Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2022, 02:12:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020  (Read 52672 times)
DHnut
Platinum Member

Kudos: 23

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2900 on: March 26, 2022, 04:38:12 AM »

Pete,
        I think your problem with the running backwards may be due to the throttle being set too high. I have had this issue and found reducing the speed setting a very small amont give you more power and consirent starting. I find I have to do motor speed setting at home. It is not easy to do in the field as the movements required are fine. The starting backward is the clue here.
The video looked superb  well done.
Ricky
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2901 on: March 26, 2022, 05:46:03 AM »

Nice work Pete - makes me want to get out that Magnificent Men film. Again.

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 167

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2902 on: March 27, 2022, 05:42:35 PM »

Thanks all. I gave it another go today having fixed the engine back on. I couldn't find any bolts to fit the tiny holes in the backplate so in the end resorted to binding it to its ply mounting with thread. I apologise to all you proper engineers as I'm sure sewing on aeroplane engines is a no-no in the real aviation world. No matter, it worked and didn't fall off today even once.

The weather conditions, however, were not so good. A bit of a breeze and more of a nip in the air than yesterday, so it was hard to get as much power out of the motor, or a consistent launch pattern. At least I hope it was the conditions and not just my incompetence. On the plus side, the Squirrelnet starting tip worked a treat and I had very few reversals this time, so thanks for that, Chris. In fact I eventually got a bit complacent and stopped checking my little thread prop wash indicator resulting in an amusing backwards launch when it finally did go the wrong way!
A real (but modern) microlight flew over the field at one point, which seemed kind of appropriate. I tried to video it but it was too high for my iPhone to capture.

Anyway, here is another bit of model video footage, and also some photos I took properly rather than just screen grabs from the vids. Needless to say, one of the flights when I was taking stills turned out to be one I should have videoed. Not to worry, I'm sure there'll be more. I might wait for more genuine warmth and calmness though before trying again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZ8QxHWsAs
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Walt Mooney Cook-up 2020
Joe H
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2903 on: March 27, 2022, 07:16:15 PM »

Beautiful!  It really floats like a butterfly.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 67

Ignore
« Reply #2904 on: March 28, 2022, 06:49:18 AM »

Lovely, Pete, just the right delicate-looking flight behaviour.

Stephen.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 81

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2905 on: April 07, 2022, 09:16:25 AM »

Looking great, Pete  Smiley

As mentioned in the 'Went Flying' thread, I got the Wittman VW racer ready for flight at Impington last weekend.
It flew straight off the board, but did fly too straight.
I had a few problems along the way but managed a few decent short flights. I think I will have a rethink and trim outside on a calm day.
It survived hitting the furniture well ... still have the bracing wire and the canopy surround to do.

https://youtu.be/KYnb71aHgSM
Gary Dickens
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #2906 on: April 07, 2022, 11:43:25 AM »

Looks great. So it did indeed, fly straight, off the board then.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #2907 on: April 07, 2022, 12:35:18 PM »

With that pilot on board it looks exceptional! Both thumbs up!
ian
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2908 on: April 07, 2022, 01:37:22 PM »

Looks great, Russ. Love the mini Wittman in the cockpit.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #2909 on: April 10, 2022, 04:58:42 AM »

The Chiribiri needs some new fuselage panels, don't ask, you know why, and I note with some concern that I'm down to my last half sheet of "Antique" tissue (Peck IIRC) which I bought from SAMS.  Anyone know of a UK stockist now that SAMS is no more?  A poke around with goggle doesn't turn up anything. I think Peck may be marketing it as "Canvas" now, but I'm not sure about that.

Cheers,
Lurk

Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 81

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2910 on: April 10, 2022, 05:18:18 AM »

I only remember having similar from SAMS as their own 'superlight tissue'. This was back in George's day though so might be something different?
I might have some in my 'stash' as I would usually use Esaki.
Used it on my peanut Pietenpol as I remember.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #2911 on: April 10, 2022, 05:28:32 AM »

I've got quite a few sheets of what may be what you're after. I think it came from SAMS. It's a creamy colour and I would only have bought it for the purpose of a 'linen' aeroplane. It's not Esaki - it's a bit crispy. If you want, I'll post some in an envelope and if it's the same you can have most of the rest (it's rolled)
Bill
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2912 on: April 10, 2022, 10:48:27 AM »

Quote from: billdennis747
I've got quite a few sheets of what may be what you're after. I think it came from SAMS. It's a creamy colour and I would only have bought it for the purpose of a 'linen' aeroplane. It's not Esaki - it's a bit crispy. If you want, I'll post some in an envelope and if it's the same you can have most of the rest (it's rolled)
Bill
That Bill, is extremely kind of you, but please don't leave yourself short.  A couple of sheets folded is absolutely fine, I have (well MrsLurker has) an iron.  At this rate I'm going to owe you a barrel of beer never mind a couple of pints

> It's not Esaki - it's a bit crispy.
Yes, now you point it out I see what you mean.  I hadn't paid much attention to its texture, but it eats scalpel blades like there's no tomorrow.  Used 3 on the tissue for the BE2c's replacement wings.

Cheers,
Lurk
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2913 on: April 17, 2022, 04:41:25 AM »

Well.  Bill goes to the trouble of sending me some of his carefully reserved stock of "Antique" and what do I see less than a week later in AM?  An advert. for "Antique" tissue.  A new line in the Deluxe Materials Eze Tissue range.  Looks promising.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 115

Ignore
« Reply #2914 on: July 29, 2022, 06:49:44 PM »

Took the Keleher Lark to Geneseo NY for the Flying Aces Nationals earlier this month.  I've been struggling with trimming this model, mostly due to inability to make accurate and repeatable thrust adjustments.  Before the meet I cobbled up a screw-actuated two-axis thrust adjuster to replace the slotted bar adjuster I'd originally fitted to the model (pics below).  The new thrust adjuster worked very well.  Over about an hour at the contest I was able to get the model flying reasonably well and put in three official flights, best of which was about 51 seconds.  The model got a perfect static score, but against better-flown twins and biplanes (with corresponding additional bonus points) the final result was 8th place.  No matter - I was quite happy to see the model in the air for the better part of a minute, and really enjoyed the time flying on a beautiful field in great conditions with my son.

Video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTgQxockDbg

I think with a bit more trimming there's more to be had from this model.

BTW, Pat Murray had a Mooney Whitman V that flew incredibly well - had a flight over 8 minutes!  Unfortunately he lost it to a thermal in the Goodyear mass launch.

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #2915 on: July 29, 2022, 07:55:32 PM »

Mike that was a great result for your efforts. So happy for you and Alex. Looks great flying again and really  well done.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 142

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2916 on: July 30, 2022, 11:48:28 AM »

Mike lets have a closer peak at the hook. Its either really different, or I have been hiding under a rock.

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2917 on: July 30, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »

Mike lets have a closer peak at the hook. Its either really different, or I have been hiding under a rock.

Nothing fancy about the hook Crabby - it's Peck's stock "S" hook prop shaft (https://www.wind-it-up.com/collections/prop-shafts-and-bearings/products/pa048?variant=29348769103936).  I add a pack or two of these (and the 3/64" shafts) to the cart each time I make an order from them.

Cheers,

Mike
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 142

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2918 on: July 30, 2022, 02:12:14 PM »

OK my bad. I see it now I have been making those for years. It looks like it has a double loop from the angle in the pic. Great idea buying from peck. Who needs another thing to do, although it is fun (kind of)

The Threadkiller!
Gary Dickens
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #2919 on: July 30, 2022, 02:35:35 PM »

Fun, that is, until you spend a couple of happy hours bending a supply of 's' hooks the wrong way round!

Gary
MKelly
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2920 on: July 30, 2022, 03:08:05 PM »

Fun, that is, until you spend a couple of happy hours bending a supply of 's' hooks the wrong way round!

Gary

Then you're set for twins with counter-rotating propellers...

Mike
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2921 on: August 03, 2022, 11:39:05 AM »

Just great to see it flying like that, Mike! A very worthy winner indeed!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2922 on: August 10, 2022, 01:54:56 PM »

I've already put this video link to Miss Scrumptious's roll in the hay this morning to the 'went flying' thread but thought I'd put it here as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQxabDyuD54
I think she's nearly there if I can just get the trim settings consistent. It seems to need just a little up elevator to get it climbing but I suspect I'm running out of gas again, so the latter flights are probably not as powered up as they should be. I think the plastic prop's going to be better than the repaired wooden one. I might wait for a properly calm day for further attempts. It was still a bit breezy for this model today, although I can't blame the wind for the mishap.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: