations I have 0.83mm basswood sticks, I wanted 0,75mm. A simple jig, wide enough for the strips, with two 0,65mm ply pieces glued as guides and height spacers. Add two layers of scoth tape (0.05mm each) and you have a jig for accurately sanding down the strips. Note that you keep the jig and the sandpaper together and pull the stick along the grove. Rotate accordingly until you have an even result (0.73mm in my case). As I said, if anybody needs it...

scale free flight & micro RC
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2020, 01:10:41 PM »

A small tip, in case somebody finds it useful. I imagine my obsession with dimension accuracy is a known fact by now. 1.2mm is different than 1.25mm for example  Grin.
For the laminations I have 0.83mm basswood sticks, I wanted 0,75mm. A simple jig, wide enough for the strips, with two 0,65mm ply pieces glued as guides and height spacers on a thicker base. Add two layers of scoth tape (0.05mm each) and you have a jig for accurately sanding down the strips. Note that you keep the jig and the sandpaper together and pull the stick along the grove. No wear on the spacers...

Flip and rotate the strips accordingly until you have an even result (0.73mm in my case). As I said, if anybody needs it...

scale free flight & micro RC
martynk
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2020, 01:16:41 PM »

However the plan never stays flat. How do you keep your lightweight builds down on a plan that floats?

I use pieces of masking tape, about 1" square applied to the corners and midway and then push small plastic headed pins through to fix the first corner, then stretch and second and subsequent pins until the clingfilm is flat.  You have to take care when joining tiled drawings that you don't fix a bulge in the join.  If you have a bulge then cut and rejoin plan.  

Ralph

Thanks Ralph

I am pretty careful when joining, it seems flat but I'll follow your instructions

--
Martyn
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »

The SM R111-b (note abbreviated name - too long to write every time) is coming along.  I am not intending to fly in competitions so am keeping it simple and in line with the original plan.

The pictures show the progress today.  Fin and stab framed up.  Only need the edges rounding off before covering.  The fuselage structure is nice and simple.  The wings are now being built.  I discovered that the lower surface camber of the ribs matched my old cambered Coupe wing building form so I have used that. (Less likely to break a rib or two when fitting the two top surface wing spars.) I dont have 1/16" diameter hardwood for the LE so I am using hard balsa 1/16" square set diamond fashion into the rib front end.  So much for building as per WM's plan.  The wing will have to come off the cambered building board to fit the 1/8" square tips.  So far so good.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2020, 02:43:34 PM »

Some rather impressive models starting to appear already out of the balsa so eager not get left behind, today I made a proper start with a fuselage side.

Hope to get some proper workshop time tomorrow

ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2020, 02:54:16 PM »

In terms of keeping the plan flat these days I seldom build on a plan.  I draw the bare bones direct on my board and just cover with plastic wrap.  Take most wings for example  all you need is a straight line and 90 degree droppers for where your ribs go.  
TE goes where the ribs end! Also these days of printers an photocopiers I regard them as very disposable.   Cut the bit out you want to build.  Very easy to keep flat if you're just dealing with a tailplane for example.   Tape or glue stick to board.   Job done!
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2020, 03:01:14 PM »

Martynk, I use to lightly spray the back of the plan with either 3M 77, 3M Spraymount or a similar sticky spray. After 5 minutes I apply it to the building board and be assured it remains flat  Grin

Afterwards I cover either the full drawing with large, transparent adhesive tape or, if I dont find the large tape in the mess, with a small one (19mm) along the glue points like rib-trailing edge, spars or rib-leading edge.

The pic shows also the first few steps made on the Laird Speedwing, fuselage crutch, slowly, slowly, but we will have a lot of time at home.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2020, 03:03:56 PM »

Some people are finding it more difficult to get their materials and on another site have suggested using the scraps from other projects in a cook-up. So, in that spirit, I am going to attempt to use the wood from a Guillows Jetfire glider kit that I had on hand to build a Mooney plan, the Hollandair Ha-001 libel which was designed for the Miami peanut rules of the time. The aircraft was designed as a spray aircraft, but didn't succeed, so it was re-engined and used for towing banners. I boiled the wing, which had dihedral in it, and pinned it to dry flat. Then I stripped the various sized pieces out of the wing to 1/16 x 1/20. The rest of the wing will be used for ribs. I stripped some of the fuselage to use for the wing LE, but there was a lot of scrap as I worked around the grain direction and the placement of the holes. We will see how it works out.
ian
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: