Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 31, 2020, 12:59:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Percival P56 Provost in foam  (Read 480 times)
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2020, 10:41:51 AM »

I have enjoyed flying ready made foam r/c models, both indoors and outdoors this last 12 months.  
With the prospect of self-isolation time needing to be filled and having been gifted some foam
sheet I looked around for something interesting to build.  A spare 6 ch Rx allows for aileron control.  
Aileron control expands the range of models that can be flown.  Lunchtimes during my early working years
at Luton Airport gave me many opportunities to see Percival P56 Provosts being developed and test flown.
These were the first "Piston Provost" with the lovely ripping radial noise from the Leonides engine.
So that is my choice.

I looked at the Keilkraft/Albert Hatfull drawing for inspiration but Albert totally messed up the fuselage
shape so that was discounted.  I couldn't find anything better at micro r/c size so armed with downloaded 3 views
I drew my own design with an 18" span. I started this process before the Fardell/Corona cook-up got under way and I have already
selected one of the Walt Mooney designs for the cook-up so have gone from nothing on the building board to 2 models.

My only experience with home made foam models was limited to a r/c disc made from a pizza tray.  Flies well
as long as I don't turn right!  That being the case, any contributions from others who have made and flown
similar size foam models will be welcomed.

I made card templates for the crutch (down Jon), sides and basic formers, wings, tail parts and quickly cut
bits out from 6mm and 3mm foam.  Using pva glue the basic fuselage is going together quickly.  In
my usual way there will be a lot of looking at it and designing as it goes along.

Anyway - it starts here.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Percival P56 Provost in foam
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:02:37 PM »

Ralph, it's looking good, keep up the good work.

Peter
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »

Nice one Ralph - look forward to the gradual 'reveal'....
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:27:30 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement chaps.

So, having printed out my Walt Mooney Stahlwerk R111 plan for Walt Mooney cook-up I have continued with the Provost.  The foam is very low density and it can be cut easily with the trusty Swan Morton blade.  Holes can be punched (twisted really) with my ancient telescopic aerial rescued from my Austin 1100 many years ago.  Plenty of room for the radio and motor.  The 3mm foam is very flexible so that single curvature shapes can be moulded in.  Next job will be to add some strips to the rear fuselage so that a radius can be sanded in to the 4 corners. I will then have to make a vac-forming pattern for the cockpit and forward top coaming and the cowling nose.   

Re: Percival P56 Provost in foam
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 01:28:30 PM »

After the excitement of the Walt Mooney mass-build and the return of much cooler weather it is
back to the foam Provost.  I have never made a model with this sort of foam although I have a
few ARTF foam r/c models and they all fly well. I am using white aliphatic glue to stick things
together.  The foam bends very well, cuts cleanly and sands quickly although it looks as if it will
need some filler before painting.

I had drawn it in CAD and it is easy to "lift" parts and print those to use as patterns when
cutting out.  I started with the fuselage and joined the basic parts.  Then cut out the wing
halves, stab and fin.  The cockpit cover pattern was made from balsa and after a few trial fits
it seemed good enough to pull off a cockpit cover from 10 thou acetate sheet using the homemade
vacuum former.  I put a skirt of D/T fuse (a left over from early days F/F) around the base. 
It is a fairly deep pull and the skirt helps stop air entrapment against the near vertical sides
of the pattern.

The Jedelsky type wing has a hard balsa spar that will support the undercarriage wires.  A second
layer of foam in front of the spar is sanded to an airfoil shape.  I have had a couple of r/c models with
flat 3mm foam wings and they fly okay.

The last picture shows the bits put together.  It is beginning to look like a Provost.  Still some
way to go.
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »

Just a few more pics.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 05:27:28 AM »

That's a nice model Ralph - I like the keel approach. I made a 20" WS scale up of a Boston Observer in depron but it was not as elegant as your build as it was basically just a profile fuselage with a horizontal keel. AUW was around 46g and it used a geared 7mm coreless motor with a GWS 7x5 prop with a 1s 150mah on rudder/elevator. It flew nicely and could be flown free flight. The wing was just a curved piece of 3mm depron.

Good luck with yours.

John
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 03:01:16 PM »

AUW was around 46g and it used a geared 7mm coreless motor with a GWS 7x5 prop with a 1s 150mah on rudder/elevator. It flew nicely and could be flown free flight. The wing was just a curved piece of 3mm depron.
John

Thanks John, your figures give me something to go on.  I am surprised at the light weight of Depron - pity it is no longer available here.
The next big hurdle will be how to get a reasonable airbrushed finish without adding too much weight.  I have seen some nice home brewed scale depron models at the Manchester velodrome meetings, in particular hot moulded Lancaster and Halifax. Looking forward to getting out again.

Ralph
Rhys
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Faithful Wingman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 07:44:00 PM »

Nice build, Ralph. I've always admired those who could manipulate foam in this way. Cheer on! Greatly anticipate its completion.

Rhys

P.S.  Saw your thread and flight of the Hawker Fury...BRILLIANT
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:06:32 PM by Rhys » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 184

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »

I am surprised at the light weight of Depron - pity it is no longer available here.
I though I had read that it was available in sheets of 3mm coloured grey? I suppose the replacement will have to be Graupner Victor Board.

John
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 06:54:20 AM »

Thanks Rhys for comments.  John fortunately I have got enough foam for several more models if I can keep motivated!

Not much to show on the Provost, but getting there.

Fitted the Rx/servos for elevator and rudder and added 1mm CF linkages.Fitted aileron/servo linkages to wing.

Fitted wing to fuselage with plug at LE and M2 nylon screw at TE.

Made up cockpit with a couple of inhabitants.  Cockpit locates at front and held down at rear with magnet
and very small paper staples.  I used dull-side silver mylar strips glued to the vac formed cockpit, not perfectly
scale but near enough. Lined them up with the vac-formed cockpit cover located on the balsa forming block.
Easier to get the positions right on the form than on the cover itself.

Added balsa reinforcing plates to wing for landing gear attachment then glued the wire
legs to the plates. 

A bit stuck now as acrylic paint out of stock at usual supplier - but they took my money anyway and said
it won't be long. I think that I should paint the parts first before trying to hinge control surfaces with
magic-tape.

Final weight still not certain.  Probably 55g or thereabouts.  Too hot here to worry about that at the moment.
We still can't get on flying sites.  I went for a walk on local footpaths and bridlepaths yesterday and found
three lovely grass fields with long grass but not easy access.  Horse country - have to be careful.
EI1638
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »