Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 13, 2020, 09:41:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020  (Read 40231 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2750 on: June 27, 2020, 05:49:24 PM »

Thanks Ricky. The 10.5” prop it’s been using is already smaller than a third of the 37” span then, so maybe I’ll stick with it. I’ve used Derek’s thrust button before (in my Eindecker) but did find it fiddly to adjust and it was hard to stop it shifting between trimming flights.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2751 on: June 27, 2020, 07:29:33 PM »

Pete,
        That sounds good for prop dia. I had assumed a x 2 scale up not almost 3. The thrust races I was refering to were the top hat shaped ones that fit into a sleeve in the noseblock. It allows the prop to sit on the front faceand needs no washers. The come in 3 colours white , blue and orange for various wire sizes. The sleeve needs about a 10 mm hole. They are very free running.
I have just done a calculation using the McComb formula and it comes out a 9.5 " this shows the effect of a high aspect ratio wing and is the weakness of using the span only. The McComb book is my go to as it give practical advice backed with sufficient formula that are easy to use.
Ricky 
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2752 on: June 27, 2020, 10:28:37 PM »

Amen to the McCombs book.  Transformed my scale models, and helps guide my duration models.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #2753 on: June 28, 2020, 05:48:29 AM »

Good day.  I have my begging bowl out.  Has anyone got a complete copy of WM's build notes/article for his peanut Microplano Veloz they could let me have a copy of? 

There is a scanned copy of the July '73 issue of Model Builder in the gallery, but it seems to be missing some pages* including the continuation of the Veloz article.

Lurk.

*It seems to be missing pp32-34 inc.
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2754 on: June 28, 2020, 06:24:15 AM »

Hey Lurk - can't help sorry - but very happy about seeing you build one if that is the plan??  Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #2755 on: June 28, 2020, 06:41:46 AM »

Good day.  I have my begging bowl out.  Has anyone got a complete copy of WM's build notes/article for his peanut Microplano Veloz they could let me have a copy of? 

There is a scanned copy of the July '73 issue of Model Builder in the gallery, but it seems to be missing some pages* including the continuation of the Veloz article.

Lurk.

*It seems to be missing pp32-34 inc.
Scroll all the way to the back of the magazine pdf. The plan itself is scanned as a single 11" x 17" page, and your missing article page is there.  Most of the MB issues are scanned this way, to keep from splitting up the centerfold plan
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2756 on: June 28, 2020, 06:57:30 AM »

Hey Lurk - can't help sorry - but very happy about seeing you build one if that is the plan??  Tim
Yes, going to have a bash.  Not likely to be starting any time soon though.  Need to transcribe the plan to SVG and jiggle it a bit so that it's suitable for printing at home on A4 and there are a couple of other projects* sitting on the shelf that I want to have a go at first.

Quote from: Indoorflyer
Scroll all the way to the back of the magazine...
Ohhh dear.  Thanks.  I had done that but still managed to miss it.  Perhaps I ought to book that appointment at the opticians? Smiley 

*Excluding the dread redecoration. 
alfakilo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #2757 on: June 28, 2020, 12:27:40 PM »

Amen to the McCombs book.  Transformed my scale models, and helps guide my duration models.

Not available on Amazon. Anyone have a source?
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 103

Ignore
« Reply #2758 on: June 28, 2020, 01:26:26 PM »

AK,

It's still advertised for sale in the NFFS Journal - here's the ad from an issue I received last week.

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020
alfakilo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #2759 on: June 28, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »

AK,

It's still advertised for sale in the NFFS Journal - here's the ad from an issue I received last week.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've sent an e-mail.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2760 on: June 29, 2020, 02:27:04 PM »

The Lark has been Peck'd.  Via aggressive scraping on the prop and a little judicious trimming on the noseblock I was able to keep the front end within a tenth of a gram going from the built-up prop (including nose ballast) to the heavier plastic prop.  CG balance is within 1/16" with the new prop despite the weight being a bit more forward.  Forecast for Saturday looks promising - if holiday plans don't conflict I hope to get it in the air then.  The Peck prop does give it a more classic Peanut look...

Mike
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #2761 on: June 29, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »

That looks nice!  Would that be the 4.75" dia. Peck?
MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2762 on: June 29, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »

That looks nice!  Would that be the 4.75" dia. Peck?

Thanks - yes.

Mike
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2763 on: June 29, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »

I really liked the hand made prop, but I think that one might look even better somehow. It just blends with the spinner.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #2764 on: June 29, 2020, 04:05:39 PM »

Hi Mike!  Congratulations on winning   Shocked   the coveted "Golden Rib" trophy of the 2020 Walt Mooney Peanut Cookup.   And that beautiful Lark looks even better with that new prop.    And thanks for your enthusiasm for the hobby too.    Cheesy    And thanks for your many flight videos!   Cool

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2765 on: June 30, 2020, 07:36:19 AM »

The Peck prop does give it a more classic Peanut look...

Yep - nothing says Peanut Scale like a 4.75 Peck silver prop. Tho WM did recommend a variety of units including Sleek Streak and laminated wood...

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2766 on: June 30, 2020, 03:07:55 PM »

... very happy about seeing you build one if that is the plan??  Tim
Yes, going to have a bash.
Lurk, let me know if you want the Microplano Veloz added to the cook-up spreadsheet. It doesn’t matter if it’s not started yet, it’d still be another of his designs on the list.

Tried a bit of tentative warp removal on the Beaver’s left wing. Two bits of straight wood clothes-pegged onto the TE overnight (pic)...
The result? No dicernable difference at all!  Grin
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #2767 on: June 30, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »

If you want to bite the bullet, wrap a panel in layers of teatowel, pour on nearly-boiling water, leave it 5 mins, unwrap, pin it flat for an eon. It might play hell with any decals etc but it will be flat and will stay so.
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2768 on: June 30, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »

I had good luck treating control line planes covered with tissue and silk as if it was monocoat.  Dope, once it has off gassed is a plastic after all.  That worked well on those types of planes but most of them had 4 or 5 coats of dope not the one light coat that most stick and tissue planes have. might be worth a try.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2769 on: June 30, 2020, 04:32:31 PM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
...if you want the Microplano Veloz added to the cook-up....
Thanks, but I can't see me starting to build this one until some time next year.  However, I will have a cleaned up plan ready within the next few days which I'll post in the Plans Gallery together with a transcript of the accompanying article in case anyone else is interested in having a go for this cook-up.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2770 on: June 30, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »

Pete, I've had good luck using a Monokote-style heat gun to coax warps out of (and into) doped wings and tails.  Mostly done freehand hitting both sides of the structure with the hot air while inducing the desired twist or correction, then holding that for a few moments while it cools.  I have rigged simple jigs when trying to induce washout along the full span of a wing panel - not sure that the jigs helped much but they made me feel better.  

Mike
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2771 on: June 30, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »

I think Pete's problem is that the wing is not twisted, but undulates!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2772 on: June 30, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »

Thanks, Mike and Bill. Yes, it's only really the TE itself that undulates a bit. Maybe my wood selection was at fault.  Anyway, I'm not ready for wet tea towels or heat guns quite yet. There are no slide-on decals on this one though (the markings are all Sharpie pen or acrylic paint) so it'd probably survive your water boarding torture quite well, but I'll fly it again first in case the undulations  work to my advantage. It now has the smaller prop too, and a more right-thrusty noseblock. Tomorrow or Thur I'll give it a go. Bill, if the right hand hand turn plan goes horribly wrong, and it goes dead straight and ends up in a high tree perhaps you wouldn't mind coming and getting it down for me? I'm not great with heights.

Lurk, thanks, that's fine. The cleaned up Veloz plan will be a welcome addition to the gallery. Reckon most of us have looked at doing that one at some point. Personally though, I'm going to finish my VMC Tiggie next. It was furloughed before the lockdown and has been calling to me from its shoe box. Actually seems a bit weird to be moving into a world where I'm not building to a Walt Mooney plan and the pubs are about to open. What's happening?
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #2773 on: June 30, 2020, 09:39:57 PM »

To quote the late lamented Dr. John Martin of Miami Indoor Model Aircraft Association fame, "Leave it in the box for awhile and eventually the warps will go the right way!"
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2774 on: July 01, 2020, 02:25:02 AM »

Bill, if the right hand hand turn plan goes horribly wrong, and it goes dead straight and ends up in a high tree perhaps you wouldn't mind coming and getting it down for me? I'm not great with heights.
Me neither, but you can borrow my poles.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113   Go Up
Print
Jump to: